Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone been on Dynastar Speedzone 14's??

Poster: A snowHead
One of my mates is 50 shortly and our mutual friends have lumbered me with collecting money off them all and then to buy him a new set of skis.

He's skied quite a bit, but rarely has lessons so his technique isn't cock on. He played prop for the local amateur RL side, so he's about 6', strong, heavy-ish but he still keeps fairly fit.

The online reviews seem to like the Dynastar Speedzones quite a lot; but does anyone with experience of them think they're a good fit for this fella?

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice prezzie!

I haven't skied them, but suspect the Speedzone 12 Ti would be more than adequate.

They definitely get great feedback.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, I've switched to them this season for a training and teaching ski. Really like them, they are similar to the Head Titans (if you know that ski), so very grippy and quite turny, but feel even more solid under foot when your ski them hard. They don't demand that you ski them hard all the time, so at a gentle pace they are very civilised and not at all tiring like a full on slalom or GS ski. I really like them and happy to recommend them to anyone who wants a piste performance ski. A very nice birthday gift from you and the chaps!

Just for completeness, I should note that Inside Out Skiing has a pro deal with Dynastar.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Old Fartbag, certainly better than socks!

Thanks, the 12's had crossed my mind too; but I thought his momentum may overcome any stiffness issues . Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rob@rar, thank you for the feedback. They sound as good as their reviews snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have the Speedzone 14 too - via Inside Out's pro deal - and like them a lot. They are really going to help me improve my skiing I think. Very confidence-giving once I got used to them.

Getting hold of a pair wasn't easy though - they are in very short supply. The 12 is exactly the same ski but with a different binding mounting system (the 14 has the race plate, the 12 a more standard rail). For a recreational skier the 12 is likely to be just as good.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@kieranm, that's worth knowing, thanks.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mosha Marc, hey bud. I've PM'd you.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've used the Speedzone 12. I'm 6 foot, heavyish and a bit older. Brilliant piste ski and not bad in the soft stuff either. Take the money and buy them for yourself Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@RUGBY PETER, ssssshhhhhh. I've told them I need about £800 Twisted Evil
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@spyderjon, Any chance of Dynastar letting you have some demos for the EOSB ski test?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Tubaski, someone brought the 12 ti to the ski test in Hemel bit not sure it was Jon
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Kamikaze Pete, it was Dynastar! But as far as I can see they are not attending the eosb. Jon is a Dynastar dealer though so I thought it might be worth asking...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dynastar are unable to attend the EoSB but I'm in discussion with them re some test skis for the EoSB but they won't know what they'll have available until nearer the time.

Correct that the 12 is the same ski as the 14 but with the excellent dual alpine/WTR SPX12 binding mounted on their Konnect rail whereas the 14 has the non WTR SPX on their predrilled race plate. Both are the same price but the 12 is more versatile as the bindings can easily be slid off the rail for transportation & the rail system makes for easy tinkering with the fore/aft binding position.

The 12 sold out early December but due to demand the factory are doing a limited run that are due to ship mid Feb so any buyers will need to be quick to secure a pair.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Put me down for a pair then fella snowHead
ski holidays
Just spoken to Dynastar & there's a currently a few pairs of Speed Zone 12's available in all lengths from the production run that's currently going through the factory & which will be despatched w/c 13th Feb.

When these are sold there'll be no more until the 17/18 production late autumn.
ski holidays

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 6-02-17 17:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 6-02-17 20:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
The 14's are my new favourite ski, really, really like them and they are rock solid ski for a heavier skier, Im 6'4" and 98kg and they dont flap when laid over... Personally I prefer the bindings on the 14 and think well worth the extra cash as they are much more solid than the SPX binders on the 12 but if not pushing the ski hard not much in it. Also the race plate allows easy shimming for delta angle adjustment if this is something you wish to do.. torsionally stiffer than the current Head i series and feels like the old head magnums used to be 7 or 8 years ago but not as heavy.
latest report
@skimottaret, the 14's are sold out.

And the 14 has the same SPX12 bindings as the 12, just on the Konnect rail instead of their R21 raceplate. Ability to shim the bindings is a benefit for the 14.
ski holidays
@spyderjon, yip sold out for a good reason Wink Sorry I didnt mention that I went for an upgraded binder SPX15 Rockerflex on my 14's and they are better all round than the normal SPX with an all metal toe piece, more elastic feel (dont pre release) and are only attached at one point in the heel which initially looks and feels a touch odd but seems to allow the tail of the ski to bend more and retain better grip rather than pinging you out. I have broke a couple "full action" toe pieces on the SPX12 version which has plastic wings and rotates when you come out... for a heavier bloke may be worth considering the all metal binders..

but if not a hard skier the SPX 12 binders on the Zone 12's would be a fine choice... plus they are in stock !
snow conditions
Quote:

for a heavier skier, Im 6'4" and 98kg

Scott, you're tall, not heavy wink
snow conditions
You say that, but you wouldn't want him to fall on you wink
snow report
@Mosha Marc,
I might only be 6'3", but I'm a lot heavier than 98kg.
ski holidays
Feels that way in the bumps Wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy