Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland snow reports 2016/2017

Poster: A snowHead
Dusting on the Glencoe webcams today Happy

Webcam links for the ski lifts in order of importance wink -

http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/lowtherhill/
http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/
http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/nevisrange/
http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/cairngorm-mountain/
http://www.trinum.com/ibox/ski-scotland/images/the-lecht/the-lecht1.jpg
http://www.ski-glenshee.co.uk/Webcam
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@moffatross, Just wondering, why is Glenshee last in order of importance?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd go Glencoe, Nevis Range, Glenshee, Cairngorm, Lecht, then the other 2.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry, I didn't really mean anything much by it Embarassed other than that the webcam efforts made by Lecht & Glenshee are pretty rubbish relative to their footfalls, and Lowther Hill goes to the top of my list for rather unobjective and personal reasons.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fair enough, it's all subjective after all. Quite miffed by the way Cairngorm as been ruined for most skiiers.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cairngorm is great if you like high prices and long queue times!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
it's mostly for the tea and scones brigade now, although they still have to put up with long queues
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Couldn't agree with scotspikey more.

That would be my order of selection of a Scottish resort.

Was not happy at all last time I visited Cairngorm.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@moffatross, and just as I'm hovering over buying Glencoe season passes for myself and the lads Very Happy £100 each for them at early bird rates looks great value.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@balernoStu, do it, it's excellent value ! And with the money you'll save, for just £66, you can buy a family season pass at Lowther Hill (half the travel distance/time to Glencoe from Balerno too) and bring them down to the villages for some after school floodlit skiing on real snow, not Hillend thumb dendex Madeye-Smiley

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great shots
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Got a soft spot for sliding in Scotland.

For cult riding in Western Europe, it is up there with Spain, Sicily and Iceland.

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
balernoStu wrote:
@moffatross, and just as I'm hovering over buying Glencoe season passes for myself and the lads Very Happy £100 each for them at early bird rates looks great value.

Oh blimey, how much is a day ticket going to be?? Not sure I'll get to Europe much/at all this year so a few trips to the 'Coe could be in order!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kitenski, at £20/day for the kids ( £32 adult ) at weekend or holiday I'm thinking if we do a couple of days Feb half term and Easter and the odd Saturday in between it may be worth it. Would take a few more days to break even on the adult pass though at £280.

@moffatross, looking good there, ta for the info.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mike Pow, ta Happy
@Whitegold, I know you have Happy
@balernoStu, every membership we get pays for more snow fencing, towards lighting, fuel, repairs etc and helps to ensure we keep running, offering access to snowsports throughout one of the most deprived areas of Scotland. We've totted up several year equivalents of voluntary labour so far and everything we've bought has been through donations (not 'public' money), or we've just repurposed stuff. The south west of Scotland doesn't have an HIE to look out for it, the incumbent MP hasn't looked in on us once, and it doesn't have the wealth of Central Belt towns behind it so raising awareness from people in your neck of the woods helps to get more sign-ups wink
ski holidays
I know that it's highly variable of course moffatross - but how many days would you expect Lowther Hill to run in a typical winter?
ski holidays
Oops...post above was duplicated... rolling eyes

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 24-10-16 19:44; edited 2 times in total
latest report
@mountainaddict,
Good question.

@mountainaddict,
Good question. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, it's an unknown. Last season we managed to offer portable tow skiing on about 20 days but could have done more if we'd had enough people available to manage things. On Lowther Hill we're hoping to get open most weekends once we've got the fencing built and eventually our own snow groomer. If we can run the rope tow on ungroomed snow a few weekends this coming winter, we'll be delighted.

Some photos of our activities to date here ...

http://www.rossofmoffat.com/albums/lowther-hills-ski-club/
snow conditions
@moffatross, good luck with Lowther Hills this season. Looks like a brilliant project!
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, thanks Very Happy The season feels like it may be a different, and less stormy one. I can't remember such a meteorologically 'blocked' period and ongoing outlook at this time of the year. We'd usually be keeping our heads down to avoid the remnants of tropical storms through October and November.

We've made a start to the fencing ...

latest report
Dusting on upper mountain cams at Glencoe this pm...snow forecast this weekend in the Highlands....

Fingers crossed Smile
snow conditions
Looking forward to trying out Lowther Hills this year, just out of interest @moffatross, what discount do you get at the other areas when you become a member, and how is the pistey beastie fund going.
Do you think there would be any interest in the odd ski lesson for locals, i wouldn't mind doing that if possible and if it added to the coffers.
I will Pm you
latest report
@geeo, brilliant, just read your PM (have replied), and very much appreciate the offer Very Happy

On member benefits ...

http://snowsportscotland.org/membership/clubs/club-membership-benefits

... when I've shown the LHSC card @ Nevis for a day ticket, I think I got 10% off IIRC but I think each ski centre applies a different discount policy (e.g. Nevis is any time, but Glencoe only allows its use from Mon-Thurs).

On the groomer, we're already well over a third of the way to the purchase price of £9,900.

https://www.gofundme.com/LHSCpistebasher
snow conditions
There's snow in the Highlands!

- A dusting at Glencoe and Nevis.

- Lecht very white.

- Disappointingly, the cams at Glenshee and Cairngorm are currently down - but it's presumably snowy there too if the Lecht is anything to go by Very Happy
snow conditions
Just took a glance at the Lecht on reading this...very impressive covering. Would be good if it keeps going for the next 48 hours, survives the warmer winds forecast for later in the week and got hit with some more next weekend.

I know it prob won't, but it's good to be optimistic!
snow report
Snow gates closed at Tomintoul already:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-37888463
snow report
Was in aviemore this weekend to stay with friends. Went up Cairngorm yesterday. Complete whiteout at top 😀 Looked as if it was snowing again today before we left. Hope it keeps up
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bullseye over Scotlands worst ski area. There is no god.
snow report
do the lifts at scotland operate during week if weather permits?
ski holidays
Usually aye. But no doubt the cairngorm crew will spectacularly Be Nice please! up this rare window of opportunity.

Shift the snow to the west God you mother, they know how to deal with it there......
latest report
Cairngorm has had ~30cm up top and ~10cm at the bottom.

Snow forecast all this week...

Video with snow here:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1161753297251520
snow report
Lifts not yet running at Cairngorm, but first tracks seen here http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,172048,172116#msg-172116
snow report
Nice cover on the Buzzard side at the Lecht.

http://m.webcam-hd.com/ski-scotland/the-lecht-up

Cool
snow report
@moffatross, hoping to see a white Lowther Hill when the cam comes online...we need some good news on this particular morning!
snow report
@balernoStu, yes, much better news Happy

snow report
The Lecht is opening tomorrow, taken from Facebook:

The News youv'e all been waiting for: The Lecht will open for snowsports tomorrow. Lifts expected to open is Eagle 1, Grouse, Magic Carpet and Buzzard. The Chair may run weather permitting.

Forecast however is due to rise in temperature this evening bringing rain & continuing into the early hours of saturday morning, Cloudy for most of the day with a moderate westerly wind. Fingers crossed that the mild weather doesn't wipe out the snow.
latest report
The mild weather will destroy the lecht. Hope they get a day or two, they don't get many.
snow conditions
Quote:
Bullseye over Scotlands worst ski area. There is no god...
The mild weather will destroy the lecht. Hope they get a day or two, they don't get many.
Er, are you by any chance a glass half empty person scotspikey ?? Laughing

Hope someone has confiscated your belt, shoelaces etc... wink

I happen to like Cairngorm - great ski area with a long season and (for Scotland) reliable snow. It is badly managed at times though - if that's what you are alluding to.
snow conditions
Haha. Perhaps mountainaddict. My trips to Aviemore have not been enjoyable, disorganised chaos. West coast skier I guess. Glenshee is awesome if you catch it right, but for me nothing tops the west side for skiing.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy