Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter skiing recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Have posted on the Tignes/Les Arcs thread but thought it might be easier to start my own.

We're a family of 4 looking to ski at Easter in France. We've previously skied in Austria and flew. This will be our first time self-driving it.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. Our requirements are:
Easter holidays
Some nice cruisey-blues for relaxed skiing
Some reds for a challenge
Places to stop for a pint/cup of tea throughout the day
Friendly ski school for DC (12/10 at time of travel but with birthdays approaching) with no more than 8 to a group
Good snow cover
10 or so hours from Calais (will stop over en route each way)
Would prefer accommodation to be walkable. Not a fan of a ski bus. Happy to walk up to 10 minutes in ski boots from accommodation to lift/ski school.
Doesn't have to be a massive ski area (we've only done tiny little Rauris, so anything will be bigger than that).

Most other things are up for negotiation. Happy to compromise on accommodation luxury. Doesn't need to be traditionally pretty. Bonus points for gondolas over terrifying chair lifts, but that's a personal thing I'll need to get over (I will use them, I just don't like them).

I've had both Les Arcs and Tignes recommended and Tignes seems to be winning that battle. But the other thread threw La Plagne into the mix.

I've been startled at the French ski school prices in my research. Double the Austrian prices and for less overall hours tuition (15 hours for the week instead of 20). Any independant ski schools that offer more competitive rates out there?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Owlette, I'll repeat my reccomendation for La Plagne. I haven't used a ski school for a number of years but based purely on the fact that a friend who I respect a lot worked for them I would reccomend evolution 2. Belle Plagne is probably the best accommodation or Plan Soleil but given that you are prepared to walk 10 minutes any of the other parts of the resort with the exception of 1800 will be OK. Just pay attention to the ski school meeting points. No doubt someone will now suggest St. Foy to add to the list as well.

10 hours driving will get you to any of the Tarrentaise resorts from Calais. We used to do it overnight which was the easy way when our son was young, but now tend to get a shutte at about 8:00 and get to the resort about 20:00 depending on traffic.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks!

We drive to France every summer and are fans of the early ferry out (memorably at 0430 in May this year but usually around 0700 as we did in August), so whilst it would be possible from a timings POV to do the drive in a day, Mr. Owlette does all the driving (because he's a control freak), so we'll need to stop somewhere en route for him to have a decent rest. We're coming from near Bath, so have a 3 hour drive just to Dover.

We've done the shuttle previously but prefer the ferry. Nice toilets, a chance to stretch our legs and get an overpriced drink.

We're actually looking at Easter 2024, which falls earlier (ES is the 31st March), but I'm researching now partly because it's fun and partly so that as soon as the deals are released, I can jump straight on it when what I'm looking for pops up and hopefully get a decent Earlybird deal. Though I'm secretly hoping to find such a good deal for Easter 2023 that Mr. Owlette can't resist it and we book that too as he's pretty spontaneous.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I did the end of season repping slot in Flaine several times and always found it to have exceptionally good snow at that time of year, even when other resorts around did not. Something of a microclimate, often getting big dumps of snow very late on.

Seems to tick the rest of your boxes as well, a hour or more closer than the Tarentaise resorts previously mentioned.

Ski school there has been mentioned in another thread recently . In the past the greens/blues (the ESI) always seemed better organised than the reds (ESF) and without the huge groups the latter sometimes get, but it's been a few years since I was there.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Owlette, we do Easter every year and been to Belle Plagne, Avoriaz, Val Thorens amongst others.

My personal fave is Val Thorens - completely snow sure, all ski in ski out, great choice of runs, the full range of ski schools (used both Oxygene and Prosneige) and it should be sit outside in the sun with a cold beer weather at Easter*

VT is especially a good choice if easter is more towards mid April. End of March obviously opens up a few more options

*weather not guaranteed....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Owlette wrote:
I can jump straight on it when what I'm looking for pops up and hopefully get a decent Earlybird deal.

But you are driving and going at Easter right... what sort of "deal" are you looking for? We ski at Easter. I book an apartment some time in Jan/Feb but I've known to book a week or so before, then tunnel crossing. We don't need it but ski hire and lessons could be booked fairly late. Ski passes same. What else is there? Just curious.

If mostly piste skiing early April is still fine in most of the good size ski areas.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Layne wrote:
Owlette wrote:
I can jump straight on it when what I'm looking for pops up and hopefully get a decent Earlybird deal.

But you are driving and going at Easter right... what sort of "deal" are you looking for? We ski at Easter. I book an apartment some time in Jan/Feb but I've known to book a week or so before, then tunnel crossing. We don't need it but ski hire and lessons could be booked fairly late. Ski passes same. What else is there? Just curious.

If mostly piste skiing early April is still fine in most of the good size ski areas.

We're looking at possibly using Sunweb, so hoping to find a good accommodation + passes deal on there. Happy to be told that prices don't really change though. Plus, like I say, I do enjoy researching and thinking about all things skiing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've read lots on here and another forum about large class sizes with ESF. Whilst they seem to be priced more in line with Austria, the thought of 30 children and 2 instructors on the mountain makes me uncomfortable, so we're definitely looking more at schools with around 8 to a group I have been shocked at the cost of ski school compared to Austria though.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Owlette wrote:
We're looking at possibly using Sunweb, so hoping to find a good accommodation + passes deal on there. Happy to be told that prices don't really change though.

Some say they are cheaper. Haven't found that myself. I'm not sure if there prices vary much over time. If they follow the old chalet holiday model (not sure they do) then yeah early birds might come into play. Being cheap in general though there is only so much they can do given they really have two components to work with.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Owlette, there's generally lots of choices of ski school with smaller classes (8 or less). We've used Evo 2, Oxygene and Prosneige, Evo all do the smaller classes.

Prices jumped up significantly last year - trying to recoup covid losses I assume.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Owlette, I've booked with Sunweb for Easter, staying in Chamrousse. Seems to tick quite a few of your boxes, especially regarding the blues/reds, ski in/out etc. I've also been there before, and feel it's a decent choice to minimise the chance of the kids getting lost... Eh oh!

My 2 are a little older - 16 & 17 when we go, and Mrs SHAP isn't coming this time, sadly, so rather than drive in one go, I've booked a place in Beaune for the Friday night.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh, and to add to the above, it was cheap as chips too, so maybe Mr @Owlette, won't be able to resist..
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy