Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Paradiski at Easter

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're looking for possible ski destinations in 2017 at Easter (school holidays). I like the look of Val Thorens, but as we fancy going by train, it adds the hassle and cost of a transfer (especially since we're not travelling at the weekends).

With that in mind, I'm now considering Les Arcs, since Bourg St Maurice is at the bottom of the hill. We did Tignes this Easter and found shopping to be a pocket emptying experience. Hopefully the supermarket in Bourg will be a bit cheaper?

Anyway, enough of my rambling. As Easter is fairly late next year, would the Paradiski area be fairly snow sure? Is it crowded at that time? How would it compare to the Espace Killy for Easter skiing?

All comments appreciated snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think I have skied at Les Arcs most Easters for the last 15 years and always had a good time. The snow depth has always been sufficient but getting heavy towards the end of the day. I have even skied there at the very last day of the season and had a good time but the runs down to 1600 were closed. Have a look at the webcams and even though it is now June there is still plenty of snow about. If the lifts were not closed you could ski in 2000 today.

Easter is rarely busy but with Catholic and Orthodox being the same weekend in 2017 it may be a little busier. I suspect it will be about the same across all the Tarrentaise resorts. Last Easter there were some big queues in places but mostly it was straight onto the lifts. We waited 2 minutes for one lift, which is pretty bad.

Comparing it to Tignes for Easter the extensive glacier is clearly a big attraction and clearly better, but the rest of the resort is just about the same.

The bus transfer from Moutiers to Val Thorens is really no harder and possibly easier than the funicular to Les Arcs.

The supermarkets in Bourg are a little cheeper than the little one in Arc 1600 (I haven't tried the Lidl) so instead of carrying a big rucksack on the funicular or even driving down we simply shop locally and pay a few euros extra. Intermarche and SuperU are a fair trek from the funicular station. I am more tempted by the greater variety offered in Bourg. Why do French supermarkets have brilliant fish counters but the ones in the UK are a really sad encounter. In other words we go to Bourg to buy St. Jaques, stewing steak and fresh veg rather than to save money. In fact we often end up spending more.

See you in Les Arcs at Easter.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just to echo @johnE, train to moutiers then short transfer to Val Thorens seems pretty straight forward.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Paradiski is very snowsure IME of going several times early and late season.

Shopping will be cheaper in Bourg than up the mountain.

The counter to the hassle of getting a transfer is not having to ride the funicular twice a day. You pays your money... Also, some prefer to be "in the mountains".

Wouldn't expect it to be busy.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you're thinking of staying in Bourg St M, as well as easy access to Les Arcs, it is possible to do day(s) in Espace Killy. There's are buses from outside BSM rail station up to Tignes and Val D'Isere.
With Easter being mid to late April in 2017 I'd be happier with that option, as the higher altitude of EK usually keeps snow in better condition. You could spend a couple of hours overall getting to/from EK by bus though.
I'd expect Val Thorens to be busier, although with likelihood of good snow. One downside of Val T is that to access large parts of the 3V area you need to get through the often slushy and busy Les Menuires and Meribel areas first.

Links to snowHead eye witness reports on snow, weather and queues etc in Les Arcs for the last 5 seasons pasted below.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=120076&start=840
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=112394&highlight=les+arcs+201415&start=1080
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=102352&highlight=les+arcs+2013+2014&start=520
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=91244&highlight=les+arcs+2012+2013&start=800
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=79067&start=1480
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you ever so much for your replies- they are all VERY helpful to me.

John/ Turnip- when you say bus transfers, is it simply a matter of getting on a regular bus, like you might do to get on the shops in England, or do they operate less regularly?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@faithsdaddy, It is a local bus service, you catch it at Moutiers station and it takes you to Val Thorens, stopping at St Martin and Moutiers on the way. It runs to a specific timetable, which is more frequent at the weekend. IIRC there are quite a few through the day and of course they are coordinated with the train service.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy