Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which ski resort did you spend Xmas / New year in this year?

Poster: A snowHead
Wanting to pick a few brains about possibly going en massive famille either at Xmas or New Year. The party will comprise elderly non skiers, down to 8 year old not needing ski school now. Adult cruisers are the main components to keep happy. Any thoughts or reflections on your trips?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Courchevel, for Xmas, in a very comfortable chalet with friends (4 adults, 4 kids altogether). Not enough snow, but a good time had by all. Courchevel has a reputation as being good for cruisers, I believe, although there's plenty of tricky stuff, especially if the snow's a bit better.

We stayed at 1650, which is quiet but OK, a couple (at least) of decent bars and restaurants. 1850 didn't look very exciting, although the ice rink is good and the kids enjoyed climbing up things and swinging on a long rope in the unlikely surroundings of a shopping mall. No public pool, although there are hotel pools open to the public, I think. Nothing much especially Xmassy going on, which suited us.

May not be enough for your non skiers to do unless they are content to sit about taking in the view or watching cable TV. I believe that 1850 is supposed to have good shops, but a) so what? and b) I didn't notice any (but I wasn't looking).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chamonix over xmas, 8 of us went, 5 skiers 3 non skiers. A fantastic time was had by all, couldn't think of a better place to spend xmas tbh. Although not exactly reknowned for easy skiing, there was some nice Cruisey runs on Brevent/Flegere and Le Tour. Only thing is, we were probably lucky with the snow, being such a low resort so early in the season.

As you are probably aware, Chamonix is a town as well, so everything you could possibly want is here, especially for the non-skiers.

Have fun Wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Les Arcs for the past couple of years, and Courchevel for the previous five or six years. Always a nice atmosphere in resort at that time of year (especially Christmas which is a bit quieter than New Year). Snow has always been at least OK, often better than that. A party of adult cruisers would be equally happy in either of those resorts, with loads and loads of blues and reds to choose from. Both resorts offer great ski convenience if your choose your accommodation carefully, with the only drawback being the lack of Alpine charm in the villages if that's your thing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

As you are probably aware, Chamonix is a town as well, so everything you could possibly want is here, especially for the non-skiers.

I understand that there is a small Zoo as well. wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Vallandry for Xmas just gone and was there last March as well - party ranged from our 3 year old daughter to my 70 year old dad, both of which were skiing!

Some great catered and self-catered chalets around, try Grandes Alpes Chalets a dutch company, majority are ski in/out. Have access to the entire Les Arcs and La Plange areas and there are lots of easy cruising runs around Vallandry, tree lined which is a change for France!

Not as lively as Arcs proper but again that is part of the attraction for us!

Oh and for the 8yr old, or any one, really recommend New Generation ski school
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chamonix................ Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Charlatanefc, I am not entirely sure how you can describe Chamonix as "low"! Yes, the village isn't terribly high up, but the skiing is at a reasonable elevation... wink

We were in Champoluc. Snow wasn't great but better half's father was from there and hence traditional to xmas there.

As usual I would suggest Morzine/PDS but there is some risk regarding early snow. Meets all other criteria.

Chamonix probably a good idea.

Never been but Megeve? Flaine?? Samoens??
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Martin Nicholas, We need to talk!

I was in Crans Montana for Christmas which I know very well. Chose there for this trip particulalrly as I had a 64 year old and 59 year old non skiers (both former teachers of mine- it's a long story) one 47 year old week one skier, a 34 year old week 2 skier, us two both all mountain freaks, two 20 something go for it types and their mother, who skis well, but doesn't believe it! Everyone tells me they had a marvellous time. I think I trust them enough to know that they're telling the truth.

Montana works superbly for a group like this. Great access to the mountain for non skiers, easily accessible mountain restaurants, stunning views and village on a walking distance scale. Also great access from GVA by train.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Meribel for new years day and the 2nd,stayed in Moutiers so your sleeping at a much lower altitude (if thats an issue) and in cheapish hotels.

And then off to tignes for a week Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Was in Chamonix xmas before last and will add my recomendation to the previous ones, great skiing,Le Tour best for easy cruising,imho,
and the town itself is great for the non-skiers very festive etc.

Loved the relaxed attitude of the locals on xmas eve,buying small pressies for the next day,stopping in the main square for chats and a glass of van chaud with friends and neighbours,none of the mad rush to buy up the contents on the local shopping centre you tend to get in Britain!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Steve Sparks, Charlatanefc,
Thanks for these tips, I hadn't thought of Crans, never been there but its one I keep looking at. Chamonix has obvious attractions, Megeve might be good with the caveat about snow. I'm suprised no-one has suggested Wengen or Zermatt. Or indeed anywhere in Austria. Anyone else with experiences to share from these?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spent X-mas in Alpe D'Huez with Mark Warner. Was really impressed with them + skiing AD was excellent. One of those resorts with plenty for everyone.

Rgds

Rich
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Christmas for the second year running in Hinterglemm, Austria. Lovely snow, gorgeous cruisy skiing and beautiful village. And very friendly natives Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Was in St. Anton - great place but prob. not best for cruisers - however Lech nearby ticks all the boxes - good cruises, plenty of kiddies classes, spa town for the non-skiers and within easy reach of trains to Innsbruch for a non-ski day out - atmosphere also brill - you will pay for it though.....
latest report
boredsurfin, Wink

David Murdoch, aye, I know, but I'm used to staying at 2000m+ in La Plagne. It's amazing how much worse the hangovers were 1000m lower Wink

Martin Nicholas, no problemo senor Very Happy
snow conditions
Les Arcs last couple of years, les deux ALpes (venosc village - down the gondola) this year. Both good for skiers, but too quiet for non skiers. Les Deux alpes proper might be a decent choice? Or how about somewhere austrian, even though low they don't tend to need as much snow as the rocky french resorts and as long as it stays cold (which it usually is that time of year) the snow making should be on anyway?

aj xx
ski holidays
RachelQ wrote:
Christmas for the second year running in Hinterglemm, Austria. Lovely snow, gorgeous cruisy skiing and beautiful village. And very friendly natives Very Happy

I was there (well Saalbach anyway) for New Year ... I'd highly recommend the place as well .. pretty cruisy pistes with some nice off piste when the snow came. Very pretty village and the area is fairly flat for the elderly non skiers to walk around.
snow report
Neilsens do Saalbach at Christmas and they offer excursions to the usual places (Salzburg, Innsbruck) as well as Venice and Munich. For skiing, Saalbach is great. As a town to visit, I'd prefer Kitzbuhel. Austria at Christmas is pure magic.

snowHead
snow report
Martin Nicholas,

La Clusaz is an excellent resort for xmas and New Year - there is soooooooo much going on for all members of the family - including the milka cow on skis fr the younger members. Guided snowshoe walks, downhill torchlit processions and full moon skiing were some of the highlights. We were also amazed by the outdoor theatre performances, circus acts, firework displays, outdoor games for the kids to play - free vin chaud, hot choc for the kids and brioche. It was truly magical and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else next year!

www.gravite.co.uk
snow conditions
Suaze no snow D oulx last year.

great time but made mincemeat out of my ski bases.

This year should have been Tenerife but cancelled at last minute.

Next year Tenerife followed by Val Thorens
ski holidays
Alpe d'Huez - plenty of good intermediate skiing, lots to do for non-skiers, easy mountain meeting points for lunch so the whole group can get together.
ski holidays
Serre Chevalier this year, our first Christmas away skiing. Lots of sun, and loads of new snow on New Years eve. Friends joined us for the New year weekend. A busy holiday(!) as we moved into our new apartment but still very enjoyable. Torchlit processions, Santa handing out sweets around the village, and live music in the bars (the blues band Bulldog Gravy were excellent). I guess we'll be there next Christmas too, if not certainly for New Year.
ski holidays
Christmas Portes du soleil
New Year Verbier
snow conditions
Henley on Thames Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad First year in many not been in mountains. That will change from now on though... Laughing
ski holidays
Mouth, That dripping noise is my heart bleeding wink Very Happy
snow report
David Murdoch wrote:
Charlatanefc, I am not entirely sure how you can describe Chamonix as "low"! Yes, the village isn't terribly high up, but the skiing is at a reasonable elevation... wink

Never been but Megeve? Flaine?? Samoens??

Megeve is very pretty, and the complete antithesis of most of the French purpose-built resorts, with some nice treeline skiing and a lovely village centre. I was only a few days into my skiing when we were there, and I think I can say it's the only resort I didn't take a spill in. Eating out was superb.

It would seem a good choice given 1) the varied amount of skiing available 2) apres-ski and 3) stuff for non-skiers. I guess the only drawback is the altitude.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy