Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Drones

Poster: A snowHead
What are the current laws on drones in European countries. I'm currently at an exhibition Where I can get a drone that will follow me whilst filming. Are these things allowed?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@cameronphillips2000, I've seen various comments ranging from outright bans to restrictions. At least one resort plans to restrict them to one piste.

In the UK at least the following apply. Unless you are alone a piste the second paragraph would be impossible to control. The third paragraph would appear to exclude autonomous following drones.

- At the moment, there is nothing to stop you going and buying a drone and taking it out flying, as long as the drone weighs less than 20kg and you are not using it for commercial reasons.

- However, you must avoid flying it within 150 metres of a congested area and 50 metres of a person, vessel, vehicle or structure not under the control of the pilot.

- You will also need to fly the aircraft "within sight". This means you can’t go above 400 feet in altitude or further than 500 metres horizontally. If you want to exceed that, you need to seek explicit permission from the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@cameronphillips2000, They are banned from flying above all pistes in France. They are also banned from flying in the Vanoise National Park. (Source: a friendly pisteur in Tignes).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@cameronphillips2000, you mean one like this:

http://youtube.com/v/xeviAWB0i4Y

In 30 years of skiing I've been attacked by skiers and boarders from behind, had my head whacked by skis in queues and now we have to worry about attack from the sky.....geeeesh

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 11-12-16 11:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They should be bannned from all public spaces.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Marcel Hircher could have been seriously injured or worse there, remember seeing that last season.!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You need to check each countries laws as they are quite varied across Europe. France being one of the most restrictive
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I will wack them with my poles if the approach to that kind of distance
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Drones with cameras were recently banned in Sweden http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37761872
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Only swedes are banned from using them in Sweden which is a bit mental.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@cameronphillips2000, just don't do it, please, no, never.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
What are the current laws on drones in European countries. I'm currently at an exhibition Where I can get a drone that will follow me whilst filming. Are these things allowed?

Yeah those "follow me" drones are amazing, and they let you play a cool game called "taking out other punters on the slopes" Toofy Grin . Not only can they drop out the sky and take out people on the ground you can even take out people on chairlifts Shocked (although in this example the chairlift was sadly empty, so no points scored this time) wink

https://www.facebook.com/DronesCrashing/videos/1570423366614131/
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Non-commercial drones also have a practical problem of very short battery life in the cold plus thin air at altitude. Verbier ran a successful trial of a resort-sponsored hexacopter at one of its ski parks last year. They had a pro operator and an industrial-grade 8-rotor drone that hung around the Park and would film you for a short period for free, but if yo u wanted a proper film, you would hire for half an hour. He also carried a ton of extra batteries etc. I think this is a good approach to deter them becoming a problem. I have a drone but I really couldn't be bothered to cart the thing up the mountain for what would probably be about 5 mins max of flying time, and then have to carry it 'round for the rest of the day. And it would probably be tough to fly as it's only a 4-rotor machine.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd agree with msej and also as a drone owner, would be very sceptical of their maneuverability and flight time up a mountain, in winter. People have been trying to build and program 'follow me' drones for a while now - initially people kept announcing them and then nothing. GoPro have had problems with their drone, which I understand had been withdrawn. I'm sure that the software and battery technology will evolve but I'd be surprised if you could get the sort of thing you are thinking of at the moment. If you're offered it for mountain use, be very sure that it's really been tested in this context, as opposed to following a cyclist on a still summer day somewhere near to sea level.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Drone laws for all major countries, such as France, are listed here:

http://thedroneinfo.com/the-current-state-of-global-drone-regulations/

Drones laws worldwide right now are a mess. Governments and local authorities are struggling to keep up.

Just use a drone, and smile and say you "didn't know" if you get caught wink
snow conditions
@Alastair Pink, have to say that made me smile as it completely shows the idiocy of using these things on the slopes / real world given the current level of technology. Hope the drone was written off Very Happy
snow conditions

What one can legally do and what one should do are 2 different things to me.

If anyone was flying a drone over my head while out on a mountain I would have to find them and tear them apart with a large twig.

I go on the mountain to ski, not to be followed by some annoying Buzzing object that will fall out of the sky due to low batteries, wind, incompetence or clash with other sodding drones.

I can see that they make cool videos, but no thanks.
snow conditions
@msej449, yes and yes

Jordon Manley's use of drones is excellent in this:

http://www.askiersjourney.com/british-columbia/

But they are in the wilderness - not with chairs overhead and children underneath - filmmakers' drone courses are excellent, and their professional reputations and income depend on responsible, skilled use.

Most amateur drone footage is tedious in the extreme, has no production values, and puts other people at risk. Just ski for goodness' sake. Save the memories in that huge data store called 'human memory'.
ski holidays
I couldn't agree more. I own a drone which I use very occasionally to take property photos for my clients. I considered taking it into the mountains with me but then all of the points above occurred to me when considering pros and cons. I could not live with myself if somebody else got injured for the sake of capturing some pretty low quality video of me and my pals skiing. Leave it at home and concentrate on enjoying the skiing.
snow conditions
@KennyEverett, ....but surely they are infallible in the cold, harsh high mountains?....

http://youtube.com/v/P9rnTk6FBzs

and

http://youtube.com/v/_FFOJZogwPA
ski holidays
@valais2, ....and rather like the law that washing up always has to end with an unexpected teaspoon falling out from the bowl when you pour away the water, these drone disasters always end with a close up of a seemingly identical clump of grass...
snow report
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Totally. Some of these guys need to watch FROZEN.

Let it go! Let it go!
snow conditions
@valais2, ...i can't stop now...very humorous sound effects...although note that the aircraft strike viral video is widely declared to be fake

http://youtube.com/v/teWiS-QfOco

and drones can ... and do ... hurt people:

http://youtube.com/v/aHUP8UR1_Xw

the angry ram seems to have the right attitude....

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 11-12-16 23:06; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
KennyEverett wrote:
I couldn't agree more. I own a drone which I use very occasionally to take property photos for my clients. I considered taking it into the mountains with me but then all of the points above occurred to me when considering pros and cons. I could not live with myself if somebody else got injured for the sake of capturing some pretty low quality video of me and my pals skiing. Leave it at home and concentrate on enjoying the skiing.

I'm sure if you were filming it would be in the best possible taste and done with Brother-Lee-Love
latest report
valais2 wrote:
... Jordon Manley's use of drones is excellent in this: http://www.askiersjourney.com/british-columbia/ But they are in the wilderness....

That is rather good. Most people with drones seem to shoot in a way which screams "drone", where as the style they're using there is much more subtle.
--
If anyone was flying a drone over my head while out on a mountain I would have to find them and tear them apart with a large twig.
I think a polite request that they stop may be more effective and safer for you.
latest report
KennyEverett wrote:

So as you are using it commercially you will have your Pwaf or Pfco? Smile
snow report
valais2 wrote:
@valais2, ...i can't stop now...very humorous sound effects...although note that the aircraft strike viral video is widely declared to be fake

http://youtube.com/v/teWiS-QfOco

They do seem to have a bit of a homing instinct for any nearby humans (and I speak from experience not just the videos).
latest report
philwig wrote:
valais2 wrote:
... Jordon Manley's use of drones is excellent in this: http://www.askiersjourney.com/british-columbia/ But they are in the wilderness....

That is rather good. Most people with drones seem to shoot in a way which screams "drone", where as the style they're using there is much more subtle.
--
I think a polite request that they stop may be more effective and safer for you.

I Jest obvously (id use a large twig)

I just find it frustrating others use things on the mountain that impact others without a thought. We are there to ski and have a giggle. Selfie sticks can be bad enough, with some concentrating more on how pouty their lips look than where they are going ;-p
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

with some concentrating more on how pouty their lips look than where they are going ;-p

I spent much of my summer holiday running around the south of France. the number of people who thought, erroneously, that they could walk while talking into their devices was incredible.

Next year I may adopt an attitude of running in to them, pour encourager les autres.
latest report
Sounds like folk aren't too keen on drones then...
latest report
snow report

Whatever gave you that idea? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@cameronphillips2000, No need to drone on about it. Toofy Grin
snow report
@cameronphillips2000, .er...nope....not keen at all

And I wouldn't want to be the owner of the drone which hits some people on a chairlift or when the battery dies at minus 10 after 1min and falls on a small child....
snow report

For ski movies, inspection work etc they are a big improvement compared to helicopters but need to be flown in the right hands.
snow report
My in-law's place is on a riverbank just upstream from a hotel. One day a drone flew up the river from the hotel and then into their garden. FiL get out a catapult, steps on to the lawn and starts pinging a few lead shot at it (missing natch) but the drone shoots back down the river pretty sharpish. He then phones the hotel and tells them if it happens again he is calling the police. The manager phones back very apologetically and says that his guest has been informed that it is totally unacceptable and the staff now are briefed to prevent a repeat.
If he has any further problems an air rifle with a telescopic site should do the trick I'd have thought.
snow conditions
I love drones, I think they provide great footage we'd never have had before and have produced some spectacular videos. Also first person racing stuff looks pretty good fun.
Some random guy was flying a Phantom over Les Deux Tetes in Arc 1600 last year, he followed me and I'd love to see the footage from it.

I also hate drones - they invade public space and provide a safety hazard particularly near crowds of even airports. Flying in a public park with 4 sharp rotors buzzing around near kids is not on. I've seen them at bike races and it wouldn't take much to hurt someone badly. Noisy bugs too.

Responsible use is the key. Right place, right time and all that. Sadly, this means they are going to become an increasing nuisance in the future.
snow report
jedster wrote:
If he has any further problems an air rifle with a telescopic site should do the trick I'd have thought.

Failing that, this little beauty should do the trick.... wink
snow report
There are also drones designed to catch drones, and eagles trained to bring them down as well.
ski holidays
@PowderAdict, the underlying legal and safety issues of this thread I take very seriously.

However, I can never resist. The EMP from this should take down all drones on or above any nearby piste, albeit with some damage to the snow surface:

http://youtube.com/v/11e8XyUBqRQ

Just watch those little buzzing insects fall ....

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 12-12-16 16:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy