Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Replacement pole grips

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know if you can buy replacement 18mm pole grips without paying twice the cost of the grips for delivery from the States. I don't mind if they are second hand from a pair of broken poles?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How on earth do you wear out grips before the pole has decomposed into metal dust?

New poles are a tenner at Decathlon BTW.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The grips were of 2 dissimilar materials. The plastic component was very thin and fractured where the strap was fixed as it created a weak spot. Just frustrating. It happened to both grips I had an old one replaced when I was skiing but the second broke on the last day.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dave of the Marmottes, You've got a garage full of single poles haven't you? Made me laugh last year that you skied with one pole rather than buy a new set, was Decathlon in St Anton not open that day?!! Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Buy new poles from Decathlon or similar. Pour boiling water over handle, pull handle off. Push handle onto new pole, screw in the top if it has a screw. Done.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've got some you can have. If you don't object to them being white, send me a PM with your address and I'll post them.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Markymark29 wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, You've got a garage full of single poles haven't you? Made me laugh last year that you skied with one pole rather than buy a new set, was Decathlon in St Anton not open that day?!! Laughing Laughing

Nah didn't have time to get a pair before we went up Rendl. Borrowed a pair from Jennewein for the last day. Wasn't keen on shelling out 80 Euro for one run when I have said single pole quiver in my garage. Also despite being from the better side of the Pennines I seem to have some Yorkshire tight pockets in my kecks. wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@altis, You know anywhere that still stocks those Grivel Condor grips? Was looking for one earlier this year and was told they'd been discontinued a while back.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whole pole:

http://www.needlesports.com/383/products/grivel-condor.aspx
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I always mangle my poles way before I need new grips.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Oceanic, Thanks Sorry I have not been online I have had a problem logging in which is now resolved Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Dave of the Marmottes, Just grab a thin ice axe shaft along with the pole grip and ditch the pole if you slip (need to have a wrist loop on the axe). Much more secure braking in a higher speed slide.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Scarpa, yebbut you have to carry the ice axe around all day whereas the Grivel just skis normally until you flop it out when you get somewhere spicy, possibly not entirely deliberately.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
... flop it out when you get somewhere spicy, possibly not entirely deliberately.

Always a good policy.
snow report
Er, they aint usually the dearest bit of kit. Treat yerself to a new pair off ebay
snow report
Nige03 wrote:
@Oceanic, Thanks Sorry I have not been online I have had a problem logging in which is now resolved Smile

I'm at Heathrow on my way to Tignes, will be back at home on Thursday.
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, Not much weight on a rucksack Smile
snow conditions
I just had to get some grips off a set of poles a couple of days ago.
1) squirt some "Plus Gas" on the bit where the handle joins the shaft ...
2) Wait a few seconds
3) Get out the "Work mate" vice and pop the handle between the boards and do up the vice so it stops the handle coming through.
4) Then "Whang" the shaft up so the handle smacks into the boards.
5) After several whangs the handles come off. (don't forget to undo the screw at the top)
snow report
I tried Mosha, the cost of the grips is cheap, the postage from the USA, which seems to be the only place that sells them, is exorbitant
latest report
@DrLawn, Have you tried a hair dryer its a fairly simple task and they come off easily. Well the broken one did.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy