Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GPS Trackers

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to buy my husband a GPS Tracker for Xmas to use on the slopes. Do any Snowheads have any recommendations of any reliable and effective products - there seems to be a huge choice. Thinking of £150 max. Thank you!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Brookside, ok what are you looking for a GPS system so he can see where he has been.... or a tracker (DTS Tracker by BCA, Ortovox etc) which is an avalanche trnaceiver
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You could do worse than an iBlue 747+, available from your local internet auction site for about £30.
It logs your movements, as often as every second I think but every 5 seconds saves memory and loses little accuracy, and presents it on google maps and other map formats, has a tabulated log of time, speed and altitude or you can use it as a GPS receiver bluetoothed to a laptop or TomTom.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CEM wrote:
Brookside, ok what are you looking for a GPS system so he can see where he has been.... or a tracker (DTS Tracker by BCA, Ortovox etc) which is an avalanche trnaceiver

...or even a 'personal tracker' which is a GPS and wireless modem combined into one unit that will report his position to a server or mobile phone so that she can see where he is!

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_nkw=personal+tracker
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was given a Backtrack. It's fun, cheap and easy but doesn't log your location.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was after something that he can use to see where he has been during the day - route/speed etc - download onto a PC or perhaps iphone? And ideally he can look at while he is on the slopes to help route plan... so yes log his location...

Thanks for any advice!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My Tracks for Android phones works well uploads directly to Google Earth

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&vps=1&jsv=292a&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=106712322946794352395.000494b858db163bc0a90

Just back from a Wednesday night MTB ride round the Essex marshes.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 10-11-10 21:10; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Holux 245. About £50 from Maplin. Tells you where you have been and makes nice files that show you exactly how fast you were going, what altitude etc. Ours has been used with success on skis, bike horse and on foot. Lasts for ages on its own batteries too.

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Brilliant - thank you and relieved I don't have to spend as much as I thought.... the Holux looks ideal
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nothing wrong with a bit of self promotion, don't forget to upload your GPS logs to get full analysis and some pretty graphs etc Happy

http://www.chuffnuts.com/pistemaps

Si
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Brookside wrote:
Looking to buy my husband a GPS Tracker for Xmas to use on the slopes. Do any Snowheads have any recommendations of any reliable and effective products - there seems to be a huge choice. Thinking of £150 max. Thank you!

Satsports has a dedicated 'sports gps' for skiing, golf, mountain biking, road riding, running, hiking, etc. We have 350 resorts mapped worldwide and counting and also offer Satski, the #1 ski app, for iPhone, Android, Windows Mobile and Blackberry - it's a real deal at $9.99. Check it all out at www.satsportsna.com

Cory
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Brookside, Maplin have discontinued the Holux - but now offer a Ventus:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=476703
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As I see this topic is quite old. In a couple of years gps device market had changed dramatically Smile Now everyone does have a smartphone with gps tracking ability. Maybe there is some gps trackers with altitude tracking features? This would be more desired feature. I've tested gps tracker - https://www.gpswox.com/en/gps-trackers-shop/all/personal-gps-tracker-coban-102b-12 It's good for skiing tracking in plains. But it doubt it effectiveness in mountains.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Andrey78 wrote:
As I see this topic is quite old. In a couple of years gps device market had changed dramatically Smile Now everyone does have a smartphone with gps tracking ability. Maybe there is some gps trackers with altitude tracking features? This would be more desired feature. I've tested gps tracker - https://www.gpswox.com/en/gps-trackers-shop/all/personal-gps-tracker-coban-102b-12 It's good for skiing tracking in plains. But it doubt it effectiveness in mountains.

But surely an app is still the best option? GPS is notoriously inaccurate for measuring altitude, but I have an altimeter app on my iPhone that can calculate altitude in three different ways:
1. Altitude direct from GPS
2. GPS gives location and altitude then extrapolated from the known height of that point.
3. IPhone internal barometer used to calculate altitude.

The only approach more accurate is probably a hand-held barometer combined with some way of establishing QFE/QNH, but that sounds like a lot of hard work for the vast majority of people. If your altitude needs are not safety-critical, then I'd stick with an app.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'am looking for an app that tracks members of your ski party on the slopes. Useful if some of the party want to go a different route & then want to meet up later in the day etc.
ski holidays
@Andrew911, Have a look at the app Maprika.
latest report
The free crystal ski app has the function you are looking for. Lets you look at the map and see where your freinds are on the mountain.

Obviously everyone needs to register and be using it etc.
snow conditions
Thanks. Both suggestions look good.
latest report
@Andrew911, our very own @davidof has written an app for Android to do just that:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2991129#2991129
snow report
Just use Strava on your phone.
snow report
Andrew911 wrote:
I'am looking for an app that tracks members of your ski party on the slopes. Useful if some of the party want to go a different route & then want to meet up later in the day etc.

Obviously, Find My Friends would do that. Is the problem that you want the piste map overlaid and can't do that with FmF?
ski holidays
@Andrew911, if you're skiing in Paradiski, the Yuge app does that for you, as well as all the other malarky that we get these days.

http://paradiski.com/espace-yuge/
latest report
Now my two children are skiing, usually in different classes, this looks good. However, how much do these rely on data? If we ski in Andorra (usual) or Canada (happened once and I hope again), will it kill us with data charges?
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:

3. IPhone internal barometer used to calculate altitude.

I had no idea the iPhone (from 6 onwards) had a barometer! You learn something new......

Edit - But not in my SE, DAMN you Apple........
snow conditions
@galpinos, You don't often see this in the UK Very Happy

snow report
altis wrote:
@Andrew911, our very own @davidof has written an app for Android to do just that:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2991129#2991129

Thanks for the plug. I use SMS because it is the most reliable communications method in the mountains - it only requires a cell to be available for a few mS.

It is a free app that I wrote for my own use. Next thing I'll do is add a PIN code so you can setup a kids phone and they won't be able to change the settings.
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@Andrew911, Have a look at the app Maprika.

The Maprika app looks abandoned and hasn't been updated since iOS7 2013. Is it up to date? The maps look very poor quality.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy