Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski/Snowboard Carriage on flights

Poster: A snowHead
Is there are resource anywhere with up-to-date information on costs for taking skis and snowbaords on flights?

I have a choice between travelling Easyjet, Ryanair or BA.

Ryanair flights are only £22 each return and from our nearest airport
Easyjet flights are £47 each return
BA flights are £103 each return

We need to take 1 snowboard & boots and 1 pair of skis & boots.

What is my best solution going to be?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@tiermorelass, how did you work out the BA cost? I ask as according to their literature...

Quote:
Our with-baggage fares include at least one bag per person of up to 23kg... Larger items of up to 190cm x 75cm x 65cm (75in x 29.5in x 25.5in) can be carried for an additional over-sized bag charge. (Currently, we waive this charge so you do not pay it.)

So if you can pack the Board and skis in one bag, under 23kg, plus stuff it with other assorted stuff, you should be fine.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You need to check each airlines policy seperately, they will be in their terms and conditions, BA don't charge if the bag is used as your hold allowance. I personally just prefer flying with them as well so would always pick them over sleazyjet or ryanair unless they were hundreds of punds more expensive
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I haven't factored in the cost of skis - those are the standard ticket prices. I have tried to read the policies but have just got far too confused!!

Richard_Sideways, is it possible to put skis and board in the same bag, do you think?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In my experience they always have a luggage allowance section which tends to clearly state how much they charge for 'over sized' baggage. If I recall Sleazyjet were £30 each way last time I looked. BA definitely don't charge if it is used as your hold allowance (i.e you don't have other hold bags to check in)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, I made a big list of ski/board baggage fees in October: http://www.luex.com/magazine/2015/10/15/the-ultimate-list-of-airline-ski-and-snowboard-baggage-fees/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thankyou clarky999, just what I was looking for! So seems to be that BA price will be exactly the same as the ryanair price once you include ski carriage... and at least BA will give me food and wine, so guess that wins!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The list offered by clarky999 is fairly comprehensive, but here are a few minor additions, I.e. EasyJet includes skis + boots. Not so sure about Ryanair.

Personally I will never fly Ryanair because of their customer service.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Steveee wrote:
Personally I will never fly Ryanair because of their customer service.

I feel the same. The CEO does himself no favours when I see him ranting on telly either.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Steveee, pretty sure you have to pay to add ANY hold luggage with Easyjet these days?

@tiermorelass, no worries!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@tiermorelass, The only time they care is when you're trying to make a claim against lost luggage. Most airlines say somewhere in the small print "Only one pair of skis/snowboard per bag" this is solely for insurance purposes to stop people claiming large losses of stuff should outsized luggage get left behind. I've never once been challenged on this. The airline don't really care, as long as the bag isn't too big or too heavy, so relax.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999 wrote:
Yes, I made a big list of ski/board baggage fees in October: http://www.luex.com/magazine/2015/10/15/the-ultimate-list-of-airline-ski-and-snowboard-baggage-fees/

Cracking comparison guide! Will definitely drive traffic to your site.

Will you be updating it as you go or every so often? (And noting when updated so users can tell if its up to date)

Doesnt work so well on my "smart" phone but an old iphone so maybe thats the issue.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ster, thanks!

Yes I will be, as much as possible! So if anyone notices anything outdated/wrong, please let me know!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@clarky999, Awesome

Now if you can do a snow fall vs No. of lifts vs No. of slope vs. time piste/lift closed resort comparison that would be awesome Happy Would help greatly in booking each years holidays Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@clarky999, I always fly Lufthansa when possible and find that they will take skis and a hold bag as long as the pair combined wigh less than 23kg and you tell them in advance
ski holidays
Fly SWISS if you can. They are the only airline who will carry your skis and boots – in separate bags – for free, in addition to your luggage allowance. And they are so much better than easyjet/ryanair.
snow report
@cjhack, +1 for Swiss BUT car hire very expensive Swiss side of Geneva
ski holidays
cjhack wrote:
Fly SWISS if you can. They are the only airline who will carry your skis and boots – in separate bags – for free, in addition to your luggage allowance.

Not strictly true, Lufthansa will also carry skis and boots in separate bags for free (of course Lufthansa also own Swiss anyway). Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, Also not strictly true - a friend was recently threatened with having to pay for his boot bag when he had it separate to his hold bag and skis when travelling from LHR with Lufthansa
ski holidays
Snowsartre wrote:
@Alastair Pink, Also not strictly true - a friend was recently threatened with having to pay for his boot bag when he had it separate to his hold bag and skis when travelling from LHR with Lufthansa

Ah, I stand corrected. I only ever have a ski bag with me (not a separate boot bag), I was going from the description of ski equipment from the Lufthansa website, where it defines "ski equipment" as "a pair of ski, a pair of poles, a pair of boots (even in separate bag (my italics)), a helmet". That would imply that a ski bag and a separate boot bag comprises one piece of "ski equipment".

However, I see on closer reading it also states "The first piece of checked ski or snowboarding equipment is included in the free baggage allowance regulations on all flights except those to/from the USA, Mexico and Central America (Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama) and is therefore free of charge." As is often the case the website wording seems contradictory and confusing, opening the way for arguments at the check-in desk! Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Hey @clarky999, would be good to see SAS and Norwegian on your list. Cheers
latest report
@Alastair Pink, you are correct. With Lufthansa you can have ski bag and separate boot bag in the hold as well as 23kg suitcase. I checked with Lufthansa customer services at Heathrow when booking in my skis. You must ring Lufthansa and they email a confirmation of special baggage.

I returned yesterday and had no trouble and my friends didn't either,

Also be careful when booking with Lufthansa you do not get free ski carriage if you don't book economy that includes 23kg hold baggage. There may be a fare for hand luggage only.
ski holidays
Has anyone had experience with Swiss Air? They say you can take swap your checked baggage for ski carriage (one set of skis, poles, helmet and boots in separate bag)

https://www.swiss.com/us/EN/prepare/baggage/special-baggage

As long as you keep within your checked baggage limit which is 23kg - OK with all of this so far

But as part of the checked baggage allowance it says that the total dimensions cannot exceed 158cm being width + depth + height

https://www.swiss.com/us/en/prepare/baggage/checked-baggage

So does this checked bag size limitation also applied to the skis as they would then need to be very short skis??? I can't think so but its not clear.

Apart from that has anyone got 2 pairs of skis and Poles in one ski bag. Is this allowed? If found would they not allow it or count out as two of your checked bags used up? Or don't they even check?
ski holidays
ster wrote:
Has anyone had experience with Swiss Air? They say you can take swap your checked baggage for ski carriage (one set of skis, poles, helmet and boots in separate bag)

https://www.swiss.com/us/EN/prepare/baggage/special-baggage

As long as you keep within your checked baggage limit which is 23kg - OK with all of this so far

But as part of the checked baggage allowance it says that the total dimensions cannot exceed 158cm being width + depth + height

https://www.swiss.com/us/en/prepare/baggage/checked-baggage

So does this checked bag size limitation also applied to the skis as they would then need to be very short skis??? I can't think so but its not clear.

Apart from that has anyone got 2 pairs of skis and Poles in one ski bag. Is this allowed? If found would they not allow it or count out as two of your checked bags used up? Or don't they even check?

It's saying you can take generic sports equipment for free so long as the cumulative total of your bags doesn't exceed you kg limit.

However it says you van choose to buy an extra sports bag abd not be restricted by the cumulative limit. E.g. Golf bag

If you look at ski/snowboard it tells you that you get an additional bag for free if it's for winter sports. I've been a few times on Swiss ( note, not Swiss air) and taken a free ski bag.
ski holidays
Join topcashback. https://www.topcashback.co.uk/home
They give cashback on some ski flights (Swiss, Easy Jet), holidays, and airport car parking etc. I've booked a ski holiday with crystalski next march and and getting £22 back. Think its 1.5% with Swiss.
snow report
tiermorelass wrote:
...and at least BA will give me food and wine, so guess that wins!

Not unless you're buying said food and wine they won't. Short haul now you get nowt on BA as part of their "upgraded on board offering" since earlier this year. But you can buy an overpriced pre-packaged sandwich from their buy on board service. Out of principle I point blankly refuse to spend/buy a single thing on board BA shorthaul, I eat/drink in the airport before hand if I need to.

But I'd still take BA over Ryan & EasyJ unless the other two were markedly cheaper as at least you can avios and the exec club benefits if you have bronze/silver/gold and, as already covered, use your checked hold item for your skis or board bag.
latest report
BA stopped their meals last year, I flew Swiss air and did get a snack and a cup of tea on the way out and a toasted cheese and ham sandwhich and a glass of wine on the return flight. They even had a few spare toasted sandwiches and gave me a second one. If you are taking skis Swiss is probably cheapest. BA only let you take one bag- some people try to manage with hand luggage and a big ski bag stuffed with clothes. Swiss let you take 23kg bag plus a ski bag. Easy jet charges ~£60 for ski carriage.
snow report
Badbobby wrote:

It's saying you can take generic sports equipment for free so long as the cumulative total of your bags doesn't exceed you kg limit.

However it says you van choose to buy an extra sports bag abd not be restricted by the cumulative limit. E.g. Golf bag

If you look at ski/snowboard it tells you that you get an additional bag for free if it's for winter sports. I've been a few times on Swiss ( note, not Swiss air) and taken a free ski bag.

Cheers for the info (noted re SWISS, just remember old Swissair).

When you went did you find them looking into the ski bag to check the number of pairs of skis? Did you try/get away with more than one pair in the ski bag?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've never known of it to happen on any airline, not to me nor anyone I've ever known.

I think there are always tales of it happening occasionally though.
snow report
Badbobby wrote:
I've never known of it to happen on any airline, not to me nor anyone I've ever known.

I think there are always tales of it happening occasionally though.

Same when I traveled BA. Had three pairs in there then but dont think BA care re number just weight.
snow conditions
Gate agents rarely employed by airlines. Why would they care?
ski holidays
Oversize (ski) bags usually get weighed and stickered at the usual bag drop place but then have to be taken by the passenger to an oversize bag drop place. I've heard of folk adding extra skis to the bag between the two places and not having any problems with the extra weight. Laughing

Obviously I wouldn't condone this type of scurrilous behaviour.
snow report
sequoiaboard wrote:
Oversize (ski) bags usually get weighed and stickered at the usual bag drop place but then have to be taken by the passenger to an oversize bag drop place. I've heard of folk adding extra skis to the bag between the two places and not having any problems with the extra weight. Laughing

Obviously I wouldn't condone this type of scurrilous behaviour.

Outrageous... Where's my note book?
snow report
Hmm. I wonder how much passengers fiddling the system by adding extra, unweighed skis (or other unweighed baggage) affect weight and moment calculations for the aircraft. I really don't know - maybe there is a contingency allowance. Care to comment, chocksaway?
snow report
achilles wrote:
Hmm. I wonder how much passengers fiddling the system by adding extra, unweighed skis (or other unweighed baggage) affect weight and moment calculations for the aircraft. I really don't know - maybe there is a contingency allowance. Care to comment, chocksaway?

No idea but so few people are likely to do it and all it would take, if the margins were that slim, would be a few extra fat families.....

Disaster.
snow report
@sequoiaboard, On a large aircraft the risk is probably low - after all we know that fiddling has happened and the aircraft haven't crashed. However, accidents are often caused by a number of factors all conspiring together to cause the result. Here's an example
Quote:
A commuter plane that crashed on takeoff from Charlotte, N.C., in January was 400 to 1,000 pounds overweight, and two bags in its tail baggage compartment were so heavy that it took two handlers to carry each of them, a sign that the plane was tail-heavy as well, people involved in the investigation said.

But government investigators said the flight would probably have been completed without incident if not for a maintenance error two days before, which they said they believed left the pilots unable to get full motion out of the mechanism that raises the tail and lowers the nose. The plane, US Airways Express flight 5481, a Beech 1900d, tilted up to 52 degrees above the horizontal, and then fell out of the sky. Both pilots and all 19 passengers were killed.

Small aircraft in that case, of course. I am curious if there has been the occasional problem with larger planes.
snow report
@achilles, as you say accurate weight assessment is obviously more important on small aircraft given the relative margins involved. I recall that on a flight in Scotland on a small aircraft with only 6 passengers maximum, both luggage and passengers were individually weighed.
As there was only a single pilot I was also hoping that he'd passed the annual medical checks recently with flying colours. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
They are now and then extremely fussy about weights for helicopters, in Canada at least. They do that anyway for commercial reasons (to ensure they carry only the fuel they need and to make sure they have the power to lift when full), but there are specific regulations which require more stringent weight measurement (eg a heli's payload all standing on a platform with their equipment to be weighed to ensure they don't exceed the maximum payload of the vehicle).

In Alaska they have those Beechcraft and similar (floatplanes generally). Perhaps not quite those, but smaller light planes often have significantly fewer formal controls. I have, for example, flown extensively with gasoline containers piled on my lap. Essentially if you can fit it in and if the pilot can take off you're good to go.

I would be extremely surprised if commercial airlines did not weigh all their containers and know precisely how much payload they have in there. That said, they don't apparently weigh the fat people, so they must assume an average mass for the customers and add in some margin?
snow report
They should have a metal frame for people to sit in similaer to the ones used to check the size of handluggage.
If your bottom doesnt fit you should have to pay extra.
snow conditions
The thing about going over the weight limit is that for every person like me (3-5kg over) there is someone like my parents who only have a bag weighing 13kg
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy