Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Resorts suggestions for April 1-7

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

The last 2 years I have been to chamonix to ski at this time bescause its cheap, good snow and short transfer time. However as my wife and son are beginners its not been the best resort to learn to ski. At night it has also been like a ghost town with little to no apres ski. Can anyone suggest anywhere else which is more for beginners and A Good Intermediate which has a lively apres ski, ideal ski in ski out which transfer time of 2 hours max??? Help Im struggling. I really want my wife and son to get the buzz this year??? Can only go on these dates as my wife is a teacher!!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For lively apres you need to look at Austria. Saalbach would tick all your boxes.

Val d'Isere has great apres, good snow in early April and some nice beginner runs, but transfer is closer to 3 hours.

Val Thorens is also good in April.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh Thanks, What about Avoriaz that looks nice and has short transfer time???
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@HoneyBunny, Although the families we've had staying with us for Easter holidays in the first week of April have invariably had an excellent time (beginners included, especially now that the top of the Bernkogel mountain has been transformed into an ideal beginners area, as a result of the new 6-seater chair lift replacing the former, much-maligned T-bars), it should be pointed out that the apres-ski quietens down considerably after the end of March. However Bobby's Pub still offers music, conviviality and ten-pin bowling.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Will there be good snow still do you think?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@liam6913, you may not get all your requirements at that time of year. Ski in/out may not be possible!
A consideration for the beginners is where the learner slopes are. Many resorts have their learner slopes at resort level (or near to it) and there is a possibility that these will be in the worst shape at that time of year. For that reason I would consider Les 2 Alpes. There are loads of easy blues and greens on the glacier - so no problem with conditions for a learner. Personally I didn't like the skiing in that resort but I think it would be a good one to learn at in April.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For cast iron good conditions and the sort of slopes that beginners will enjoy, Val Thorens has a lot going for that that time of year. Its about 2 hrs 30-45 mins from Geneva by car. The snow will be less prone to mush given the altitude and the slopes immediately around the resort are gentle. The only note of caution I would have is that it can be very popular in late season. Last year we were in the 3V in early April and headed up there one day as it was mild and mushy lower down. The place was heaving! We made a sharp exit. Somewhere we also like in the 3V where the snow keeps well and has ideal slopes for beginners is Courchevel 1650 (Moriond). That very same week, we headed over there and had a lovely ski. The slopes are very nice and confidence inspiring right down to the village. Much accommodation to be found a short walk across the road to the lift. It's not party central, but there are a few nice bars and restaurants for the evening.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Will there be good snow still do you think?

At most major ski resorts, it would be very unusual not to be able to find "good snow" in early April, although the weather will determine whether you will find it outside your front door or higher up the mountain. Like the UK, the weather can be warm and sunny or wintry. Dumps of fresh snow right into April, and even at relatively modest altitudes are not unusual. When the weather is fine, typically the pistes freeze hard overnight, and those that face due south will offer good skiing until late morning but will become soft in the afternoons - although not necessarily too difficult to ski, depending on how heavily used they are. When the weather is sunny, the orientation of the slopes becomes more important than earlier in the season - for the best snow in the afternoons, it pays to ski the north- and west-facing slopes. A resort offering a good variety of pistes is advisable; also, if you're likely to be going separate ways for at least some of the time, with easy opportunities for meeting up on the mountain. The advance of snow-making technology has made an enormous difference to snow reliability at the extremities of the ski season - quantity of snow is seldom a problem in resorts that have invested, and it's probably true to say that decent snow coverage is more guaranteed at Easter than at Christmas. Ski-in ski-out is still possible - in fact not difficult to find. Resorts will of course vary enormously in character and snow sureness/quality, and you're undoubtedly doing the right thing by researching and asking relevant questions of those who have the experience and/or local knowledge.

As you say that you want your wife and son to "get the buzz" this year, you would be well advised to decide what kind of resort, which country, and what other things are important, apart from the skiing.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Plenty options.

Courchevel 1850.
Meribel.
Val Thorens.
Avoriaz.
St Anton.
Val d'Isere.
Davos.
Sauze d'Oulx.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy