Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you ski with iPods???

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, well doesn't have to be an ipod- any music player really but obviously the advent of iPods has increased people having earphones in their ears!!

Do many of you ski with music playing? I'm taking it it can't help with your perception (can't hear a thing in case a snow cat starts chasing you!!)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not any more. I used to ski with a walkman when I was younger, but now I find I need to concentrate on my skiing rather than enjoying the music. I'm not sure whether that's because I'm getting old or because I ski at a higher level which demands greater concentration!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I personally don't. The warning scream from an out of control skier behind me has saved my bacon several times.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have a creative zen and have been trying to get the earpieces to go with my Giro 9 helmet but no one has them at the moment. My partner has them and is only allowed to listen on the lifts although did catch him out a few times last season listening to tunes down the pistes!

Personally think they could be classed as a tad dangerous as you should be concentrating. Maybe as rob@rar.org.uk, says it is an age thing!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Paul Holland, Good point. Maybe skiing whilst listening to music is not such a good idea. You do really need to be able to hear the things going on around you. I've got an iPod Nano, and tbh, I'd be too scared to death of breaking it out on the pistes!! My parentals would kill me lol. I suppose listening to music in lift queues is okay. I don't need music to entertain me though, I already have my entertainment, in the form of a large group of about 8 loony guys. Very fun indeedy! Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm against the iea of skiing with music, mainly due to the 'safety' implications stated above.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I know lots of people that always snowboard to music, but only one or two snowboarders. I've tried it but don't enjoy it. I can see why you might in the park but not freeskiing. I agree with the others, it's potentially dangerous and frankly anti-social. I hate trying to get their attention when my buddies are plugged in. I love the sound of skiing, why spoil that??? Twisted Evil
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You definetly need some tunes in the Park! Gets you physched and ready for the next hit. If you're not listening to music you just think about the consequences of it going wrong. Biggest stacks last year were when I forgot to press play first Blush

Said that I'd probably stick around when DS was back up and running.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We had this discussion last season and it got quite heated. Personally I do ski with music and see nothing wrong with it. I can see the logic behind the safety argument, but when I've got a hat over my ears, and am skiing fast with the wind rushing by my ears I wouldn't hear much around me anyway. And also I feel that argument suggests that people who are hard of hearing shouldn't be skiing...

Of course if you find it difficult to concentrate with music then don't listen to it. But that's a personal choce, no different to whether or not you listen to music whilst driving.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't: partly for safety, partly because it blots out a part of the outdoor experience, and partly because good music deserves to be listened to undistracted.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
too dangerous
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was guessing that it may not be a popular idea (for the obvious safety implications)

It does perplex me with these new iPod jackets that have control buttons built in, guess there must be a market for it I suppose!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I agree with beanie1. I ski to music when I am on my own, a wild eclectic mix of stuff on 'shuffle' Never know whether Handel or Janis Joplin, Bach or Garbage are coming next. I also listen to the good bits undistracted, but some music, though good to ski with, doesn't merit any special reverence (e.g. The Ultimate Rock and Roll Collection)

It is especially good if you are tired, the weather is crap, etc. Perks you up, gets you turning rhythmically. I don't believe its anything like as dangerous as people who suddenly stop in the middle of the piste to turn round and look backwards at what they think might be coming down after them. Yes, it can be antisocial, if you are in a group with others, but there are lots of more antisocial things - e.g. lighting up ciggies on a chairlift, skiing off in an impatient huff because someone in the group is adjusting their goggles, looking a map, having a pee etc, or taking off fast and first, leaving another competent but less selfish skier to 'bring up the rear' and pick up the straggers.

When with others I often do have my music on, but always switch off when in a queue, on chairlifts, standing around discussion where to go next etc. It's amazing how heated the thread on this topic became last year -though it was always the people without music who seemed to believe that those who like to ski with music were guilty of vandalism, lack of appreciation of the mountain, criminal negligence, etc. I suppose all those people refuse to let anyone listen to the radio in their cars, too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I do sometimes listen to the ipod when skiing, if im skiing with friends i leave it swiched off. but most of the time my friends end up stopping before i do, and when skiing on my own i will almost allways have the ipod on. Its no worse than driving with music on, (which in my car is generally a lot louder than what im listening to skiing.)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Depends of you're listening to the "Avalanches" or not, can't go down to ironry! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Personaly, I think its on a par with drink driving. You're just being negligent.
....and if you're skiing with mates antisocial too...
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, are they prog rock?
latest report
markP,

So if a deaf person skis, are they being negligent?
latest report
Not in a million..!!
snow conditions
beanie1, I'd have to give the following argument:
a deaf person can't help being deaf. Therefore they have no choice but to not hear. But people who listen to music are choosing to remove a large proportion of their senses. Therefore, they are being far more negligent.
ski holidays
Wild guess but I think you'll see more deaf skiers that were deaf from birth than skiers that have lost their hearing later on. Deaf people are less scared than people who have lost their hearing (not hard of hearing), they become jumpy because they used to be able to hear stuff so are missing a sense. Also losing your hearing can effect your balance so they find it harder to ski. Just things I have learnt whilst working with deaf people. I'd love to set up a charity allowing people with certain levels of disability to access the mountains and ski... One day. Twisted Evil
latest report
I wish you good luck with that parlor, it's a great idea!
snow report
beanie1, I think mark s sums up what negligent means quite well.
latest report
There is one big difference between skiing with an ipod and having music on in your car.....namely headphones!! If I have my car stereo pn, I can still hear other noises around. If I drive with my ipod on (using the headphones) then I have far less awareness of surrounding noises.
ski holidays
'Do you ski with IPODs ???'

No, I use skis...
snow report
parlor wrote:
I'd love to set up a charity allowing people with certain levels of disability to access the mountains and ski... One day. Twisted Evil

Here's some info

And here's a lot more
latest report
I love having my iPod on when I'm skiing. I also cycle in London traffic with it on. I can understand why people would see this as risky, but... I don't have it turned up too loud - when I'm focused on the road/my turns/surrounding skiers etc, I'm not listening to it. I can still hear sounds around me (those little earbuds don't block out much on their own and without the music pumped up too loud I don't seee that much problem - no more than wind noise etc).

The key factor in my view about safety is not your peripheral awareness but that if you have the music too loud and get too pumped up by a high-octane track you're more likely to attempt ski beyond your ability (i.e. crash hard).

For me it's background music, and when you're cruising, or at the beginning and end of a run - and of course on the chairlifts - you enjoy it, if I'm into my skiing on a steeper section etc, I'm oblivious to it. Personally I find it really contributes to my enjoyment.
snow report
My (teenage) kids like to ski with their mp3 players on, but I suspect that;s mostly to drown out the sound of me singing! Toofy Grin

I find a bit of Karaoke on the slopes helps me deal with the tricky stuff without having to change my underwear quite so often Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AxsMan, ha ha, I sing to myself when I'm skiing too!!! I thought I might be the only person in the world who did that!!
ski holidays
One of my friends has been known to sing 'Happy talk' to get him down the mountain when particularly suffering.

Back to the subject, I won't ski to music - mostly for safety reasons but also because I prefer a bit of peace and quiet when skiing (besides, I can listen to music any time I like).
snow conditions
nightshift,

Maybe we could form a band!, Cool

(as long as the audience were all 1) a long way off, 2) skiing in the opposite direction, and 3) listing to their ipods.)

Any other Piste performers out there? (should that be pi$$ed performers?) Laughing
latest report
AxsMan, I play the guitar, but so far not on skis. ISTR a Bond girl sliding on a cello case though!
ski holidays
laundryman, nightshift,
Ok so that's two vocalists, lead guitar (hope it's acoustic or you'll need a long cable!), any skiing drummers out there?

Forgive me but ISTR=?
ski holidays
AxsMan, ISTR = I seem to recall/remember
snow conditions
Skiing with ear phones is a little bit dangerous because it really does block out the surroundings.... going with the likes of giro tune ups isnt as bad, you have much more chance of hearing what is going on around you.

To continue on the deaf person idea.... if a deaf person is ok because they have no choice, that means anyone with the choice is negligent not being safe (i.e. not listening to music). So change tacts.... why then do so many people not bother with helmets? They again have a choice.... so is not wearing a helmet less dangerous than wearing a helmet with tune-ups?

Adam
ski holidays
Its that old chestnut - balance is required.
Listening to music is not dangerous per se... not being aware of your surrounding can be though and that can equally apply to an ignorant idiot without headphones.

As I become more confident skiing/snowboarding on my own I find that I like having music - particularly on lifts and if there are queues. Volume goes down while I'm skiing - and usually gets turned off completely if its busy on the slopes.
snow conditions
I don't listen to music while skiing. If my kind of skiing was so boring that I'd need to jazz it up with music, I probably wouldn't ski. I'd sky-dive while listening to my iPod instead! Shocked Cool
snow conditions
at the risk of being Mr Logic, this:

buns wrote:
anyone with the choice is negligent not being safe

is not a logical conclusion from this:

buns wrote:
a deaf person is ok because they have no choice
ski holidays
Re: DO YOU SKI WITH IPODS???
I would like to complain about this string, tried skiing with ipods & it ruined them, they broke up inder my boots & were hopeless for carving, I would advise evryone to use ski's. Laughing
ski holidays
I have two iPods - a chunky one and a shuffle (for running etc). I love music but I wouldn't use an iPod when skiing. Basically, I love the mountains even more, don't spend enough time in them and so when I am there I don't want corrupt the mountain experience.

But wait a minute I hear you cry - don't ski lifts/bright coloured ski suits/swarms of people also corrupt the mountain experience. Well yes they do to an extent. Avoiding them is one of the many great things about off-piste skiing. When I'm on piste I can't avoid them but I can avoid diluting the experience more with man-made sounds.

BTW I ride a bike in central London. I don't use an iPod for that either but for safety reasons only! I find having my radar working effectively as possible minimises the risk of getting comped by other road-users - the risk/reward of headphones doesn't make sense for me in London traffic.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy