Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SR: It Snows in Wales - 2016/17 Winter Season in the Brecon Beacons & Snowdonia National Parks

Poster: A snowHead
SATURDAY 19 NOVEMBER 2016

YR EIRA GYNTAF - THE FIRST SNOW

Day 1 skiing in the Brecon Beacons National Park for winter 2016-17

I've recently moved from Cardiff to Llandeilo in Carmarthenshire (my girlfriend Nerys has a new job with the National Trust) so the Mynydd Du (pronounced 'mun-ith dee', Black Mountain) slopes in the west of the Brecon Beacons National Park have become more accessible.

A 30 minute drive from Llandeilo takes me to Llandeusant and the 45 minute walk to the slopes above Llyn y Fan Fawr and Llyn y Fan Fach.

This part of the park is more difficult to access than the Central Beacons Massif and as a consequence sees far fewer visitors and feels more remote and wilder.

Llyn-y-Fan Fach is ringed by the glacial cirque of Waun Lefrith (677m).

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ll=51.884968%2C-3.789597&spn=0.254296%2C0.494385&hl=en&t=p&msa=0&z=11&source=embed&ie=UTF8&mid=z14RFdnlNxxE.kZzv9qaRgjy8

Quote:
Llyn y Fan Fach (Welsh: 'lake of the small peak') is the smaller and more westerly of two natural lakes within the Black Mountain. It is enclosed within a rock hollow formed as a result of glacial action during the ice ages. It is about 500 yards long and 200 yards wide, and roughly oriented east-west. It is drained by the Afon Sawdde which cuts through a glacial moraine which in part forms a natural dam. Llyn y Fan Fach is associated with the Lady of the Lake legend.

The lake can easily be reached by foot from the car park on the water board access road near Llanddeusant, although the road to the car park is poorly signposted, and in very poor condition for car travel.

Lady of the Lake Legend
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myddfai#Lady_of_the_Lake_legend

You can access Fan Brycheiniog (802m) and the larger LLyn-y-Fan-Fawr (the larger of the two lakes) off the A4067 Abercrave to Crai road, but this trail although shorter is often waterlogged and boggy.

There was just a dusting of snow around LLyn-y-Fan-Fach so I traversed around the base of Bannau Sir Gaer (749m) and walked up the Twr y Fan Foel ridgeline (802m) to Fan Brycheiniog.

The summit plateau was snowcapped with skiable snow approx. 150-200m down the face.

Making turns off Fan Brycheiniog

Not many, not pretty, but all fantastic Smile

About To Walk

http://youtube.com/v/mu_lexN6Hpo

Previous seasons reports

SR : Wales 2015 / 16
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2790816#2790816

SR : Wales 2013 / 14
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2388201&highlight=wales+brecon+beacons#2388201

SR : Wales 2012 / 13
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=92399&highlight=mike+pow+wales

The best sources of information I've found to maximise my chances of making turns are:

Derek 'the weather' Brockway on BBC Wales TV and Radio

Met Office Weather
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/mountain-forecasts/brecon-beacons#?tab=mountainWeather

Snow-forecast Pen-y-Fan
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Penyfan/6day/top

Brecon Beacons webcam
http://www.breconbeacons.org/webcams

Storey Arms web cam
http://members.traffic-wales.com/cctvimages/camera4001.jpg?

But even with that information you never know until you go.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 6-05-17 8:40; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Excellent, and kudos to you sir ! I know exactly how much hard work turning those skis would have been, and jump turning the tufty bits must have been very tempting Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers @moffatross Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nice. Love your dedication to the cause! Hope you get some properly deep snow up there this winter at some point.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Unwaith eto'n nghymru annwyl.

Nice one @Mike Pow
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks @rob@rar and @Chamcham

It's been hammering down all day in Llandeilo. Cold too.

Storey Arms webcam looking very promising for turns up high tomorrow or Wednesday Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mike Pow, snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good stuff.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers @AndAnotherThing and @Whitegold
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
TUESDAY 22 NOVEMBER 2016

Day 2 skiing in the Brecon Beacons National Park for winter 2016-17

UNDER THE SEA
At one time, in pre-history, the high peaks of the Brecon Beacons were under water. They were the ocean floor.

If you're lucky, you can still come across fossilised ammonites in the summit rocks

For my second day skiing in the Brecon Beacons National Park for winter 2016/17 I headed to the Central Beacons Massif (Corn Du, Pen-y-Fan & Cribyn) to see if there was anything left down low and anything new up high after the previous day's torrential storm.

The answer was yes to both.

There was a solid 'base' of compacted snow underfoot. Spongy, with a layer of buttercream frosting.

The visibility was down to 20 m at times with a fine mist blowing across the slopes which slowly but surely coated everything in a film of water - the snow, my clothes, the camera lens.

So much so it felt like skiing underwater.

The west face of Cribyn

It's been clear all day today, so the snow should last a few more days.

Thursday looks to be a sunny, inversion day.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 6-05-17 8:41; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hehehe - good stuff - hope I don't get to meet you on a call out Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Me too @AsterixTG, me too.

A few more likely candidates ahead of me though I think.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nice day out by the looks of it snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarpa wrote:
Nice day out by the looks of it snowHead

Always better than being indoors.

Got plenty of turns under my skis Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mike Pow wrote:
Me too @AsterixTG, me too.

A few more likely candidates ahead of me though I think.

Yeah, although it's actually been a bit quieter since the weather turned. Maybe people are being a bit timid.

We've training tonight. I'll ask the more experienced guys as I'm a relative noob.
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, Gwaith ffantastig! snowHead
snow report
Harrison the Rabbit wrote:
@Mike Pow, Gwaith ffantastig! snowHead

Diolch yn fawr
For the non-Welsh, 'Thank you very much' in reply to your comment 'fantastic work / job'
ski holidays
Cool!!
snow report
Cheers @clarky999
snow conditions
THURSDAY 24 NOVEMBER 2016

Day 3 skiing in the Brecon Beacons National Park for winter 2016-17

GO INTO THE LIGHT, CAROL ANNE!!
For my third day skiing in the Brecon Beacons National Park for winter 2016/17, I returned to the Central Beacons Massif (Corn Du, Pen-y-Fan & Cribyn) hoping to enjoy the forecasted inversion.

The inversion didn't materialise, instead today's turns were brought to you by the movie Poltergeist. Click the link below to get a sense of the pre-dawn conditions

http://youtube.com/v/i4Dc-J_mD7c

The turns off the summit of Pen-y-Fan down towards the Upper Neuadd reservoir were smooth and consistent on 'corn' like snow and the snow on the path back to the Afon ar Daf car park was firm and rutted, but good fun nonetheless.

Here's hoping for some sunshine tomorrow

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 6-05-17 8:42; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Me getting ready if you keep insisting... Wink

latest report
Nice.

As I said, quite a few candidates ahead of me.

Passed three guys on the way down this morning, walking up in jeans and trainers with no backpacks and no backup.
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:
Passed three guys on the way down this morning, walking up in jeans and trainers with no backpacks and no backup.
Shocked

I was on an outwards bounds course when I was 17 and we got caught near top of Penyfan in April when the weather closed in. Sleet, strong wind, zero viz. Genuinely scary experience. Too many people think it's "just a bit of a walk". in the hills.
snow conditions
Mike Pow wrote:

Walking (edit: ski of course) in the mountains you sometimes enconter "funny" people - and sometimes you have to help them out. Puzzled
snow report
Hyst wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Walking (edit: ski of course) in the mountains you sometimes enconter "funny" people - and sometimes you have to help them out. Puzzled

Absolutely.

I gave them a full description of the conditions they would encounter.

They carried on up.
latest report
See it all the time.

Ignorance.
snow report
FRIDAY 25 NOVEMBER 2016

Day 4 skiing in the Brecon Beacons National Park for winter 2016-17

WHITE FRIDAY
After a couple of days of near zero visibility, high winds and saturating mist I headed up to the summit of Pen-y-Fan under a clear, starlit sky.

I've never seen so many stars.

Little wonder the Brecon Beacons National Park is one of just five destinations in the world - and the first in Wales - to be accredited by the International Dark Sky Association as an International Dark Sky Reserve.

By the time I got to the summit the 'dragon's breath' mist had rolled in, shrouding Cribyn and the sunrise. But around 45 minutes later the mist cleared to reveal the Beacons in all its glory.

The snow had firmed up since yesterday and I was able to make laps on the East Ridge of Pen-y-Fan in the alpenglow of sunrise

http://youtube.com/v/djSmkFwe8w0

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 6-05-17 8:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Cheers @AndAnotherThing and @Chamcham
snow conditions
Fantastic! Sounds like hard work though Shocked
latest report
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
Fantastic! Sounds like hard work though Shocked

Quite a bit of walking for not many turns, but worth it IMHO Smile
snow report
@Mike Pow, Da iawn! snowHead
snow report
Diolch yn fawr Smile
snow report
TUESDAY 29 NOVEMBER 2016

Day 1 skiing in Snowdonia National Park for winter 2016-17

A change of scenery today, and my first turns in Snowdonia National Park.

I'd arranged to meet up with Mark Handford of Snowdonia Adventures (snowdonia-adventures.co.uk) who'd skied the Carneddau Range with our very own AndAnotherThing last season.

Other images from the area can be seen in AndAnotherThing's thread

English & Welsh Skiing - 16/17 (New season name change)
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=92360&start=160

Mark knows the area like the back of his hand and I couldn't have been in better company.

After watching the sun rise over Llyn Ogwen I met Mark in the layby on the A5 opposite the 'Glan Dena' hut.

We then proceeded to follow the path that crisscrossed Afan Lloer to Ffynon Lloer lake sitting below Pen yr Ole Wen

We bootpacked to about 750m and then skinned across to the saddle between Carnedd Dafydd and our final destination Carnedd Llewelyn (1064m)

Mark with the Menai Strait, Anglesey and the Irish Sea beyond

The final push to Carnedd Llewelyn (1064m)

Mark skiing off Carnedd Llewelyn

Heading down to Ffynon Lloer lake

The King of Spain

http://youtube.com/v/3glQ_EnmY5Y

A brilliant day out with a brilliant host.

If you're looking to get the goods in Snowdonia, get in touch with Mark.

Can't wait to return.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 6-05-17 8:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Epic...
snow conditions
Great effort.

Skied down to the Black ladders from carnedd Llewelyn in Easter 1995. Absolutely superb run. Did it twice despite the hour walk back up. Lot fitter in those days.

Some fabulous skiing in Snowdonia if you can get the conditions. Cool
ski holidays
Sharkymark wrote:
Epic...

Cheers Smile
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:
Great effort.

Skied down to the Black ladders from carnedd Llewelyn in Easter 1995. Absolutely superb run. Did it twice despite the hour walk back up. Lot fitter in those days.

Some fabulous skiing in Snowdonia if you can get the conditions. Cool

Thanks.

Might have to get the passport ready and head for The Lakes Wink
latest report
Hi all, it's been a few years since I last logged in!!!!!! sorry haha
cheers for a great day Mike,brilliant fun and always nice to meet a snowhead. Great write up about skiing in Wales, we really do have some great places to ski.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy