Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best optician for prescription sunglasses?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I use vari-focal glasses which are great for day to day use, driving, rock climbing etc. For road cycling I use cycling glasses with a small prescription panel in the bottom of the lens so I can read my computer.

I would really like some good quality sun glasses suitable for skiing and climbing etc. (ie good at blocking out the sun and wind) with my custom vari-focal prescription. Unfortunately Specsavers usual range of frames seem pretty poor for this even if I paid for tinted coating. I appreciate that having prescription lenses restricts some wrap around styles that use as sun glasses for skiing but there must be opticians who can come up with something better than Specsavers? Any recommendation for national chains or Sheffield opticians?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a pair of Oakleys. Oakley do do prescription lenses but not strong enough for what I need so I get custom lenses made up at Leightons opticians.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've a pair of Oakley Valves with varifocal lenses by Oakley. I got them from Vision Express. Not cheap but I love them Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have Oakley rimless glasses (31 Thirteen) but use contact lenses for daily wear, so that doesn't help you directly.

However, I have bought Oakley goggles and goggle lenses from RX Sport, and they do a range of prescription lenses for sporting sunglasses (Adidas, Bolle, Oakley etc).

http://www.rxsport.co.uk/categories/Lenses/Prescription-Lenses/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My local optometrist does Bollé prescription sunglasses and goggles.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bolle for high index prescriptions or for astigmatism. I got mine through Extreme Eyewear but I think the Bolle lab fills the prescription and the optician is effectively just a front end for the process.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everybody, the encouraging message seems to be "should have gone to anybody but specsavers"
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Actually, for up a mountain, I prefer to use an OTG goggle (Oakley Canopy) and a pair of cheap Specsavers glasses underneath, with small a profile as possible.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi look at smartbuyglasses and also speckyfoureyes. Got some raybans from there also some superdrys i wear for skiing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
An update, from @PowderAdict,'s advice I got in touch with RX Sport. I resurrected my standard Oakley Half Jackets, got new nose and earsock rubbers from Chain Reaction Cycles (cheapest) then ordered prescription lenses from RX Sport. This was the cheapest (still a big cost) and best way to get prescription varifocal sunglasses that are ideal for skiing, cycling, climbing and general use.

I entered al the details from my optician's prescription, next step was to send in a photo with measuring scale for them to measure distance between pupils, finally they posted me a pair of dummy glasses for another face phot email so they could accurately locate the various focal length zones in front of my eyes. The lenses were made in Oakley's US plant and I received them a week later and slotted them into my existing frame. So far I've only used them for driving but I'm blown away by the quality.

Highly recommended
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
High street shops like Specsavers are a ripoff - I've been getting my glasses online from Spex4Less who are excellent and about 1/4 the price.

Looks like they do prescription sunglasses - either standard glasses with sunnie lenses, or a range of sunglasses (including Bolle & Oakley) with prescription lenses - not tried their sunnies myself,but might be worth a look https://www.spex4less.com/sunglasses
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another cheaper option for prescription sunglasses, some in wrap around style, is Optilabs. I had a pair from them last year which I've been happy with, and have used for skiing on bright spring days.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You can get prescription wraparound (i.e. curved) lenses. I had a pair of Animal frames fitted with them around 10 years ago. The optician told me they could do curved lenses, then put flat ones in, which were worse than bad, but once he put curved ones in they were brilliant. (Unfortunately then fell out of the door pocket of my car outside my house and got run over. Several times. Sad )

Not sure about varifocals, though
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Optilabs do full wraparound varifocals, with various tints - I have photocromic transitions lenses for road cycling, and some skiing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy