Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Demonstration of Rescue Methods from Gondola Cabins

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Recently, the Swiss resort of Grimentz held a demo in these techniques, which was run by the staff of the lift company. Here is a link to the Top News website, which has lots of photos, of folks dangling wink

http://www.top-news.ch/galeries-topnews/index.php?id_rub=132
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A few years ago in Courcheval 1850 I watched some chair-lift rescue training. Just outside the top station of the bubble lift between 1300 and 1850 there are (were?) two or three pylons with fixed steel ropes and a couple of chairs. A group of about 15 people were using ropes, pulleys, harnesses etc to slide from top of pylon to chair; lower a person from chair to ground; and then sit in the chair to be rescued by the next person.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They're not dangling that high - I wonder what the height limit for absailing people out of the cabins is?

....Alan won't be happy about you publicising Grimentz again wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ian Hopkinson,
Quote:

Alan won't be happy about you publicising Grimentz again

Perhaps he could explain why, when he next drops by. BTW I'm not publicising the village, Top-News have that honour, this week.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ian Hopkinson wrote:
They're not dangling that high - I wonder what the height limit for absailing people out of the cabins is?

I'm not sure, Ian, but it's lower than the recommended height for parachuting/base-jumping out of gondola cabins.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David, whilst your proposed "2nd method" would be exciting, I'd have thought the second method would be to run some sort of temporary car along the cables - the Obergurgl - Hochgurgl gondola has some really high stretches and it looked to me like they had facilities for loading flatbed trolleys onto the cable at the pylons at either end of the big drop.

snowbunny, I think Alan likes to see Grimentz as his own wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ian Hopkinson, the height limit is how long their abseil rope is, typically this is between 50M and 100M so quite a drop, I've also seen a technique here in Wengen where a helicopter with a large net enclosed platform is used to take people off of teh cable car but I don't think it would work with smaller gondolas or chairlifts due to the downdraught from the rotor blades
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd like to see them do that from the Vanoisse express Shocked

That's definitely a candidate for the base jump method - I wonder how many chutes they keep on board in case?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You know things are bad when they're abseiling people off a T-bar.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ian Hopkinson wrote:

....Alan won't be happy about you publicising Grimentz again wink

How long is a bit of string!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy