Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski carriage. British Airways

Poster: A snowHead
It appears that BA now charge for ski's. On Sunday my daughter flew to Norway. Previously ski bag never weighed, now we are told that maximum weight including ski's 23 kilo anything over charged as excess baggage. This according to check-in is a new directive bought in a couple of weeks ago. Mad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'll be printing my T's & C's - they say 2 bags, upto 32 kilos each. Skis & boots in separate bags count as 1 item.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gsb, that goes contrary to their advertising campaign - and my personal experience - I haven't had anyone say that to me before (and most recently returned from Geneva week past on Sunday - with skis). Maybe it was a very busy flight and they had to enforce baggage limits?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gsb, yes, a few airlines are dropping to 23kg limits per bag now. Also most (if not all) European flights are not counted as "International" any more, so "Domestic" limits apply.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gsb, when 6 of us flew BA from Heathrow over New Year with skis/boots etc we did end up a bit over their limit but they let us off. I believe for European and domestic they allow 23kg per person in up to 2 bags each.

nbt, I think the 2 bags up to 32kg each is only relevant if you are flying to (or even via) USA or Canada
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Roger C, We're off to Whistler so that makes sense
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagchk/public/en_gb
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ski equipment has been included within the normal BA baggage allowance (23kg or two pieces depending on destination) for quite a few years. However I've only found this enforced once: this was four years ago and I agree we did have a fair bit of kit rolling eyes As recently as mid-January I travelled scheduled BA and weren't charged.

So either you were very unlikely, or they have very recently decided to enforce their conditions.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My daughter was in a group of about 20, all with a fair bit of kit. We were told that in future the limit is going to be applied across the board, no exceptions. (I suspect that quiet a few passengers weigh more than she does even with all her kit)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagsport/public/en_gb

Snow ski equipment
You may take:

One pair of skis and ski poles or a snowboard or a monoski

One pair of bindings and boots

If you are on a flight where the baggage weight allowance applies:

The equipment is included in the baggage allowance

Normal excess baggage charges apply

If you are on a flight where the baggage piece allowance applies:

The equipment is carried as one piece of baggage

Normal excess baggage rates apply
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It is quite unfair that they charge you at the excess baggage rate for ski carriage - this would work out v expensive. I thought the excess baggage charge is et high to act as a deterrent to people taking too much - it does not actually reflect the true extra fuel costs for that weight. The least they could do is charge a set amount for ski carriage as other airlines do.

Saying that, I flew BA to Nice at NY and wasn't charged excess.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BA have always weighed ski bags as normal bags haven't they? Either 32 or 23 per bag * 2 bags depending on whether it is a long haul or short haul flight...They didn't care that we had a 26 and a 14 at xmas though...Personally I couldn't carry any more than that so it's PLENTY!

Or are you saying it's 2 bags up to 23k total now?

aj xx
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ajhainey, I understand that from now on, BA will weigh every item you are checking into the hold. If it totals over 23kg, you will pay excess baggage. A set ski carriage charge would be cheaper by far. Anyone with Metrons planning to fly BA wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have just checked my tickets from NewYear and this was in place then - 23k total, split between one or two bags. Maybe because we were such a big group (12 I think!) they just gave up? On average I think we were well under, but I know a few individual pieces were over...

At least it's clear I guess, and it can't be that hard to stay under - we only had 30 kilo between us (2) on the long weekend to schladming...ANother incentive for shorter skis Very Happy

aj xx
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
How much other stuff do people carry? If you can't get a ski bag with all your clothes in for a normal 1 week or less holiday to under 23kg (with ski boots in hand luggage if necessary) then I'd suggest at looking at whether everything is essential.
ski holidays
Remember that your hand luggage is additional - although they only allow 6kg. On my last trip (to Chamonix, 4 days), I checked in my skibag (which had clothes, dayboots, harness, shovel etc) and that came to 11kg. I had a few more clothes and camera in my carry on which was 5kg. Wore the ski-boots. So still had 12kg spare - nae problem!
latest report
fatbob wrote:
(with ski boots in hand luggage if necessary)

Only time I tried to take ski books in hand luggage I was turned back by security and had to go and check them in instead.
snow report
GrahamN,
Quote:

Remember that your hand luggage is additional - although they only allow 6kg. On my last trip (to Chamonix, 4 days), I checked in my skibag (which had clothes, dayboots, harness, shovel etc) and that came to 11kg. I had a few more clothes and camera in my carry on which was 5kg. Wore the ski-boots. So still had 12kg spare - nae problem!

You're a bloke....blokes don't do holiday "luggage" . And 6kg carry-on is miserable IMHO Laughing
snow report
FYI, I conveniently used my boot-bag (with boots) as carry-on to Geneva with no problems last season.
snow report
All this is opposed to the wonderful organization of KLM who charged me for taking my skis and boots over new year despite the fact that even with them I was under the weight limit and then promtley lost them whilst I spnet a delighfull 6 hours waiting in the airport for a delayed plane. Give me BA anyday.
ski holidays
RobW, Where was that ? Security can/should only turn you back for 'banned' items. Airline employees enforce their own rules.
ski holidays
snowbunny, ... and ladies should not need to move house everytime they go on holiday ... nor inspect their entire wardrobe .... Toofy Grin
latest report
I've flown both Swiss and BA and the rule as I see it is that the all hold baggage can't exceed 23kg (BA) or 20kg (Swiss). Swiss will assume a weight for the skis (normally about 7kg) rather than weight them so stuff the ski bag with clothes as well. BA sometimes weigh the skis and sometimes not.
ski holidays
23kg isn't really that much if you include everything - my skis in box weigh 9.5kg, my boots are 5kg - so that leaves about 9kg for my clothes and rucksac - one set of clothes all week then
latest report
k, carry your boots, and buy lighter clothes!
snow report
eEvans, at Geneva they wouldnt let me take a carabina as hand luggage as it was an 'offensive weapon' ! This is a lightweight object with no sharp edges by design !
latest report
eEvans wrote:
RobW, Where was that ? Security can/should only turn you back for 'banned' items. Airline employees enforce their own rules.

Birmingham. They said they are big and (relatively) heavy items that could be used as an offensive weapon.
ski holidays
RobW, Off their heads !! ,,, there is no weight limit for carry on baggage - although individual airlines obviously impose their own; I don't believe there are any guidelines to that effect for security staff ( unless BHX know better ????). There are guidelines and bans on much sporting equipment ( and ice skates, for example, are banned footwear) but banning all sporting footwear would take a lot of trainers off flights!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lampbus wrote:
eEvans, at Geneva they wouldnt let me take a carabina as hand luggage as it was an 'offensive weapon' ! This is a lightweight object with no sharp edges by design !

???? - 'Sporting Equipment' BUT ... rolling eyes
latest report
This cracks me up about airlines. They seem not to realise that, if I were 6'4" and 18 stone and I take a disliking to a steward/stewardess/pilot/anyone I fancy, it doesn't matter whether I'm holding a pencil sharpener or not, they're going down like a sack of sh*t.
snow conditions
RobW wrote:
eEvans wrote:

Birmingham. They said they are big and (relatively) heavy items that could be used as an offensive weapon.

Would these airports be serving airlines that will let you buy glass bottles containing a litre of (flammable) spirits? How difficult would it be to cudgel somebody with the full bottle, set them on fire with the contents, then glass them with a broken shard of glass?
latest report
i just contacted BA x phone and the nice guy there told that as my ski's are over 158 cm i will be charged at the standard excess rate, which to denver is £70 !!!!

is this right ???

2 pieces
Maximum dimensions per piece(H+W+L): 158cm (62in)
Maximum weight per piece: 32kg (70lbs)
snow conditions
Royal, that's right, if you don't book them in as skis.
snow report
This brings up one of my favourite gripes I have, particularly with flights to and in the USA. For example I weight 13 stones + luggage allowance of 22kgs I get moaned at if I go over that where as a lardy boy of 16+stone +20kg of luggage does not. But he has a combined weight well over me.

My thoughts are the person + baggage should be checked with an upper limit. This would also help all the ladies/kids as they tend to be lighter so you can take more clothes which they need.
Obviously there still needs to be a bag size and number limit because of the size of the plane’s hold.

Just my little airport rant
latest report
It seems reasonable to me that skis (and any other kit) are counted as part of the baggage allowance. Am I missing something?
ski holidays
as Fox says, if you book them in as skis then you;ll be fine.
snow report
Royal, Just say they are skis --- then no charge to USA
snow report
Flew back from Lyon on Saturday with skis - no charge, no problem. That's why I chose BA over easyjet.
snow report
Update. Organiser of daughters trip eventually managed to get excess waived for her group on way out. On return trip last Sunday from Oslo ski bags not weighed so no problem. Son flew out in a group same day to Oslo and again ski bags not weighed but he would have been over their weight limit about 28 kilo luggage. He only weighs 44 kilo.
I agree with Nick C's comments about lardy boys and girls (must not be sexist).
I have since heard from a BA employee that check- in get paid commission on excess baggage! It seems to be down to luck whether you get charged or not.
latest report
cheers for that...

BTW im 13 stone... will i have to go through the lardy terminal ?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy