Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

avoriaz

Poster: A snowHead
hi guys, first poster Blush

im off to avoriaz in march, going skiing for the first time in 3 years due to a seriuos knee injury so very nervous indeed, ive been told different reports regarding the amount of snow there having there anyone know first hand what its been like?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
leeboy wrote:
hi guys, first poster Blush

im off to avoriaz in march, going skiing for the first time in 3 years due to a seriuos knee injury so very nervous indeed, ive been told different reports regarding the amount of snow there having there anyone know first hand what its been like?

I think there is a good base there for you in March. I wouldn;t worry about it now., What you will see there now is no indication of what it will be like in March.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
leeboy, welcome to snowHeads - hope the knee holds up OK.

My bro-inlaw is out there now and he's been raving about it. According to the last press report I saw (last week) the P d S was rated as one of the best destinations in France currently.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was in Chatel over new year (next door and lower in altitude). Chatel had the best conditions at that time of year that I have ever seen - a really good base and new powder arriving in big quantities. I can only imagine that Avoriaz has excellent conditions at the moment.

March is a long time away in terms of snow conditions but with the good base that exists at the moment, the conditions are as good as they could be at this stage of the season.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi leeboy, welcome to Snowheads. We've been going to Champery for the past 2 seasons and we're off again in a few weeks. The first time was during mid March and I can assure you that there was plenty of good snow on the Avoriaz side. The slopes on the Swiss border are north facing so that helps.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
leeboy, Welcome to sH's snowHead

We have just returned from the PDS, and there was plenty of nice snow in Avoriaz and are returning again end Feb/March. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
leeboy,

Getting to the point you have taken a risk going to Avoriaz in March and the conditions at the moment are not relevant. I don't know when in March you are going but if conditions are poor you will have few options, the snow will also be heavy and not good on the knees. Apologies for being negative but I have been skiing many times in March and having few options over 2000m is in my experience a very risky option. The last time I visited PDS (Morzine & Avoriaz) in early March was 4 years ago and it was Rubbish - I spent 2 out of 4 days driving to the Grand Massif (40mins), it has good options over 2000m, skiing down to 1200m (les carroz) and real alpine conditions in Flaine.

P.S. This was not just a poor weekend for the PDS - all slopes below 1400m were as brown as my baby's son when he needs a new nappy! and a good dump would not have changed this. Don't know why or how but the slopes nearer Mt Blanc are much better in March.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
leeboy, Welcome, and relax.

Contrary to public opinion, height is not necessarily a defining factor, nor should it be the sole factor. I had one of last seasons best days (out of nearly 60 ski days across Europe and even the US) in Avoriaz on April 25th. So there NorthWestFace !! wink One takes weather/snow risk anytime one goes skiing.

Avoriaz is high enough that March ought to be fine. That said, I have seen it rain in January all the way to the top of Mont Blanc. Yes, lower slopes might be bare (might not too) and you might get rain in Morzine village (1,000m), but you are going to Avoriaz. Not a great deal of the Avoriaz-local skiing is below 1,300m.

Plus, a week is a long time in the mountains. I have seen Morzine go from having so much snow that there was 6 feet of snow on the roundabout as you enter the village to having virtually nothing on the lower slopes in the space of a week. A really big dump followed by cold weather could make low piste skiing feasible even if the slopes were bare - as most of the lower slopes are grassy alps rather than rocky scree. (After all, that's what happens in December, isn't it?)

Conditions in Avoriaz right now are, apparently, really rather excellent for this time of year.

So, I'm afraid all that text is rather information-less. Avoriaz and the PDS are having one of the best starts to the season in ages (since 1999? IIRC?) but while that means that if everything stays snowy and cold March will be great, there's no real way to predict what you'll encounter. So don't worry about what you can't forecast or change.

Also, even in the last 3 years ski technology has changed meaning that if the snow is a little soggy, hire skis that will optimise the experience and minimise knee stress.

(P.S., I would be quite delighted if Morzine regained it's damp, warm, wet, low reputation as then property prices might fall and I might be able to afford a chalet!).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
leeboy,

Wouldn't worry about the snow so much as you get what you get when you get it and no one has the rights to that franchise... Laughing

As for the knee, I hope you are taking good advice from a physio about strenghtening exercises and doing them...
Sorry if you have taken care of all that...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
IncogSkiSno, when you heading there?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Due to a change in plans I might be in Champery tomorrow, definately on Sunday - I will go up chavannes and take a pic of what I can see - if like the last time it is a cloud ......well. there ye go - hopefully it will be fine enough for a couple of pics.

snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Champery...8 days to go... snowHead I would be very interested to see some pics of Chavannette...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
wont be there today no 1 son is full of full and wifey is out with her chums today - thought I might be able to bring him with me - my day out is tomorrow - I hope the weather enjoys itself - local forecast says a chance of fresh snow.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hey guys cheers for all the advice and welcoming Little Angel

we booked avoriaz purely because it was the cheapest available, and with the knee we didnt want to waste good hard earned money on a ski trip if i found i couldnt ski.

JT, physio has given me loads of stuff to do its a real killer lol

if i could get down on my knees and pray the snow is good i would.... lol snowHead Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Went up yesterday - it is quite icy and quite a lot of thinning patches

My camera has gone up the swanny - all the pics look like TV interferance.

No snow forecast early this week
snow report
obelix67 wrote:
Went up yesterday - it is quite icy and quite a lot of thinning patches

My camera has gone up the swanny - all the pics look like TV interferance.

No snow forecast early this week

ive been snow dancing for 5 days now, not working but i look good though Laughing
snow report
I went to champery for night skiing last night and crashed at a mates chalet - this morning there was 5 cm of fresh snow and none of the roads clear so getting down to work was interesting.

they went over to avoriaz yesterday and said the snow on the far side of the wall was excellent - this fresh dump will help lots.

Just been on the phone to the guys that stayed up there today - 30cm of fresh snow has fallen today

Spoke to a buddy in Verbier they have had none - booo
ski holidays
obelix67, YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully I'll get a couple of "bonus" hours in on Saturday snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
The guys reckon the snow on the avoriaz side is better - but the visibility was zero this afternoon on the Champery side and clear on the avoriaz side made the ride back for them a bit exciting.

On a different note - Les Mine club is doing free mixers with bottles of spirits - 80chf for a bottle of vodka - free red bull or orange or tonic etc

Only just made it into work on time Wink

If you want a snowhead meeting in Mitchells maybe monday evening let me know

or maybe wednesday evening - during the night skiing session ?
snow report
obelix67, I'll see what we're doing. No doubt we'll find ourselves in Mitchells at least once since we are a group of 11 in 2 flats. We should be skiing on Wednesday evening until about 7pm, if last year's anything to go by Very Happy . Keep an eye out for a mixed group of English in their mid 20's; all skiers and one boarder (Scottish). If you happen to find yourself up on the mountain during the week and spot any of the Freeride instructors, there's a good chance they will be with one of us (in total we have 3 or 4 of them from Sunday to Tuesday)... snowHead
snow conditions
I might be up on Monday - I am unsure if we have a group for Wednesday night but we went up from 6 until 9.30 last wednesday
ski holidays
Party Party Party!!!! Laughing we are off tomorrow to avoriaz 10 mad kiwis!and tooken South african!! So excited thanks for all the pointers on this site. Have definately learnt alot. snowHead
ski holidays
obelix67 wrote:
I went to champery for night skiing last night and crashed at a mates chalet - this morning there was 5 cm of fresh snow and none of the roads clear so getting down to work was interesting.

they went over to avoriaz yesterday and said the snow on the far side of the wall was excellent - this fresh dump will help lots.

Just been on the phone to the guys that stayed up there today - 30cm of fresh snow has fallen today

Spoke to a buddy in Verbier they have had none - booo

my dancing is working then obelix, i will continue to dance till i go !!! Laughing snowHead snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy