Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites and Carnivale week (Half term potential clash 2018)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I sent an email to the Alta Badia Tourist office today to ask when the Carnivale week was next February. Unfortunately it clashes with our UK half term which is 10-17 Feb 2018. Even though we went to Venice for 2 days before this year (where the Carnivale festival had already commenced) we were told that they started a week later in the Dolomites. I wasnt aware of this.

So I am now wondering how much busier it will be next year. It was pretty good this year but am having visions of Paris school holidays and this is the exact reason why we are choosing the Dolomites (oh as well as wonderful, food, people, scenery, amazing piste conditions and of course Aperol Spritz!).

Anyone experienced a mass variation in half term over the years (which may account for the locals Carnivale holidays)? I've sold the lack of queues to our large party... and am now worrying! We are also looking at New Year as an option.

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've done the same, and extolled the virtues of Alta badia and those awful 1 minute queues.
I didn't know about the carnival
But looking at termdates.co.uk it gives the dates for all the Italian regions for this year
I've been to Alta badia twice now both at Feb half term and it has never been busy as in France.
I don't know but I'm pretty sure it's going to be ok.
If it's cloudy and a little snow the Italians don't ski anyway and we parked in the boe lift car park most days with no problems at all

One thing we did this year is get a piste basher to a Refugio for dinner. Amazing food and the children loved it we went to edelweiss in colfasco
If you have tried it you should number do this.
I have mixed feelings about shouting about Alta badia. It is so good, yet I don't really want everyone to leave les arcs as it will spoil it for folks like us.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just back from Madonna and it was Carnivale festival
Busiest we have ever skied in and not something we want to repeat, the conditions were fantastic and whilst we had a great trip the slopes were so crowded that we were always on edge.
I think it clashed with both Italian and German half terms which if so obviously contributed to the overcrowding but in 40 years skiing I have never seen the like.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This is what I'm concerned about. Next year it looks like there is only 1 half term date in U.K. which clashes with Carnivale certainly (not sure about Fasching, if that's how you spell it). Um think I'd better do a bit more investigation.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok so this year our half term was 11th-18th which had 5% of German schools holidaying in this period and no italian schools holidaying in this period.

Next half term clashes with both Italian Carnivale week and 22% of German schools.

The week that Steve.S holidayed presumably 24th Feb - 3rd March had Italian Carnevale week and 17% German schools holidaying in this period, so next year looks like it will be even busier. Not good at all Mad

Data sourced from snowheads link for German schools and off the web for Italian schools and the Alta basis tourist office.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I too was in alta badia at half term this year (w/c 11 February) and we are also torn between returning at new year or feb half term again next year. Luckily I think we seem to have a different half term in Derbyshire (w/c 17 February) so luckily we will miss Italian Carnevale (shrove tues is 13 February in 2018). Wonder if there are other English counties with a different half term?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mini_mo, From the sound of it, carnival week is going to be busy in the Dolomites.

But then I've always heard that New Year is also busy and it tends to be colder, have shorter days and less chance of natural snow covering.

I think we're going to stick with Corvara for next year's half term. I'm hoping 'busy' is relative to the normal queues in the Dolomites and they won't be as bad as they can be in France. But even if they are I'm sure the worst bits will be the popular routes like the Sella Ronda, Lagazuoi, etc and there will be quieter places that are less busy. I'd rather it was not going to be busy but for me I think it's still worth it for the good ski area, well looked after slopes, excellent food, friendly people and atmosphere, overall good value and lovely scenery. For us, this will be the last time we have to ski at half term ( I know 'have to' is not quite right as other options are available) and we'd like to make the most of it.

I have to admit though, this maybe isn't the time I would choose to take a large group there. Partly because they're all going to want to do the popular routes and these are going to be the worst in terms of queues.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy