Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

German vs Austrian train tickets

Poster: A snowHead
Morning all,

I've been playing with transfer options between Munich airport and Saalbach. Having decided transfer bus is too much and I simply cannot be fussed with mafia that is car hire firms I started to look at train tickets and found the following:

Munich Airport to Zell am See - 28th Jan 09:04
www.bahn.com (German) = EUR 57.70
www.oebb.at (Austrian) = EUR 19.00

Zell am See to Munich Airport - 4th Feb 13:44
www.oebb.at (Austrian) = EUR 53.00

As you can see it works out a fair bit cheaper (EUR 43.44!!) booking the tickets via the Austrian rail office then it does the German office. Other then Switzerland I've never used European trains before so wondered if there will be an issue with me booking an Austrian train ticket to start my journey in Germany? the fact it lets me buy it one would think not, but just wondered if anyone has any more informed advise?

Cheers Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There should be no difference.

Are you sure you are looking at the same train, time, and ticket type? The sort of figures you have quoted are typical of the difference between fixed and flexible tickets. The former is restricted to a specific train, on a specific day/time, while the latter lets you travel within a 2 day window.

We regularly travel between Zurich and St Anton, and I will use either the SBB or OEBB websites, depending on my mood. No difference in cost.

Bottom line: there will be no problems with buying a Germany to Austria ticket from either national train service.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What he says^^^^^. The other small diff will be reserved seats included or excluded.

Maybe Austrian has some saver tickets where dbahn didn't on outward leg? Which is odd but possible
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@scyco, it's a 'Sparschiene Ticket', meaning 'Means of transport and departure date and time are fixed. Cancellation not possible'.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ahhh thanks all. I knew I was missing something. Still based on flight timings with Swiss and cost saving I guess it's worth the gamble of having a fixed train. Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
scyco wrote:
Morning all,

I've been playing with transfer options between Munich airport and Saalbach. Having decided transfer bus is too much and I simply cannot be fussed with mafia that is car hire firms I started to look at train tickets and found the following:

As you can see it works out a fair bit cheaper (EUR 43.44!!) booking the tickets via the Austrian rail office then it does the German office. Other then Switzerland I've never used European trains before so wondered if there will be an issue with me booking an Austrian train ticket to start my journey in Germany? the fact it lets me buy it one would think not, but just wondered if anyone has any more informed advise?

Cheers Smile
Just a quick question? How many of you are there?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Two of us...

jafa wrote:
scyco wrote:
Morning all,

Cheers Smile
Just a quick question? How many of you are there?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There is a Bayern ticket that would get you from Munich airport to Salzburg/Kufstein. Thats about 24 euros for the first person and 3/4 euros for every one else up to 5 I think. But you`d still need a ticket from Salzburg to Zell. So for about 30 euros each way, youd have a ticket to and from MUnich to your entry into Austria, then an extra ticket to Zell. They are not time restricting and can be bought freely on arrival at Munich airport. The only caveat for them is they are not for use on the faster Inter city type trains.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Bayern ticket is particularly good for groups. There is an equivalent Austrian ticket you would have to buy on the station in Austria. Again fast trains are not covered but the regional trains are.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yup, I always get a Bayern ticket from Munich to Salz and then just buy the final stage Austrian ticket. Even for a single person travelling it is usually a bit cheaper than any other option.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all, the info ref the Bayern ticket is very useful!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@scyco, on the Austrian railways site you want yo check it includes the whole route and not just section.

If travelling on a Saturday between Jan & March .. Austrian railjet operates a new service. Ftom Munich to Feldkirch calling st Salzburg , Innsbruck St Anton various other stops
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
About to do a Munich trip ... should I book online and do they do a printable ticket if so?

Munich to Westendorf

advice appreciated Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I always book online but you don't have to. If you do you can print your ticket.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You can only my the much cheaper saver / fixed train ticket in advance, so if you are pretty sure on your train times then u need to do that online. Flexible ticket I think is same online as walk up price. To b ehonest why wouldn't you do it in advance and print it out, saves a job at the station and if time is tight and queues are long.......
snow report
If you do pre-print ticket, be aware that you must have the exact same credit/debit card present with you on the train. The ticket inspector scans the 2D barcode on the print and swipes the card (even if it's expired in the meantime) to verify it.

I pre-book ICE/Eurocity tickets (and get a seat reservation), but don't bother for just S-Bahn and regional tickets that don't have seat reservations. Ticket machines are all in multi-languages, but may be confusing in that they can serve either DeutscheBahn tickets or tickets for the local/regional transport union, and depending on where you go, one or other will be valid. I *think* that Munich-Kufstein, as an example, could be had with either a DB ticket or a MVV? (Munich regional transport) ticket or the Bayern ticket. All using the same trains (unless it's IC/ICE/EC, which will be DB only and attract a premium).

Might be worth pre-booking, if only to sort the faff before you go.
snow conditions
Sue used to say a Bayern ticket was the way to go

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2817552&highlight=bayern+ticket#2817552
ski holidays
andy wrote:
If you do pre-print ticket, be aware that you must have the exact same credit/debit card present with you on the train. The ticket inspector scans the 2D barcode on the print and swipes the card (even if it's expired in the meantime) to verify it.

I have never had that happen to me. I have been using internet-printed tickets for a very long time - cannot remember when they started - and not once have I been asked for a credit card for verification. Heck, they usually do not even ask for a passport. Is it something that had come in since March 2027?
snow report
@ulmerhutte, it happens to me. They warn you when you buy the ticket online you have to have the card with you, and mostly they check (IME). I am fairly sure it's as been in place for as long as I have been taking German trains, which was when I moved there in 2009.
snow report
I've had my card checked along with the ticket, probably about 100% of the time when using pre-printed tickets within Germany. On the Austrian part of the cross-border service, the OeBB ticket inspectors don't always scan the card, but the German/DB ones do IME. The website does warn you.
snow report
The OeBB tickets require photo id not the credit card, so you need both to hand to be safe whichever site you buy the tickets from. My experience on the prices is that the Sparschiene tickets disappear from the DBahn site before the OeBB site, so I always check both. Booked well in advance nearly always gets the €19 price. Even got 1st class for €29 once. Lovely Swiss train with the wrap around glass windows. Note that some trains from Munich go the shorter route to Zell via Woergl, others through Salzburg. 45 mins difference. Have a good trip.
snow conditions
I've had my ccard checked on German trains before. They are nothing if not ruthlessly efficient!
I can't remember which card I used for my up coming trip, but I'll have the all with me if I can't work it out.

I went went on whatever their super fast intercity is called, possibly between Dusseldorf and Frankfurt, where they have an on board speed reading to let you know just how fast the driver is caning it!
ski holidays
Exactly what I opted for. I got 1st class for EUR 24 Heading out. Figured the time saving with the quick train and more direct route and additional 5 for the 1st class even if it is only a little bit quieter was worth the extra Smile

hilary t wrote:
The OeBB tickets require photo id not the credit card, so you need both to hand to be safe whichever site you buy the tickets from. My experience on the prices is that the Sparschiene tickets disappear from the DBahn site before the OeBB site, so I always check both. Booked well in advance nearly always gets the €19 price. Even got 1st class for €29 once. Lovely Swiss train with the wrap around glass windows. Note that some trains from Munich go the shorter route to Zell via Woergl, others through Salzburg. 45 mins difference. Have a good trip.
latest report
Quote:

I can't remember which card I used for my up coming trip, but I'll have the all with me if I can't work it out.

I think the PDF ticket show the last 4 digits of the card no.

Quote:

I went went on whatever their super fast intercity is called, possibly between Dusseldorf and Frankfurt, where they have an on board speed reading to let you know just how fast the driver is caning it!

All the ICE have that. Köln-Frankfurt section is 280km/h iirc (might be 300).

My best ticket was Frankfurt-Geneva for €39 return. Definitely worth the €10 each way to go 1st class.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy