Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First skis advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for some advice on buying my first pair of skis. I can ski blues and easy reds fairly comfortably but not anything more. Probably skiing about 5 weeks a season and want to progress by improving my technique. Not interested in skiing super fast or anything - just want to enjoy it and be comfortable. Would maybe like to try some basic off piste some time in the future. I'm 6ft tall and about 13.5 stone. I was looking at the Rossignol 84 Hd? But am concerned they might be too advanced for me. I want something I can grow into but won't be too difficult for me to ski on now if that makes sense. Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not being unhelpful but on what basis have you picked out those skis?

Rossignol Experience 84 are a popular middle of the line ski, you could see them about last year a lot with instructors and ski patrol. If you're mainly looking to carve up the pistes though, 84mm underfoot is making your life unnecessarily harder. I'm taller and heavier than you and my piste skis are 80mm underfoot and I wouldn't want to go any wider.

I say this to everyone - and now that we're 'in season' and the special offers are mostly done with, I would seriously spend your first week or two going back and forth from the hire shop every other day to try a few different things. Try different lengths, widths and different stiffness, different shapes etc... the more you try the more you will notice the subtle differences and that should qualify you to come back and pick something which suits you rather than just looking good in the catalogue
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that dp. I chose it from looking at reviews on line. Maybe I'll wait a bit and try some hire skis then.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Reviews online are utterly useless though really aren't they. On the basis that:
1) If the person reviewing them is not the same height/weight/build/ability and of the same opinions as you, them saying something is good does not refectl how you feel.
2) If their boots and bindings differ, and the location, conditions, snow, etc differ from where they did the review to where you ski, then that's all useless too.
3) You don't know if the review has any corporate ties or whether it's completely independent.
4) You don't know if the reviewer is qualified to make the review. They could be a crap skier. Or they might be a competitive slalom skier reviewing a powder ski. Or a freestyle skier reviewing a racing ski.

With my current piste skis, they got generally unflattering reviews but I love them. The skis which I expected to buy, because they got great reviews... I thought they were boring and felt like they were made of soggy cardboard. It really is down to taste. The simple fact is that from the big names - whether it's Salomon, Atomic, Head, Rossignol or whatever... they're all huge brands with a lot of experience in this stuff. None of them are going to bring out (IE produce several thousand units of) something which is bad. Everything they produce will be tested by their skiers, reviewed, adjusted, trialled again, etc before it's brought out. Nobody can afford to put a bad ski on the market. The only separation between skis - and the reason so many exist - is literally because we as a race are picky, opinionated nawkers who all like something a bit different to the next person.

So this is why I think that buying something on the basis that somebody who is not you, on a different day, in a different place, on different snow, in different conditions, with different tastes, different experience, different interests, different benchmarks, etc etc - says that it's good or bad - is a bit silly!

If you use a big rental shop - somewhere with a lot of choice - they normally have no real issue with you going in every couple of days to change. They respect that this is the way most new skiers can choose the right ski for them. If you tell the shop you're looking to buy your first pair, they'll normally be as helpful as they can on the simple basis that they'd like to think you'll buy from them!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ghanny wrote:
Thanks for that dp. I chose it from looking at reviews on line. Maybe I'll wait a bit and try some hire skis then.

Skis have become so specialized, that you have to be very sure of where you want to ski in the future....so I think that's wise.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Ghanny, in the same position as you I bought some K2 Impact skis, based on internet research. Which is what a lot of people here advise against. But I knew I'd be skiing quite a bit, so avoided hire cost and hassle. And figured they are probably better than hire skis. Worked out fine for me. They are quite a forgiving and confidence inspiring ski. I've seen a number of other Snowheads also mention K2 Impacts. I think the equivalent now is the K2 Konic. But I haven't read any reviews.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ghanny,
If your looking for something narrower and more piste oriented and you're happy with Rossignol then you ought to look at their Pursuit range. Currently Decathlon have the Pursuit 400 on special offer at £180.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Had a chat in one of the shops and he said not to bother as snow too poor to try out properly. Am back in Feb and they do a deal where you can rent 3 skis over 3 days and they knock the rent off if you buy so am going to do that then. Thanks for the advice.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Do your research before you take them up on that deal, @Ghanny. Resort prices can be very high and you might find that the price they're charging (with the rental taken off) is still dearer than buying them elsewhere and paying the rental! The shop is interested in what's best for them - not what's best for you.

The annoying thing is, you should possibly try out more than 3 skis. The best way to test skis is really:
FIRST: Ski lots of different skis and work out what properties work for you. IE longer/shorter, wider/narrower, stiffer/bendier, etc
THEN: Ski numerous skis which all fit the criteria of what you found out above.
THEN: Choose your favourite ski within the category.

The reason for this - is that if you just ski 3 skis, what you might buy is the lesser of 3 evils. If you find that a stiffer, longer ski suits you best; don't just buy the first long stiff ski you try, on the basis that it's the best so far. You should try at least 3 skis within the bracket of the characteristics which suit you.

Don't worry - I completely understand the counter argument which is that if you're going to buy, you may as well buy soon and save yourself the rentals. Just remember that second-hand skis lose their value very quickly so buying the wrong thing is a costly error and you may end up keeping them, despite them delivering sub-standard enjoyment, because you can't justify buying a second pair straight away!
It's a shame you weren't around for the Snowheads OktoberTest which is a great opportunity to get a feel of what kind of thing interests you.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy