Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trip Report - St Anton 28th Jan - 4th Feb

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We went to St Anton on Sat 28th January with Crystal. Travelled as a couple (late 30s).

Flew from Bristol to Innsbruck on Austrian Airlines, which was superb! Lots of leg room and free food and drink - what's not to like? Holiday came with airport lounge, so coupled with a ten minute drive to the airport from our house, it was a very civilised journey indeed. Nice easy transfer at the end, too.

Stayed at the Hotel Alte Post. This was our first time in St Anton. We arrived too late for dinner on the first night but they gave us a glass of prosecco and some goulashsouppe.

Hotel - very nice. Very comfortable, huge room. Very 'traditional' Austrian decor Smile . Good food, nice pool and jacuzzi thing. Lovey staff.

The location of the hotel was fantastic for the lifts - right at the bottom of the Galzig and Gampen. What this did mean, however, was that it was pretty noisy at night. I knew that St Anton was lively, but I can usually sleep through revelry - not this time though. I was woken at 3am every night, by noisy clubbers walking past the hotel. Why do drunken Brits feel the need to shout down the street on their way home!? Not to worry - it didn't spoil the trip.

Right. The skiing. Fantastic! I got the lumpy pistes I wanted (didn't see an inch of corduroy until Thursday) and the resort is just superb. Excellent lifts, with very little in the way of cat track connections - just a wonderful way of getting up and down again. We managed to avoid any major queues, too.

Least favourite run - 100 - a busy blue with lots of carnage near the bottom.

Most favourite run - really liked by black under Fang, but for the views alone I'll go with 181 off the top of the Rufikopf (see bottom - sorry about the size!). The red off the Schindlerspitt was great, too.

Mountain restaurants - seem fewer than in other resorts, but quality good. We enjoyed the Ulmer Hutte and Rodelalm the best. Also had a nice stop in a place by Auenfeld. It was nice to have a chilled, sunny day above Lech on Thursday.

Apres - awesome, of course! We didn't sample the Mooser or the Krazy Kangaruh, on account of not being able to ski after drinking - as demonstrated by me sliding down the hill on my front after failing to put my skis on properly outside the Rodelalm, haha! For a quiet glass of wine we enjoyed Nicki's weinbar but mostly we went to Bar Anton for the good choons. Had a nice drink and an excellent burger in Basecamp, too.

We had a few calamities. On Monday night we stepped out of the hotel to go for a drink and unfortunately a chap who was walking towards me with his skis on his shoulders slipped and swung his skis into my face. Narrowly missed my eye, thank god! But still a fair bit of blood and shock and four stitches from Dr Glover at the arzt up the road. He has done a nice job, I think. We managed to pick up a 24 hour bug too at the end of the week, which was a shame.

But all in all a great holiday. We normally DIY but reverted to Crystal this time for convenience. Innsbruck Airport was absolute chaos at check in yesterday afternoon but the Crystal bits were all seamless.

(That's Zurs you can see down in the valley)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great report and great picture snowHead

Always a few hazards to watch out for in St Anton Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Jenniper, great trip report and fantastic photo Very Happy

I've just had my first day skiing in St Anton. Mostly great and the snow is in really good nick. There are some idiots to watch out for though. Both on and off the slopes. Worst was a pack of people standing all the way across the piste where piste 50 starts (on the way down to Mooserwirt. ) wish I knew some German swear words.

I'm staying at Hotel Schweiger which is opposite Mooserwirt and ski in ski,out. Luckily the piste side après stops at 8pm so very quiet after that.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jenniper, stunning photo. Off to St Anton again in a few weeks and can't wait.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jenniper wrote:

Apres - awesome, of course! We didn't sample the Mooser or the Krazy Kangaruh, on account of not being able to ski after drinking - as demonstrated by me sliding down the hill on my front after failing to put my skis on properly outside the Rodelalm, haha!

You can get to these Apres Bars (on the slopes) have a good time without having to ski down. Take your gear back to the Hotel , then take Free Ski Buss upto the Moos, its then a 5 minute walk to KK, Mooserwirt, Taps, Griabli, SenneHutte,Heustadl.

To get back to town you can walk down back to the bus stop but then take the footpath (lit) throught the woods then follow the road down to town (takes about 15mins)

It is safer than trying to walk down the Piste .
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jenniper wrote:
unfortunately a chap who was walking towards me with his skis on his shoulders slipped and swung his skis into my face. Narrowly missed my eye, thank god! But still a fair bit of blood and shock and four stitches from Dr Glover at the arzt up the road. He has done a nice job, I think.

Did you exchange details (IDCheck, address) for insurance purposes??
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stanton wrote:
Jenniper wrote:
unfortunately a chap who was walking towards me with his skis on his shoulders slipped and swung his skis into my face. Narrowly missed my eye, thank god! But still a fair bit of blood and shock and four stitches from Dr Glover at the arzt up the road. He has done a nice job, I think.

Did you exchange details (IDCheck, address) for insurance purposes??

No - I didn't anticipate him being insured for something like that. Would he need public liability insurance? What would cover it?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow - I never knew there was a lit footpath down from the Mooserwirt! Ah well - maybe next time.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It is compulsory in most European Countrys to have public liability insurance.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well it's not something you think to ask for when someone has just accidentally twatted you in the face.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy