Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good resort near Flaine?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there, after trying out most of the popular resorts in France and Austria in the last few years, I'm trying to look for something a bit more alternative. I'll go to Flaine in January, and I'm wondering what might be the best resort to visit the following week, considering that I'll be travelling without a car. As I start to look into this, it seems very inconvenient to travel to any of the larger resorts from Flaine - I'm an advanced skier (no offpiste though), I do like large resorts (180+ kms) and since I'll be travelling in January, I'd prefer snow-surer areas.

I've tried Avoriaz and honestly didn't like it too much... Perhaps it was the bad weather or just a bad year and I should simply go back to Portes du Soleil (any advice about other starting points instead of Avoriaz, in this case?), but if you have any other advice, I'll certainly appreciate it.

Thanks a lot, cheers!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@nobrainbcn, what didn't you like about Avoriaz? If it was the architecture, you won't like Flaine much either...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't even look at the architecture, I'm all about skiing Wink I just found the slopes in Avoriaz (and the connected resorts I managed to reach during the week, which was snowy and windy) a bit boring and not too inspiring, compared to my favourite resorts (most of which are in Austria, like Kitzbuehel, Ischgl, Solden, Lech-Zuers... or Tignes and 3Vallées in France).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There is a lot of choice within a short hop of Flaine. You could consider Chamonix which has got a lot of options for skiing but is a proper village. i would be tempted to head to the Tarentaise and try three valleys/Tignes-Val or Les Arcs. The size of the resorts and extent of the skiing would be the deciding factors.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@nobrainbcn, Why is it inconvenient to travel to any of the other big resorts from Flaine? There are frequent busses to Cluses from where the French railway network will get you to many big resorts. For example Cluses to Bourg takes a gentle 5 hours and costs about 40 euro.

The only problem is that the SNCF (www.sncf.com) web site appears to be hijacked and I cannot actually get the real prices for advanced bookings. It keeps redirecting me to another site quoting prices in sterling.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks! I've been to 3Vallées, Tignes-Val and Les Arcs-La Plagne. They're all pretty cool (in that order, I'd say), but a bit inconvenient to reach from Flaine because - without boring you with too many details - I should travel there on a Sunday afternoon after skiing the day in Flaine. Chamonix is more convenient, and the skiing is nice as I remember from a weekend there years ago, but a bit small for a week for my taste...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shared Transfer to GVA with Gomassif.com and start again from there. Verbier or Nendaz?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@nobrainbcn,

I think Verbier is your obvious choice given your preferences (perhaps the only one that ticks them all).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was afraid you'd say Verbier because that was my obvious choice too, but it's so damn expensive Wink Any advice on cheap and ski-convenient accomodation?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Stay in Le Châble?

Although I must confess, I can't think of anywhere good enough for your particular needs. Anywhere, anywhere.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As said Verbier stay in Le Chable take the train Cluses-Chamonix - Martigny-Le Chable
or
St Gervais (evaison Mont Blanc)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How about La Clusaz, not been personally but on my to-do list after a wonderful summer break in Annecy.
There are direct bus links from Geneva Airport on Sundays with Aeroskibus. There are 125km of linked slopes in the La Clusaz/Manigod area, whilst a shuttle bus service links La Clusaz to Le Grand Bornand and with a Massif des Aravis ski pass, you can access 220kms of slopes. Enough to keep you busy for a week.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would go to Chamonix if Verbier is too pricey (it is for me!!!) 4 very contrasting ski areas, lots of piste, steep and less steep, fabulous scenery, vibrant village, snow sure
Ticks all you boxes to my mind, and it contrasts nicely with Flaine without being mega expensive.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks a lot for all your advice! Especially the ones about Le Châble: I was able to find a cool accomodation there at a reasonable price, so Verbier, here I come Smile I'll check out the posts about it for tips and the like.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy