Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

These resorts are generally considered to be the best in the world...

Poster: A snowHead
Zermatt
Verbier
St Anton (Arlberg)
Courchevel (3Vs)
Chamonix
Val d'Isere (Espace Killy)
Whistler
Aspen
Jackson Hole
edited to add my own ommission as it was late last night

As mentioned in a ski guide that I was perusing last night.

True, scandalous, obvious? I personally think that in terms of pleasing most of the people most of the time in terms of overall appeal then the authors have pretty much hit the nail on the head. Your opinions please.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 25-01-06 15:57; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd agree with you
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kramer, I doubt if the source you've referenced would hate publicity.

Which illustrious tome are we debating as 'gospel' here?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's off the Ski Club website. I'm not criticising the authors, it just got me thinking, that's all, wondering whether there were any more resorts that could honestly justify inclusion in that group. It would seem a pretty succinct 'must do' list for an enthusiastic skier. I've done five out of the eight so far. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shurely "popularity" is reflected directly by the number of bums on seats (as it were)? So where, exactly, are the resort figures re: punter attendance on that resort's slopes?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kramer, IMO missing the obvious - Chamonix.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Where's La Roisere and Wengen? wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB, La Rosiere is in the Haute Tarentaise, opposite Les Arcs, Wengen is in the Home Counties, sorry switzerland.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Comparing the European resorts (each of which I've skied a few times), Chamonix should be there, and Les Arcs, but I've managed to ski in the States five times without touching Aspen, Whistler and Jackson Hole (have done Vail, Snowbird+Alta, and other resorts in Colorado, Vermont and Washington State) - so I can't comment on those three US choices and how highly they rate against the European choices.

No US resort I've skied rates quite highly enough, in terms of length of runs and panoramic drama, compared to the European classics, but they have great appeal for other reasons - especially if a US ski trip is combined with some city or coastal fun.

I also rate Flims-Laax (Switzerland) very highly for lots of vertical and drama, BTW. Don't think I've done justice to Davos or St Moritz, which are great places with stirring ski histories - simply haven't spent enough time in those two places. Wengen-Murren-Grindelwald is a must, for all sorts of reasons.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 25-01-06 15:57; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David@traxvax, actually that maybe my error. Embarassed
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
"Theese resorts are generally considered to be the best in the world!" Puzzled

For?

High priced beer?
High priced accommodation?
Lift connections?
Visitor facilities?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would say, personally, that none of those criteria apply.
If it's length, breadth and variety of ski terrain, then the list Kramer has sourced is pretty good, in my view.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think that in anyone area they may be beated by a few other resorts (other than price of beers!), but overall there would be few that could beat them all round.

Just a bit of contention to liven up a Wednesday afternoon. wink Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer, What's the criteria? I'm with David@traxvax, on this. The best resort is the one that makes you feel the best. OK David's got a vested interest but that doesn't invalidate his thought.
I reckon that a 'best' resort has too many variable and the Ski Club is looking for revenue generation from the major ski resort players.

Call me cynical?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've always found that peoples view on a resort are tainted by the quality of snow had at the time... good snow, great resort. Poor snow, bad resort... and many punters can't see through this !
snow report
Thes best resort in the world's the one you're in or about to go to Very Happy
ski holidays
ise wrote:

Correct! I don't think anyone could dispute that!
snow conditions
Masque, the flaw in your theory is the ski club has decidedly frosty relations with St Anton.

I'm not sure that it's relevant that this list came from the Ski Club, more what do people think of it. I think that if you were suggesting resorts to one of our new martian skiers (who surely must follow from there having been snow on the mountains of mars in the past), then these ones would have to be mentioned somewhere in any list of the best.

ise, in that case, for me, it's St Anton. Very Happy
ski holidays
I agree the Wengen/Murren/Grindelwald are very special. They have the scenery, the ambience, the charm and the history, even if not competing with the others for the scale and variety of the skiing. Davos/Klosters perhaps should be there too. I am glad to have skied all 6 European mentions and would never regret going back to any. Time for me to research the Americans!
snow conditions
Kramer wrote:
Masque, the flaw in your theory is the ski club has decidedly frosty relations with St Anton.

Doesn't mean they don't want its money Cool business is business and that's boogerall to do with a social club.
snow report
If you rate it on the skiing alone, that list is right. If you try to rate them on other things, it becomes far more subjective. For instance, one person's value for money is another person's expensive. A given size of lft queue might be acceptable to somebody but not another.

However, these are also the "safe" options that its hard to critisise. Where are the daring recommendations that add spice to such a list. For instance, I would add Crested Bute in the uS. Great beginners stuff, just enough intermediate and the best couloir skiing in the US. The main town also has some real character.

In Europe, I cannot think of the controversial choice because everywhere not on that list (that I know) has limitations. For me, I think La Grave is as good as it gets but am happy to accept that is isn't exactly and all round resort.
ski holidays
As it appears to have been produced by the Ski Club of GB. It is possibly a list of the best Gross Profit achieving holidays they offer. wink
ski holidays
Verbier is great.....pitty they forgot that getting to the top of the slope is also quite important.
snow conditions
I've only skied one of those (Chamonix) and that was last week. Whilst Chamonix is awesome for off-piste junkies it has some major drawbacks that would spoil it for some people.

I really enjoyed the place but frankly I think I had better skiing (for my level) elsewhere. Bottom line- it's all subjective. I'm going to Soll next week and I'll probably get more out of that than Chamonix. Is Soll better? Nope. It's just better for me...

These lists are stupid. It all depends what you want and need. I love Breckenridge and dislike Les Deux Alpes and that's just a personal choice. Put it like this- which is better Schindler's List or Shrek? The Exorcist or Some Like it Hot? The Terminator or It's a Wonderful Life? You can't answer from those comparisons because any choice would be arbitary and not comparative.

That's what this list is like; all the resorts listed are no doubt great, but taking a beginner to Val d'Isere or Chamonix isn't the best start. There is no perfect resort and until someone creates one no-one can say that this or that resort is the best.

Do your research, find out what you need from a resort, choose the one that is best for you and don't listen to lists like this.

Simple Very Happy
snow report
Glenshee is missing from the list.
ski holidays
Tim Brown, So is Milton Keynes rolling eyes
latest report
It's also difficult to compare resorts, if you haven't been to many. I can't comment on Queenstown, cause I've never been there. I won't say whether it is good or bad, but I hope to go there, and then I can compare it to other resorts and base my opinion on that. The same with Italy, I haven't skiied there either. I won't rule these places out because I haven't been, it challenges me to try them, and maybe try others.
That's where these lists can add some value, because they suggest countries and continents, that you might not have been to, as possibilities.

I have skiied 4 of the resorts on the list, and would say that they do have plus points to them, and three of the four would make it into my top ten resorts I've been to so far, maybe when I've been to 50+ resorts world wide, then I'll feel better placed to give ratings.
latest report
Civilserpent wrote:
I've only skied one of those (Chamonix) and that was last week. Whilst Chamonix is awesome for off-piste junkies it has some major drawbacks that would spoil it for some people.

taking a beginner to Val d'Isere or Chamonix isn't the best start. There is no perfect resort and until someone creates one no-one can say that this or that resort is the best.

Very Happy

You are right, of course - different skiers want different things and find them in different resorts. But these are a list of the places that most experienced skiers would choose to return to again and again, if that were possible. Also, while I agree that Chamonix (or Zermatt) might not be great places for beginners, I would think (having first been there as little more than a beginner) that Val d'Isere is ideal for beginners: good nursery slope, plenty of easy slopes at altitude (even if not for getting back into the valley) and superb ski schools.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ise wrote:

Except when you're in Tamworth.
snow conditions
DB wrote:
ise wrote:

Except when you're in Tamworth.

indoor skiing's a phenomenon that looks likely to pass me by I'm afraid Very Happy
snow conditions
There are a fair number of wide, flat motorways in Zermatt. But Chamonix, I agree, isn't much good for beginners, (though there is easy skiing at each end of the valley). Even for good skiers when the snow isn't good it isn't much cop (and the powder gets skied out extaordinarily quickly). But for good skiers when there is good snow the off-piste is about the best in the world.
I think that they have left off Wengen because there is not enough challenge for good skiers though the charm and beauty is undeniable (the same would go for Kitzbuhel's skiing, but though the town has more crowds it has class and a delightful mediaeval heart).
I like Les Arcs, it has skiing for every standard (but perhaps they think it too small, and the buildings are big modern blocks without much Alpine charm).
So, though I have other favourites which happen to suit me (eg La Grave), I reckon the list is quite good, with that caveat about Chamonix. Or at least, I agree about the European resorts. I am about to try North America (Whistler) for the first time in 9 days!!!
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

Verbier is great.....pitty they forgot that getting to the top of the slope is also quite important.

you need to justify that comment, and are you saying that you're not prepared to earn the ocassional turn?
latest report
I think he means the top lifts are often closed, which limits things a bit, and there used to be bad lift queues (but they are much improved as far as I know).
snow conditions
Steve Sparks, Am saying that T bars, and an antiquated (comparativley) lift sytem let down the great skiing.

I have just skied in the 3v for a week without using a surface lift (except the short one outside the door)
snow conditions
I skied all those European resorts and they are great but they all have far too many people.
In terms of skiing I can think of one or two others but who says popularity defines a great resort.
snow report
Can't say I mind a few drag lifts (they often stay open when wind closes the others), but then, I'm not a boarder.
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
Can't say I mind a few drag lifts (they often stay open when wind closes the others), but then, I'm not a boarder.

I do board sometimes and I don't mind surface lifts either. I really don't understand what the problem's supposed to be, either you can balance and be comfortable on your skis/board or you can't, if you can't you should stay at home/stay on the nursery slopes/buy blades (select cop-out as appropriate) Very Happy
ski holidays
I know some folks cant get away with T Bars and some with button lifts. My issue is solely with the rest factor. Sadly (as you will all know by now rolling eyes ) my knees are goosed and this type of lift gives no opportunity for rest, in fact the leg is constantly stressed throughout. Those other arthritis sufferers will know what I mean.

e.g One of my kids took poorly while out skiing in 3v. To get home wee took the Plattiers bubble from Motteret to above Les Menuires. It is a back to back Gondola and to fit in I have to tuck my legs right in. Son then lay sideways on top of my legs rendering them imobile for the ride (about 20 mins?). Got to the top and had to jump out, get son out, get poles out, get skis out of slots. Jumped out of gondola and fell against the wall as the leg wouldn't straighten.

I often ski with another similarly afflicted skier. I have seen us both get off a long drag, mid afternoon and both jump out of our skis and lie down for 5 minutes until the pain subsides. We both stop regularly at the piste side, not to let the thighs rest but to straighten our legs and rest the knees. Prescription Anti inflamatories morning and night, ice packs when we get back on the afternoon, and again later in the evening, soothing gels, glucosamine sulphate daily etc etc.

Quote:

(select cop-out as appropriate)
Absolutley right. My view on surface lifts is very personal and therefore will not apply to most snowheads out there. Here endeth the lesson of the arthritic skier Very Happy
latest report
Kramer, I agree that 'best' is very subjective. I've skiied Zermatt twice (once as an absolute first-time skiier and I would dispute there are any flat wide motorway pistes there, Snowball!)

For me, although the village is very pretty, skiing & scenery is nice and there are some great mountain restaurants, there is too much walking to get to a lift in the morning, and the Klein Matterhorn area has been closed both times I've been there which greatly limits the ski area and the opportunity to ski over the top to Cervinia. I think the Swiss still rest too much on their laurels and don't maintain the pistes properly, and there are still too many slow lifts including T-bars. That does not make a great resort to me.

Better the 3Vs although I hate being ripped off and 1850 is the world's best at that.

The best piste groomers for me are the Italians. Regardless of snow conditions the pistes everytime I've been have been great, even with artificial help. My overall 'best' choice of resort (for skiing, eating, scenery and convenience) would be Selva or Corvara on the Sella Ronda (although I acknowledge that for off-pisters it's probably a bit tame).
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I know some folks cant get away with T Bars and some with button lifts. My issue is solely with the rest factor. Sadly (as you will all know by now rolling eyes ) my knees are goosed and this type of lift gives no opportunity for rest, in fact the leg is constantly stressed throughout. Those other arthritis sufferers will know what I mean.

My knees are more knackered than your's Very Happy Only skiers could compete for who has the worse knee problems Very Happy

You just need to be fitter,get on that bike Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy