Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort with a Carpet Lift/Travelator

Poster: A snowHead
Are there any resorts with a carpet lift that also:

Offer lessons for 2.5 year olds (nothing serious, just a chance for her to have an hour or two on skis)
Has that carpet lift within a very short walk distance of accommodation (ideally an apartment)
Has generally easy slopes (green/blue and maybe some red)
Has some other stuff for little ones

In short, we normally go to a tiny resort in Southern Poland, my wife has had some lessons, but got a bit panicked after falling off a button lift and prefers the travelator type (which also probably works better for a toddler too). As it happens the resort in Bialka we normally go to actually meets these criteria so we will go there again next year, but it would be nice to try somewhere else too for a change.

Not really fussed where, the shorter the journey from the airport the better and we will be flying (from London) then taking public transport (or a taxi) if that makes a difference.

We can avoid the school holidays, so can really go any time, January would be nice, but not really essential, we can go later on in the season.

Is there anywhere suitable?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We have a travellator lift on the nursery slope in Wengen. It's next to the kindergarten where the kids can play and have a bit of a ski if the weather's nice. Lots of accommodation within a few minutes (tiny village).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lots of resorts have them, off the top of my head Tignes, Val D'Isere and Ste Foy have magic carpets - I dont think its that unusual these days.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Le Lac in Tignes has a magic carpet near several hotels, plus the kindergarten area. Although 2.5 years might be a bit young:

https://www.esf-tignes.org/tignes-le-lac/little-children
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Val Thorens have a couple.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Les Gets
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
La Rosiere - Eucherts side has one. Don't think the main town does.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Champoluc
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Belle Plagne
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
re 2.5yr olds - I'm not aware of any ski school that takes these (tho' happy to be proven wrong) which might mean you have to go private.

Not sure how many 2.5yr olds could handle a 2.5hr group lesson.

My son's instructor was very anti-travelator. His view was that a lot of the beginner learning experience comes from controlling your skis on a lift, where you have constant speed and pressure, and without that progression was materially slower.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yep for clarity I was assuming private lessons for the little one, I know not all do, but from what I've seen its not that uncommon anymore (but may of course not be everywhere).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@vjmehra, I can't think of anywhere that doesn't. (Chamonix, Champoluc, Morzine, Avoriaz, Les Gets, Madonna d C, Samoens, Morillon, Flaine...)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ok that's good to know, I haven't been to any alpine resorts for a few years, don't remember seeing any last time, a lot has clearly changed!

So perhaps I should re-word the question slightly...

Where should we stay (i.e. which hotel or apartment complex ideally) to minimise the walk Chamonix for example is quite large!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Avoriaz Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Flaine. Easy access from Geneva. Apartments Le Panoramic are right on the piste, and at a lower price Madame Vacances are within 20 metres of the piste. There are also other options, but these are the closest to the carpet lift. There are carpet lifts for the first beginner slopes and then a friendly modern drag for the slightly higher ones. No problem with private lessons for tinies from either American Lynne Stainbrook or French Catherine, both of whom are good with children.
snow report
Selva Val Gardena has one, I believe along with a fairly extensive nursery ski area
snow report
Garmish partinkerchin, has one, as does kappl in Austria, both fairly good resorts for learning.
snow conditions
You are correct that a moving carpet is ideal for a 2.5 year old to have a first try on ski's. Les Menuires and Oz-en-Oisans are two places with them that we went to when the children are young. In any case a bit of due diligence is required to make sure the accommodation is in the vicinity.

Not sure it helps your wife particularly as slopes with moving carpets tend to be very short and shallow. I would have thought even after a couple of lessons she would find them too limited. Most alpine resorts these days don't have too many button lifts and most are avoidable anyway. So she should be fine. And if avoiding peak times the pistes should be quiet which should help with her confidence.
snow report
+1 Flaine , just over a hour by car from Geneva

Most resorts have them so your going to have lots of different suggestions
snow report
Most reasonable sized resorts and family orientated ones that I have looked at seem to have carpets. Some free

Have a look at this site as I find it good at outlining the lifts in situ at any particular resort so I can try to steer clear of t-bars but will show the lifts and rates the resort for families.

http://www.skiresort.info
snow report
Quote:

Not sure it helps your wife particularly as slopes with moving carpets tend to be very short and shallow. I would have thought even after a couple of lessons she would find them too limited. Most alpine resorts these days don't have too many button lifts and most are avoidable anyway. So she should be fine. And if avoiding peak times the pistes should be quiet which should help with her confidence.

The problem is its the going up she's worried about...not the coming down so much...hence the magic carpet lifts!

I am hoping that after a day (maybe 2) she will give button lifts another go and be fine, then onwards and upwards!
ski holidays
There are 3 in the centre of Val Thorens (all free), visible on this webcam, if you pan round - http://www.valthorens.com/fr/live/livecams--webcams/livecam-station.550.html - with a kids' playground also nearby (not currently set up, but where the tennis courts are)
snow report
Tignes has a magic carpet in each village (except Les Brev).

This is a well regarded kids ski school in Tignes Le Lac who take the little ones from 2 and a half. Its all they do, friends have used them and they are in the bottom of my building:

http://www.lesmarmottons.com/index.php?id_page=92
latest report
@vjmehra, You are right that magic carpets are easier for toddlers to start on than other kinds of lift. Plenty of places have them. But the person supervising still needs confidence and competence on skis. You haven't got a toddler problem. You have got a wife problem. If she plans to regress from a button lift to a magic carpet, she is not going to learn to ski. You need to get her some intensive skiing lessons to build her confidence. Is Polish her first language? If so, probably have the lessons there. If English, then any big resort - as above ^^.
snow conditions
vjmehra wrote:
The problem is its the going up she's worried about...not the coming down so much...hence the magic carpet lifts!

Sure but as I say it won't get her very far Sad

Is she OK on chair lifts and cable cars?

If so, it's a non issue in the most resorts. I certainly rarely use them and even if I do it's out of choice rather than unavoidable.
snow report
Another possibility could be Lofer in Austria's Salzburger Land (reached via Salzburg or Munich). There there is a magic carpet and beginners' area and the main pistes, accessible by three chairlifts, are well suited for less experienced skiers and for progressing to greater things. There are also two T-bars but you can avoid them; they lead to pistes more suited to experienced skiers who should be able to handle the lifts.

One factor which might not appeal so much is that the main skiing is on the Loferer Alm, reached by a two stage gondola from the valley (there is also a very small beginners' area at the bottom of the gondolas, assuming enough snow). If you are staying down there -the village is very attractive- that means travelling up each day, though I suspect it is possible to leave equipment up the top (especially if you are taking lessons with a ski school). However, the trip on the lifts does let you enjoy the mountain scenery.

The only accommodation I know of up on the Loferer Alm is the Haus Gertraud in der Sonne. Staying there you would just fall out of bed onto the slopes. You can see the magic carpet and beginners' area behind my friend, Irene's, head in this photo, taken while we were having lunch on the terrace at Haus Gertraud.

The Haus Gertraud web site is only in German but, if you are interested, I am happy to help with translation, if needed. A number of snowHeads have stayed in Lofer, I think, so if you use the forum's Search facility, you can find more information about the area.
snow report
Val Thorens have a couple they are quite long too so give a decent little run for beginners. Plus they are in a tunnel too.
ski holidays
The button lifts in Les Gets that any beginner is likely to go near are all in the middle or right at the side of lovely green or gentle blue pistes, so if you did happen to fall off it's a doddle to get back down to the bottom and start again. The lift tracks themselves are well pisted (compared to most resorts I have been to) with no nasty surprises, so the chances of falling off are quite low.

It's an hour from Geneva and served by lots of shared transfer companies, so very easy to get to. The ski hire shops are almost all opposite the Front de Neige with all the lifts so walking in ski equipment is completely minimised. You can then stay almost anywhere in town and use the bus to get to the lifts, if it's walking at all that you want to minimise.

It's also got two magic carpets and a whole area of green runs reserved for beginners or non beginners with children, Le Grande Cry, which really build the confidence. You can also stop at the Indian teepee and get your face painted.

The whole area is pasture land in the summer so there are no nasty steep cliffs or drops to the side of the pistes to put off the nervous beginner. I can't imagine anywhere more gentle and forgiving to learn in France, having learned myself in the big resorts in France with none of the above forgiving qualities.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's a travelator between Sestriere & Sauze D'Oulx - but it's not exactly convenient for anywhere.
ski holidays
Oberlech (expensive but awesome) and Kappl (very child friendly area mid mountain - so would need gondola up/down - or ski if you prefer)
snow report
Quote:

Sure but as I say it won't get her very far

Is she OK on chair lifts and cable cars?

If so, it's a non issue in the most resorts. I certainly rarely use them and even if I do it's out of choice rather than unavoidable.

Woooooah...getting way ahead of yourself there!

She's only ever had a few lessons, snow plough turns, so not sure about chair lifts, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it...she's fine in sightseeing cable cars...so with ski's should be okay Happy
snow conditions
Thank you for all the suggestions so far everyone, please keep them coming...I'm googling away but can't keep up Happy
ski holidays
La Rosiere Eucherts side no ski bus required you're pretty much right on the slopes .
ski holidays
Les Carroz has two covered ones in the middle of the village
ski holidays
Just to resurrect this again, we're now thinking of heading to Austria for Easter (doesn't have to be Austria, but my wife has never been and is keen to go, so would prefer that if possible).

So, what are our options with the following criteria:

Easter weekend time (to maximise time off work)
Travelator/Magic Carpet lift close to the accommodation
Accommodation ideally a 2 bed apartment (so the little one can go to bed early in her own room)!!
Instructors that will take a (nearly) 3 year old for a 30 min/1 hour private lesson just so she can get an idea of skiing (I'm assuming longer than an hour would be too much)...we can stand and watch or disappear depending on what the instructor prefers.
Kids stuff (ringo's, sledging etc.)

Nice to have:

Ideally a water-park or basic swimming place (so long as they allow little ones), would be good too.
Oh and circa 90 mins from the airport would be nice, but if that's not possible, as close to as is.

Given the time of year I'm assuming it would have to be somewhere pretty high and/or glacier, either of which is absolutely fine with us, we're not fussed about long challenging runs, in fact short and basic suits us much better as we'll have to take it in turns to go off on our own whilst the other is parenting (and both of us are still beginners(ish) anyway)!

I don't mind a package or DIY in all honesty, if anyone has any suggestions that come close to that list please shout them out Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy