Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scott Slight 93

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ski gear is getting lighter. The Slights are only 100 grams heavier than Scott’s Superguide touring ski and nearly 25% lighter than the Volkl Kendo. To maximise the benefits of going light it’s worth having a medium weight touring boot (mine are Scarpa Spirit 4) which is more than stiff enough and very comfy.
Choosing a binding posed a bit of a dilemma as it has to fit the touring boot sole without the complexity and cost of a touring binding. In the end I went for the Warden 11 MNC which weighs about the same as the Shift but cost a quarter of it’s £400 price tag.
On the snow this translates into a wonderful feeling of lightness; the skis are nimble, quick edge to edge and are easier to ski harder for longer.
The Slights look hi tech with their smokey tinted top surface giving a glimpse of the carbon lattice reinforcement. Not sure why they have the skin hook holes as if you want to tour you would get the Superguides. The shape is classic hour glass showing off the short radius. They are surprisingly stiff.
The Slights love to turn. They are fabulously easy especially in short turns. They are quick, have great edge grip and energy launching you from side to to side down the fall line. This is a fun playful ski which you can either hang on to the edge or release the tail and slide the last part of a turn. They can feel a little hooky which is a price worth paying for the quick turning ability.
On hard snow there is a limit to the grip but often it’s my poor technique rather than the ski.
The light weight and carbon might suggest a nervous chattery ride but in fact they are fairly damp and composed at speed.
Leading snowploughing children skiing slowly in round turns is a pleasure.
Despite being easy to ski they are also precise and reward good technique and would be a good ski to grow with.
Slush and mashed potato pose no great problem probably helped by the wide tip and early rise.
The nimble, grippy and precise ride is perfect in the bumps.
In 60 cm of fairly heavy new (bottomless) snow the Scotts are out of their depth. They are not a floaty ski. It is difficult staying centred and hard work turning. A day later allowing the snow to consolidate and dry out makes all the difference. They feel more stable and much easier to turn. A foot of new snow on a firm base is dreamy. In tracked out snow they are surprisingly composed.

The Slights (or S Light?) are for you if you like a lively all mountain ski with a piste and short turn bias that are going to let you ski for longer without getting tired. They would be best paired with a powder ski for deep days.

I have the 175 and am 5’10” and 70kg.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy