Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Polarised lenses

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've always thought that polarised lenses would be a bad idea for skiing, add they would filter out some of the light waves, and possibly make the definition of the landscape a bit weird.

An optician I asked agreed with me, however I've seen some goggles advertised with polarised lenses, so am I talking rubbish?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@t40ora, You can certainly get polarized goggles. I tried some Jublo Orbiter with polarized lenses, they were too small for me, but I didn't notice any unusual optical effects.

I suspect that polarized lenses work best in bright conditions as the light loss that results from the polarization would be beneficial.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Polarised lenses really just block light at a certain polarisation. The main effect I'd expect you'll get is deeper blue skies at certain angles on sunny days and less reflected light from the snow. Nothing too detrimental that I can think.

I'd be surprised if they affected the definition of the landscape. Can you explain a bit more?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The main downside of Polarized lenses is that they may make icy patches harder to recognize (by cutting the glare).

Some people swear by them, whereas others think that it is extra money for little benefit, as the snow reflects light at a myriad of different angles, thus greatly mitigating the polarizing effect (which only works on a certain plane).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think the last post makes sense, in terms of what the optician meant. I know about the single plane thing, so this kinda gels.

I've some sports glasses I use due shooting that have one set of polarised lenses. I'll give them a try, against ordinary ones, when we go back out on March.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@t40ora, buy some Persol sunglasses. Make sure the ones you buy are Chromatic lenses. Job done!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have the Zeal goggles which are photochromic and polarised and having had various Oakley lenses from persimmon to fire iridium and some weird brown lens I bought once which is midway between the two.

I'd say the lenses in the Zeals are the best I've ever had as they just seem to feel right in all conditions.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gad wrote:
I have the Zeal goggles which are photochromic and polarised and having had various Oakley lenses from persimmon to fire iridium and some weird brown lens I bought once which is midway between the two.

I'd say the lenses in the Zeals are the best I've ever had as they just seem to feel right in all conditions.

Me too. Have used Zeal polarised photochromic goggles for years, wouldn't change them! Got some Zeal Fargo's now which fit great. There's no noticeable visual distortion and no need to change lenses, what's not to like?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oakley prism is much better than polarised imo. Have skied Oakley polarised for years and this year bought Prism goggles......much improved clarity.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Markymark29 wrote:
Oakley prism is much better than polarised imo. Have skied Oakley polarised for years and this year bought Prism goggles......much improved clarity.

Good to know that Oakley Prism lenses are better than Oakley polarised lenses. wink

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 6-02-17 13:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another vote for Oakley Prizm...with Prizm Rose being the most versatile.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've got the sapphire lens, with pink for fog/ bad visibility, works well.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy