Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski hire - tips for once a year skier

Poster: A snowHead
Perhaps this is just me being a cheapskate relatively, but I always get hire sorted via AlpinResorts to keep the cost down, but usually select one of the higher "rated" packages.

So for this year I chose the "Platinum 6*" (one from "top of the range" in the shop selected) at the SkiRepublic shop in La Plagne Centre (Les Ecrins). With the AlpinResorts discounts applied etc it was Euros 67 for skis only.

The skis I was given were these:
http://www.epicski.com/products/2013-head-i-supershape-magnum

And to be honest they looked a bit well worn. Didn't realise they were 2013 skis until today to be honest though.

After 1.5 days of driving to get there, kids in tow and the general busy-ness of the ski hire shop everything was the usual blur and I didn't think to question the skis. Plus I know so little about the current tech of skis or what brands / models are "good" or not that I don't feel in a good place to argue.

Now, this could just be my skiing ability, but I'm fairly sure the skis I got weren't "nearly" top of the range skis. In fact, I'm fairly confident that I would have ended up with these skis from this shop no matter which level on the range I'd picked.

I think I know enough to know that the edges felt blunt and that I didn't have too much confidence in them, but the hassle of going back to the shop mid-week and missing out on some ski time put me off doing anything about it. And as I've said, I feel I'm talking from a position of so little knowledge that I don't know whether I'd have a good argument / case to make to the ski hire shop in any case. It's like taking your car in and the mechanic saying that the big-wottsit has failed - I know nothing of use to contradict him!

So, before I forget - any hints or tips on checking over hire skis and trying to guarantee that you get a "good" pair, or at least one which seems to match the tiered system that the online reservation systems suggest. I always leave with the lingering suspicion that I've been "done".

(It doesn't help that AlpinResorts seem to use one grading system for the shop, and the shop's own website uses another, but that's another story!)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like there are two issues here:
- are the skis "top of the range"
- what condition were they in

Only you can judge the second one, but for the first question I think the answer is a definite yes: Head iSupershape Magnums (even from 2013) are great skis. But even great skis with blunt edges and no wax will not ski well.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Head Magnums are a decent high level ski, but you would hope that they would be from this year, or last year at the very worst. I have only used Ski Republic once for hiring for my sons....the equipment was cheap, but old and scruffy.

This year, going to the same resort, I used the next door shop (through Crystal) and booked the second from top range. I started with some 2017 Blizzard Quattro (daughter got almost brand new Nordicas) and then changed them for some Magnums (2016), which I preferred, but weren't as sharp as they might be. I didn't throw them back because the snow was mostly good and the shop hadn't complained when I looked to change.

So you were given a decent model, but it was too old for that standard of ski....IME. Ski Republic are cheap, but it shows in their kit.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@larkim, My son skis on green heads. In his opinion they are a very good piste ski. I would describe them as pretty much top of the range.

As for hints and tips:

Look at the bases, check the bindings (get them in your hand and check they are securely fixed to the ski) and feel the edges (you should at least be able to par your finger nails with them). I would also flex the ski and look for any delamination. Ignore scratches on the top sheet.

When I hire skis, which is very rarely, I ask the technician what they have in stock and walk around the shop discussing it with them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the feedback on the Heads. Good but dated (especially 3 seasons old in a hire shop) sounds about right.

Edges definitely weren't nice and sharp. Base was generally good I think, no significant gouges etc and I had no issues with the bindings.

Interesting that SkiRepublic don't seem to have a good reputation from the feedback so far - who would you generally recommend? We've had (I think) good experience with Skimium-affliliated (especially with Decathlon additional discounts, price wise) and Twinner-affiliated shops, don't think we've privately used any Intersport or Skiset ones (though probably have in the good ol' days when we booked packages through Crystal etc).

Perhaps I should really investigate what skis would be ideal for me before I go next time, so at least I can say to the technician "I'd like skis like XXX / YYY".
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Are you still skiing, most rental places will allow you one change a week so you could see if there was something else better suited to your skiing.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I used the Deep Snow shop in Tignes VC, which happens to be Skiset.....but shops vary and so the best thing to do, is ask on here for individual recommendations for your particular resort.

I normally don't hire, but Crystal had an excellent offer on lift pass/ski hire.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi, just wanted to add my experience with Ski Republic. Their shop in Châtel closed down, I only used them once a few years ago, and they now have Vertical Horizons (an independent) providing their hires through a franchise scheme. They also have Ski Evasion doing the same deal in Les Gets. I've always had good service and good new(ish) skis with sharp edges from the franchisees, but maybe it's because they're good independents.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Welcome to snowHeads @plasmastorm snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sadly sat back at work now. Did think about asking for a change, but in the end decided time on skis was better than time in a shop! And I'd managed to pick a hire shop which was too far away to walk to in the evening, so passed on that option.

Good to hear all Ski Republic shops aren't the same. Perhaps I was just unlucky!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
At 67 Euros for skis for a week, I'm not overly surprised that the gear was old.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The whole bronze / silver / gold ski hire thing, I've always been of the opinion that's just a marketing thing to make more money. When I used to hire skis, they pretty much always just looked at my height and weight and gave me something to suit (which was often wrong, in hindsight). I don't believe they ever checked what 'class' of ski I'd hired.

As @flaming points out there is probably also an amount of 'get what you pay for'. 67 euros a week is pretty cheap really and I would normally expect to spend at least double that.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I agree @flaming that it was cheap. The Alpin Resorts website lists the 6* level as getting you skis named (or equivalent to) - "Head WCUP Rebels I.GSR", "Elan Ripstick 96", "Blizzard brahma rtl adj" or "Rossignol Experience 88 tpx" - none of which, as far as I can see, are bottom of the range skis. According to the website, we're getting skis with a "normal" rental cost of Euros135 with a decent discount because we're buying through the AlpinResorts agency system.

If price is the issue, then fine, I should pay more (and I generally do agree that you get what you pay for) - but how do you distinguish between a "good deal" and "too cheap" when you're only renting these things once per year? I know that when I've been in hire shops in the past I've been pleasantly surprised that the list price on display for hire is always significantly higher than I've paid, so I've assumed that the advance purchasing / AlpinResorts system is actually getting me decent value compared to turning up in the shop on the Saturday afternoon.

I've just googled the skis my son got - bear in mind he is a miles better skier than I am, and for him we ordered the "Diamond 7*" range ski (theoretically the best they offer). He was originally presented with the same skis as me (same year and model), so clearly no differentiation. But asked for twin tips as that's what he has enjoyed skiing on in the past, and got some OK looking Salomon ones. I've now googled them and they were 2007 skis (these - http://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/salomon-teneighty-foil-2007.aspx) (I presume I'm right in assuming these were 2007 skis?)

You could argue that as we're not "good enough" to really be able to tell what is a good ski or not (mainly because we only get one week per year, so we haven't developed a feel for different skis etc etc) then perhaps we should just dumb down to the cheaper end of the market. But I am now feeling ripped off, even at the relatively low price we paid.

I've always felt a little uncertain that what we're getting is what I think I've ordered, but I think this year's is exceptional in hindsight.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here's (hopefully) a link to the page which offers the deals I took up (prices have varied a little since I booked) - https://www.alpinresorts.com/en/ski-rental/products?shopComp=skirepGB&startDate=2017-03-05&endDate=2017-03-10&promotionCode=SNOWBALL&shopId=2177&startPeriod=2017-03-04
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There is also the problem that many of the large tour operators or "loosely grouped marketing association of independentish ski shops" like to have 1 set of gold silver bronze prices across their entire winter operation as it's a lot easier to communicate, and tell the shops how much they're getting for each band.

And since operating costs and general "this is what the punters in this resort will pay" costs are different in different resorts.... what might get you a decent ski in a small hire shop in a small family resort, will get you a 3 year old beginner ski in one of the "premier" resorts. So the chap who has booked the gold package thinking he's going to get top quality skis for his holiday to the 3 valleys of EK or St Anton, or.... is then miffed to discover that the shop he's in will only give him old gear for the money the tour operator is paying them, and if he actually wants the shiny new skis he needs to get his credit card out.

Best advice is to book through the shop direct.
snow conditions
But given the list of skis that I was told I was getting (or "equivalent of"), do you think there's an argument I've been badly done by this time? Accepting that otherwise your advice @flaming is sound and your financial logic is good!
latest report
I guess it depends if you think that age has a part to play in "or equivalent of".

If you took the age of the ski out, then that ski is the equivalent quality of the ones mentioned.

I took a quick look at the website, and I cannot see any mention at all of the age the skis will be, so on that basis I don't think you were totally done, though advertising with pics (and stats of) brand new skis but then giving you 3 year old ones is not amazingly transparent...

With regard to your son, I think this is pretty standard. A lot of shops don't stock a lot of twintips, and when they do they're a bit of an afterthought and not actually in their top end range. So if you turn up having booked top of the range skis, but then ask for twins, you're probably not going to get top of the range skis.
latest report
Fair point about twins, and at least they did at least allow a choice, though (and this shows how out of touch with the tech I am) I wasn't really aware that twins were so out of date that 10 year old skis would be a fair provision. Last year in Flaine he got 2015 Smash 7s for 70Euros for the week (half term then too) and really liked them, so just assumed that getting something like twins would automatically end up getting a "good" ski, rather than something that's just sat around the shop since Tony Blair was PM in the UK!
latest report
Anyway, I've written to AlpinResorts to let them know the details. But interesting to hear other views about what I should / shouldn't expect with hire skis. Perhaps it's making me think more about buying my own...
snow report
For my trip to Tignes in March, I have booked with Skiset and ordered and paid for the Head isupershape Magnums, which at the time of booking are a guaranteed model. Now the picture of the ski on the website, shows the 2017 model (different graphics). I certainly expect to get this years skis but I wouldn't be surprised, given past experience with hire shops, to get given older skis.

I will have to see, but I am prepared to question the shop if this is so.

To quote an Amercanism, hiring is a bit of a crap shoot but for a once a year skier, I don't think owning and paying current airline carriage fees makes economic sense.
latest report
My last and my next trip ive just hired the basic/cheapest skis

The reason being there's around 10-12 in our group and we've hired all different category of skis over the years .We all hand over our pre-booked vouchers we are given any old ski that are about right for our height.
As an example me and my friend were given exactly the same skis but different lengths even though we are same height,weight and ability etc and we hired different category's .

So i've given up paying extra for better skis
snow report
First chalet staff now once a year skiers expect tips!
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, Laughing Laughing

The last two times I've been out to Courchevel and Meribel and used AlpinResorts. Both times got a very good price, and way cheaper than the TO or just turning up at a shop. Was happy with the skis, although being an infrequent skier I wonder if I could tell the difference between top end and bargain stuff... I've been to St Anton twice, so I'm usually happy to pay anything less than what you got fleeced for there. Can't remember which shop we went to, but both times I walked in they pretty much just laughed and picked something out - I am 6ft 7 to be fair, but still. Had a pair of 195cm Head Monsters one time, which I struggled on for a few days but got the hang of in the end.

I have my own boots, but don't think I ski enough to justify the cost and upkeep of a pair of my own skis really. AlpinResorts seems to be around €60/70, which isn't that much more than carriage.
ski holidays
My advice:
1. Buy your own skis if you want to improve your skiing, the less variables you have the deal with the better. And an inappropriate/poorly tuned ski will create more problems for intermediate level skiers than it would for an expert (sometimes ski on really old/cruddy stuff as a bit of a personal challenge).
2. The cost of renting and owning does tend to favour renting if you only ski 1 week a year, so look at it more from the consistency than cost basis (and most importantly, tell your wife how important it is!)
3. If you are going to rent ask advice here about the resort you are going to. Rental shops vary so much, and the franchise they are affiliated with is no guarantee. There is almost always someone on here with good knowledge of where is best to rent in particular resorts. You can then go online and rent with that store, getting the advance booking discount if available.
4. Never be afraid to go back to a rental store if you are not fully convinced about the skis you have been given. Most staff are less stressed and more happy once changeover day is over, and therefore likely to do their best for you.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy