Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crystal Ski Carriage

Poster: A snowHead
Just booked a week in January with Crystal. Normally do DIY but it was £120 cheaper so made sense.

The only bit that has got me wondering is their ski carriage. It's £40 per set of skis, I have a Dakine low roller so put two sets in it. Crystal wanted to charge £120 for this type of bag which seems a bit much really when I could split the skis and pay £80 (they give you an extra 20kg's but that does not bother me as can fit within the normal allowance)? I just paid the £40 and will put two sets in the bag. I appreciate that if I do this one set may not be insured but to be honest my skis are well used so would not be worth anything anyway.

Am I likely to get a bill at the airport when checking in? Flights are Newcastle - Geneva.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It depends on which airline you are placed with.
Crystals terms are spelled out http://www.crystalski.co.uk/help/flights-flying-info/
If you are with an airline that states one set of skis you are taking a chance putting 2 sets of skis in the bag dependent on the check-in staff or if they are having a purge. Normally they don't care.
£40 per set is reasonable compared to budget airline charges.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah i know that. It looks like we are on a Thomson charter so no idea if they actually check the baggage or not? I guess they will just contract check-in to ground crew at Newcastle so fingers crossed they wont be bothered to look and just put the bag tag on and tell me to go out the over sized bag bit.

I thought £40 was reasonable as well compared to Easyjet Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It is unlikely they will check the contents of bag, but watch out for the 15kg limit on single ski bag

p.s.
according to their website a double bag is charged at £60 (with Thompson airlines)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Remove second pair from bag. Check in. On your way to the oversize baggage ramp reinsert skis (together with all the other overweight junk).

I wouldn't dream of doing this myself, although I have been questioned by the police for hanging around outside BHX with a random collection of loose golf clubs Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ive been stopped once, had to go to another payment desk then return with the chit. Odd thing is..coming back they dont bother....
I have a ski box for two skis and never have a problem, flying with inghams in january (£35 per set)
And in march with crystal (£36per set )
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's unusual to actually get 'caught' at checkin/bag drop as generally the don't care too much so long as the bag's under weight.

Your real risk is if anything goes wrong and your bag gets lost or damaged. At this point you can expect them to point out you've broken the T&Cs and so aren't entitled to compensation. And what do you think the chances are your travel insurance also has a "only valid if you follow the airline's T&C's" clause to wiggle out of paying too...?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As soon as mine went on the weighing scale the gig was up... 😝😝So these days i just pay the carriage, cant be bothered with the hassle. But i do fill the box with loads of orher stuff, including wives snow shoes and all our toiletries
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
yorkshirelad wrote:
So these days i just pay the carriage, cant be bothered with the hassle. But i do fill the box with loads of other stuff, including wives snow shoes and all our toiletries

I first read this as, "But i do fill the box with loads of other stuff, including wives, snow shoes and all our toiletries" Doh! Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@yorkshirelad,

"Wives"?! Shocked

How many wives travel with you, exactly? Toofy Grin

1 is enough for me! wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bergmeister wrote:
@yorkshirelad,

"Wives"?! Shocked

How many wives travel with you, exactly? Toofy Grin

1 is enough for me! wink

They'd be as mad as angry wasps, when finally let out!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mine mad as a box of frogs... Only one but feels like more sometimes lol
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can't say about Newcastle but I've flown a lot with Crystal/Thompson from Manchester.
My version (and I have previously found proof by Googling their q&a (in past years) ) is that you get 15kg weight allowance per "ski carriage" paid for. Technically this is only for 1 set (or 1 board) but I've never had it questioned or checked, and they already know when you check in what you've paid for, so as long as it's below weight (and you are allowed to combine weight/bags) it seems OK.
They offer a 20kg maximum "coffin style" bag containing - and must apparently contain - 2 sets (or 1 board + 1 set skis, or 2 boards) option for £60 I think, or else you can buy 2 x ski carriage for £40 x 2, with a total of 2 x 15kg maximum.

Mr G and I have always paid for 2 "carriages" but put his board and my skis into just 1 large wheelie bag which has usually weighed in (with a few other bits) at around 22-23kg.
Technically you're not allowed to put your boots or clothes into said "carriage" bag either - so some people must have blinking heavy skis!

The maximum which Thompson Air will allow for any one bag, of any type, is 23kg (or was last year - sometimes they say 25kg but I think that's an older verson) - so we've paid for more weight than we're allowed to take but it does allow us 2 bags should we want to bring 2 bags back (at up to 2 x 15kg) for any reason...

As somone else said, the issue is more if there's loss or damage, but your insurance should cover some of that, and they only undertake to hire you one set per carriage - and again, I take that as one set per 1 set of paid for carriage rather than number per bag.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the opinions folks. I think they are mostly as expected with the exception of the wife bit Very Happy

I can't remember what weight the two sets of skis and poles comes to but my hold bag(with boots) is usually 15kg so can't see the weight being a massive issue.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
just weighed my skis -- skis/bindings/poles/bag = 7.88kgs. so you should be just about OK with two pairs....!
snow report
Lucky you are not flying with Flybe from Southampton (or wherever else they sell their overpriced budget product). Went to arrange ski carriage in September for my March Ski Total trip to Val d'Isere to be told they had already reached the maximum number of skis!! Bloomin booked it in April but takes along time for Ski Total and FlymayBe to communicate.

Irritating thing is I have bought a new pair of powder ski (there's me hoping) to go with the Blizzard Bonafides. Trying to put a brave face on it and trial a sub 90mm all mountain ski and try some touring.

Lucky am flying BA Business Class for the other two trips so no worries there. Good ol Avios
snow report
never had the ski bag contents checked at check in did have to have it looked through as a security check at the oversized baggage drop.

on a slightly different note has anyone had problems trying to book a double ski bag with Neilson have been told there system wont let me book a double bag and i will need to contact the airline 7 days before departure.
snow report
@hawkesbaynz,
For my Easter trip with BMI from Southampton to Munich they were only to glad to accept skis. They seemed almost overjoyed, said they love them on board. Glad I didn't choose FlyBE.

Are you on a Dash to Chambery?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy