Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dry ski slopes in Australia ?

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry bit or a random post but we are considering emigrating to Australia but the deal breaker would be that my son would go only if he can continue skiing. Ive tried googling dry slopes in Australia but am not coming up with anything. Don't suppose any of you have any info or can point me in the right direction to find out more info.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I grew up in Sydney and do not recall seeing anything. I did however learn to 'ski' on a grass ski slope near the Blue Mountains.

http://www.weekendnotes.com/kurrajong-heights-grass-karts/

The snow ski slopes were about 6 hours away. Things may have changed as been away for 14 years but I doubt it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ive looked at that option :-0 im shocked at the lack of dry slopes in Australia. Didnt realise how lucky we were here with all the slopes and ski clubs available.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think dry skiing is uniquely British just like Marmite Wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't think it's a totally British thing. There is a large Dry slope in Bethune,NorthernFrance, a couple in Belgium & around 8 in Holland. As well as at least 1 in Ireland.
There are always some Belgium/Dutch/Irish racers that come over here to compete in the "European" dry slope slalom champs whenever it is held.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Familyfuntimes wrote:
Ive looked at that option :-0 im shocked at the lack of dry slopes in Australia. Didnt realise how lucky we were here with all the slopes and ski clubs available.

I'd suggest that they are luckier than us, because they do have actual ski resorts.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Haha yes definitely lucky in that respect. Its just that my children love training weekly and really want to keep doing that somehow wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Get them surfing instead, with trips to the mountains now and then. I spent some of my childhood/adolescence in Australia. If you like outdoor sport and leisure, there's plenty of opportunity!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mikeycharlton wrote:
Familyfuntimes wrote:

I'd suggest that they are luckier than us, because they do have actual ski resorts.

They may have them, but they don't seem to be much closer to Melbourne or Sydney than the Alps are to London...

That or 3hrs flight to Queenstown NZ, or 10 hrs to Japan...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mikeycharlton wrote:
Familyfuntimes wrote:

We have Scotland and dry slopes! Cake and eat it.

Can't recall a dry slope in NZ either but there is a Snow dome in Auckland and resorts 4 hr drive away.

Have you found a gap in the market? Unlikely due to the low participation rate and the low population density. Would make dry slopes uneconomic.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Orange200, Mount Buller (3hr drive), Hotham and Falls Creek (4hr) from Melb.

Can't really comment on the ones in NSW as I haven't been to those.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mikeycharlton wrote:
@Orange200, Mount Buller (3hr drive), Hotham and Falls Creek (4hr) from Melb.

Can't really comment on the ones in NSW as I haven't been to those.

Bloody hell, just had a look at Mount Buller. Nearly £350 for a 6 day pass giving you access to a whopping 22 lifts and 80km of pistes. Do many people actually pay for that?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Suddenly a trois vallees lift pass looks cheap...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Australia: the most expensive lift tickets on the planet.Bar none.

We skied two days at Perisher and one at Thredbo during an Australia holiday in July 2015. Snow conditions were fantastic and we had an amazing time - it's just wonderful to experience full blown winter in the UK summer Very Happy. Those two ski areas are small (around 40km of piste) but skiing is skiing and they are definitely worth a visit.

However, its not just lift tickets that are expensive. Staying near to the skiing (in Jinabyne) was expensive too - ie two or three times the usual Oz nightly rate. And you also have to pay about $30 a day (IIRC) to drive into the national park each day....

So a bit of a dear do for three days' skiing but so worth it for a wonderful experience and fantastic memories. And a bit of a saving grace was that ski kit hire was cheap enough wink.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There is a Dry Slope being built near Perth, at a centre called Forest Edge. It will be Australia's 1st (I think). They have a Twitter Page https://twitter.com/drysnowsports
snow report
@mountainaddict, I've been to Thredbo and up to the summit of Mount Kosciuszko but that was during an (Australian) summer long before I started skiing. We stayed two or three nights in a holiday park on the shores of Lake Jindabyne. I don't think it was very expensive (we were very skint at the time) but I suppose the prices are hiked up during the ski season. Lovely place.
ski holidays
Quote:

I think dry skiing is uniquely British just like Marmite

There's three dry slopes in Ireland
ski holidays
I am currently living in Melbourne and there are no dry ski slopes here.

As @mikeycharlton says the closest slope is Buller and many people go every weekend - leaving after the kids finish school for the day.

Lift tickets are very expensive however if you get annual passes in September each year for the following year it's not poor value.

Accommodation is reasonable if you join a lodge but otherwise annual rentals can be super expensive.

Skiing from Sydney appears to be more of a trek!

Depending what school you are looking at (assuming Melbourne is a option??) there is an alpine school where you can go for a term.

Cheers
latest report
@Familyfuntimes, if Melbourne is an option then let me know and I can send you more info.
snow report
@Familyfuntimes, leave him behind? I mean, if he's old enough to have a vote, he's old enough to fend for himself... clearly.
ski holidays
Could think about moving to NZ. The schools near ski resorts get a day off school to ski every week over winter.
latest report
fly2much wrote:
@Familyfuntimes, if Melbourne is an option then let me know and I can send you more info.

Ditto.

No dry slopes in Melbourne. I ski at Falls Creek, one of the 3 major resorts in Victoria.

Yes, skiing is expensive in Australia, Falls is 5 hours from Melbourne, on-slope food barely edible, and the slopes are short. I still love it. Snow in Australia has its own charm and magic. Enjoy it for what it is, and do not try to compare it to true alpine countries.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy