Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Watch recommendations (With barometer)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

As a cyclist of many years, I am used to having all the latest info on my heart rate, temperature and speed on my wrist by using a Polar Heart rate monitor.

I want to invest in a watch that has a barometer, as when I have been on group trips, those with one have often been correct with their predictions!

Can anyone recommend a good watch for skiing. Don't want to time each run etc, but a barometer and alitutude function would be nice. I have looked at the Tissot touch watches, and am also a gan of Suunto although these are a bit pricey!

Don't want to spend more than £250 ideally!

Thanks for any advice

ScottyDog
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
scottydog, Mr S. likes his Suunto X-Lander, which cost him £199. Has a barometer and altitude function. Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Excellent, thats the very one I have been eyeing up! Thanks!

ScottyDog
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes i also have Suunto X-lander which i am very pleased with. I dont use for skiing but have used it for treking in nepal and the Alps and sometimes for new walks in the UK. you should shop around on the net to find the best price.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
scottydog, the new Polar outdoors range seem interesting. I have a polar HRM that I use for general training and it's great. I'm thinking of upgrading to an AXN-700. It apparently records height, rate of descent,number of runs, speed of skiing etc. All of which is completely useless but absolutely necessary.

I think for touring the barometer element is completely essential (or at least dead handy for navigation).

It's a lot cheaper I believe than the equivalent Suunto.

(Why do the Finns have an affinity for these things?)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
scottydog, If you want to save yourself a lot of money consider the Nike ACG Ascent. It has Barometer, Altimeter, Thermometer, Compass, Ski Run Timer, etc, etc (It even has a watch Smile ). Can be had for £30 on eBay at the moment. I bought one last year and have been happy with it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
scottydog, I've got the Suunto X6 HRM. I think it's the most elegant (for this kind of watch!) and all the functions work very well as you might expect from Suunto. It's got a very good HR monitor and barometer/altimeter, compass, thermometer, chronograph and inclinometer all work flawlessly. What you might not expect from Suunto however is that the button press system is not the most logical/intuitive/ergonomic. Lots of electrical/electronic devices are now so intuitive you hardly need the manual except for a few particularly advanced or sophisticated functions. The X6 isn't difficult to use but you need to think about the order of your button presses a little, which I've gotten spoilt enough to find irritating. Try before you buy if you go Suunto, as I'm sure it's the same with the other models in the range. It's got to be said, Colin B's suggestion sounds like an absolute steal!!

Interestingly I've got a Suunto dive computer which is absolutely fine!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
slikedges, the X6 is not optimised for skiing (i.e. no run count/speed.etc.) and the S6 doesn't have an HRM. I did ask and they said they weren't going to produce a combination version. Polar have beaten them to it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Murdoch, true
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
scottydog, if you already have the HRM/temp functions are you looking for just the add-on, or do you want it all in one package. If the former, then the bottom of the Suunto range, the Altimax, then does all the altitude stuff you need (barometer, trend, altitude, rate of ascent, number of runs etc). Comes in at about £100. I got mine from www.discount-watches.co.uk (current price £105) who claim to undercut everyone else, but I see www.facewest.co.uk have them at £99 at present (although without the spare battery). The Altimax has a much easier current log access (runs, cumulative up and down, elapsed time) than the higher models (single button scrolls though the active log), but misses compass etc - although I'd probably stick with a Silva for that. If you're a style victim though you'd probably think it a bit chunky. Other than that I'd probably go for one with GPS. If that Nike one does what it says on the tin it looks a great deal though.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have plenty of Polars as I am in the bike trade (so luckily trade price!) so the AXN700 is on my list, but then I will have an HRM for cycling (With speed sensor), an HRM for the gym, and another one for Skiing! And I won't have the HRM(heart rate) function on when skiing! Does look nice though.

Will take a look on Ebay for the Nike one, and thanks for the suggestions, which match my shortlist pretty much exactly, but always good to hear actual owner's opinions!

ScottyDog
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Colin B wrote:
scottydog, If you want to save yourself a lot of money consider the Nike ACG Ascent. It has Barometer, Altimeter, Thermometer, Compass, Ski Run Timer, etc, etc (It even has a watch Smile ). Can be had for £30 on eBay at the moment. I bought one last year and have been happy with it.

Cheers for the tip off. I have just bought one, as even at trade price the Polar isnt that cheap wink

Here is the link, he has nine more:

clikety here...

ScottyDog
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
scottydog, though in the weblink description there isn't a compass...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Slight hijack...

Does anyone know if wearing a heart rate monitor, basic Polar type, will interfer with my avy beeper? I've worn my HR watch when skiing groomers but would love to monitor a days bc touring... I don't like taking risks that don't involve adrenalin...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bump for info...
snow report
slikedges, there is a compass also. It's the same guy I bought mine from last year. He was very reliable, must have got hold of another load.
latest report
will let you know on the compass when I get it , but I believe that that model does have one (Which to me is an added bonus for £30 wink )

ScottyDog
snow report
Got the watch today - very prompt ebayer! Does NOT have a compass, there is an alternative model with this, as it explains in the instruction manual.

However, I am happy as I wanted a watch with a barometer, and its got that, and it has a long web strap so I can wear it over my jacket sleeve or ski glove cuff.

Thanks for the tip-off Colin B

ScottyDog
ski holidays
scottydog,

Glad you are pleased, 'cos I've just bought one as well.
snow conditions
Must have been selling the other model last year as mine has a compass (not that I've worked out how to use it) although I think it was about £40 then. Most useless function on it is the thermometer which just gives your wrist temperature unless you take it off and wave it about for 5 minutes.
snow report
scottydog, noticed that the ebayer still has some ACG Ascent watches available - how have you got on with the one you used ? Have you used it 'in the field' and how did it perform ? - I'd be interested in getting one myself at the price, I don't need anything remarkable as I'd just be using it 'for fun'...

Cheers

rs
snow conditions
I've got a new altimeter for this winter. It's a Swatch, it only has altitutude marked on the bezel so a little calculation is needed to work out BA. It has a filter inside to monitor the pressure changes and I can't believe how accurate it it. Over the last few days the pressure has been (annoyingly) stable, after calbrating the watch in the morning it gives me accurate altitudes all day even after dealing with fast decents and many lifts back up again. I've tried Suunto and an expensive Swiss altimeter this is the best I've tried so far.

It also strores my lift pass so no more 'lift pass salsa dancing' for me. (Electronic sensor lift pass system in Verbier and other resorts).

All this for 120ChF. Approx £55. Bargain.

FWIW I tested my HRM against both search and send modes on three types of beeper and pleased to say that no issues were found. I can now ski tour and work out how much cake I can eat. Very Happy
snow conditions
parlor, which Swatch model is it? The kids have Swatches for their lift passes and I quite fancy one, and I might as well get one with a useless (to me) function such as altitude thrown in.
latest report
Richie_S, I got mine last year and have used it in France, Norway and Canada on 3 trips. I also use it just for fun and it performs pretty well for the price.
latest report
parlor wrote:
a little calculation is needed to work out BA.

what is BA ?

and what model is it ?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy