Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon MAX 120 Help please??

Poster: A snowHead
I've always rented skis and boots, but have vowed to get my own (especially after a couple of years of disastrous ones.)
I have been in to Snow and Rock and the most comfortable were the Salomon Max 120's. Fitted really well, felt really secure as have narrow feet and skinny ankles (as attractive as they sound!) The only thing that is making me worry is the stiffness and them being geared towards 'expert skiers.' I've skied once a year for about 12 years now so would think I'm competent and to be honest in store the 100s only felt marginally looser when I bent. After 10 minutes of wearing the 120s they seemed to loosen a little anyways. I ski on piste and like to carve fast, with quick turns and prefer to ski fast on reds than icy blacks (St Anton you nearly killed me this year!) I like to bend and give it a bit of welly, so to speak. The 120s should be fine right?? I don't want to oversell myself.... but at £170 they seem a pretty good buy and I want to keep them for a few years. Any help would be greatly appreciated... Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@CEM, any thoughts at all? You seem to be the man to ask on here...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@bowesyboy, the skill here is in the boot fitter putting you in the right boot based on your foot.

Can you tell us about the process you went through in the shop?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks @Kamikaze Pete, We tried the boot on with and without the liner and then he measured the fit in ski position, further back and also to one side. They felt snug and secure all the way from the foot and up into the ankle and calf (usually with rentals, my ankles don't feel secure, so I have to tighten everything to the extreme to feel safe. So tight toes, loose ankle and tight calf. This boot felt secure all the way through) For some reason the 100s felt like a lower boot and not much difference in the bend when tested for the flex. Am I right to worry about the ability level attributed to the boot? I have heard that the Salomon 120s are a little softer than others anyways...
@Kamikaze Pete,
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If I were CEM I'd be a little more inclined to help if it wasn't so obvious that you are planning to buy from one of his competitors rather than him rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wouldn't it have been a little nicer to just politely point this out @Arno, rather than jump in with the catty comment? Especially seeing as it's the person's first post so probably doesn't have a clue who is who ...? Guess there's nothing like a swipe to feel you've been initiated into a forum eh?!?
Apologies @CEM, when I realised you had a shop I left you a voicemail saying I'd be happy to come in.
Peace Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@bowesyboy, in fairness, you had worked out that CEM was one of the go to guys on here re fitting...

Because clearly he's an imsurance loss adjustor with dark night-time dreams of boot fitting?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is this how this works? I don't really see the point in people just chipping in berating. I apologised to said person. Can we not get a grip and move on and maybe, just maybe, contribute something constructive???
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@bowesyboy, if they fit well and you ski reasonably aggressively/quickly/competently and you are not particularly small /light they are unlikely to be too stiff. Could be a good choice but a bit of a gamble without getting some proper advice in person from decent boot fitter.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Uhhh, Wot?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bowesyboy wrote:

... but at £170 they seem a pretty good buy and I want to keep them for a few years. Any help would be greatly appreciated... Very Happy

Yup seem a good price as Profeet are having a sale and SALOMON X MAX 120, MEN’S ALPINE BOOT are listed as £324!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've got X Max 120s from couple of seasons ago. Just did my forth week in them and finally loving them. They are stiff. Cold weather stiffens them up. The first week away was tough. I learnt that they always prefer to be skiing, they don't like it when you stop or pootle around blues. I've changed my socks to just a very thin liner (race) sock and that has made a huge difference too.

I've also learnt the benefit of removing the liner overnight to make sure it and the shell dry out.

Great price btw!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think I've got a pair of them, white and green and black.
They are the best fitting boots I've every had ...
Sorry ,,, I should say the most comfortable boots I've ever had.
I know one of them is a bit loose, but I don't care.
I've had so many good boots which were not good for me.

But only you can tell ... you'll have to wear them.
Don't think about the price, that means don't buy them just because they are a bargain.
I've made that mistake.

Good luck.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DrLawn wrote:
I
Don't think about the price, that means don't buy them just because they are a bargain.

Good luck.

Exactly right, only buy them if they are the right colour.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ster, Sadly I dont like the colour of my boots, but they fit right so the colour is a non issue Very Happy
ski holidays
Thanks for all the help! Appreciate it Smile

The boots seemed to fit well and was thinking something a little stiffer may help as I have loose ankles and tend to push forward probably a little too much when wanting to get some speed.

I was told that a pair off the shelf would fit well (they did feel really secure) but with a 27.5 for a uk 8/8.5 doesn't seem to be going down a few sizes as people have suggested on other posts re the Salomon boots....
snow conditions
bowesyboy wrote:
.... a 27.5 for a uk 8/8.5....

They're too big!
ski holidays
Off the Shelf ???
Aren't they a pair of boots that have to be "cooked to fit" ?

@Kamikaze Pete of course the colour matters !!!
Red ones are the fastest
@ster My favourite boots were yellow ... just a shame they did not fit.

Grey boots were the worst for me, they gave me pins & needles in my feet.
It only lasted three months .... but they were a bargain at £225 ....
But that was not a bargain at all was it?[/b]
latest report
@bowesyboy, 27.5 is waaay too big for a UK 8/8.5. I wear 8.5 shoes and ski an XPro 120 in a 25.5. If my feet were narrower I would have bought the XMax in a 25.5 - they both fit long. The guy in S&R has done a shell check but I'd have severe doubts that he's done it correctly. I think they're pretty soft for a 120 flex, definitely softer than my previous 120 flex Salomon boots.

Your level of experience is probably more orientated to a 100 flex than a 120 but it also depends what height/weight you are (affects the leverage) and what speed you ski at (G force). If you're intending to grow into them then the 120 may be ok but if it's too stiff for your ability it will hold you back in bumps, short turns and off piste development. No offence but at 1 week a year you're not going to develop much anyway so you should buy for your current ability level plus a bit. Most rental boots are around an 80 flex so 100 is a decent step up but if you think the 120 is good deal, well...

The price is cheap enough for a gamble but I would triple check your size. If you've only ever been in rental boots I doubt that you have any idea just how tight a well fitted boot really is. And get footbeds!
snow conditions
Thanks so much @Raceplate, think you've confirmed my initial concerns really and no offence taken at all !! When I put my foot in the 27.5 shell it was really big, but then felt 'nice' when as a complete shoe (nice is the best way I can describe it.) As you have quite rightly put, I have only had rental boots so have little idea how a correctly fitted boot should feel. This trip to St Anton I had awful rentals, loose around the ankle but pushing at the front (think they were QUEST 110's but not 100% on that.)

I'm also around the 65kg mark and 5'9 so maybe you're right about looking at the 100 flex too...Thanks.

When you think about everything it's tempting to think 'does it really bloody matter??" but I guess if I can it's worth spending an extra £100 or so and get it right....
ski holidays
@bowesyboy, that 'nice' feeling in a 27.5 will turn to slop within a week of actual skiing. They're too big, probably 2 sizes too big. For your height/weight/experience I think 100 flex is more suitable BUT check what moving the screw on the spine does - does it make the boot softer or stiffer? If stiffer, buy the 100, if softer, the 120 is not so bad but use them on the softer setting to start with.
snow report
This will be helpful.
http://www.epicski.com/a/boot-fitting-which-boot-will-work-for-me
ski holidays
@bowesyboy, New boots are never going to 'feel nice' out of the box. Expect a few days of minor discomfort initially as the liner packs out. Comfort out the box is a sure sign that they're too big.
latest report
I've got Head Vector 125s in a 28.5 and I'm a UK 10 or 11 (depending on make or type of footwear). I also weigh 100kg and 184cm tall. The difference between the flex when I'm in the house or the boots have been on the dryers in the hotel ski room and then when out in the snow is significant. I previously had a pair of Head AdaptEdge 90s that were initially very comfy but once the liner packed out a bit and got warm, they became like wellies. I suspect that if I put a bit of effort in to it I could have extracted myself from them without undoing the buckles. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

You really need to try different types and flex to see what you are comfortable with. I made the mistake of buying the AdaptEdge 90s as they were comfy and I got a very good deal on them. I used them for 2 and bit seasons and now they are gathering dust in my shed.
snow report
@bowesyboy, boots are likely the most important bit of ski kit you'll own...getting them right makes an enormous difference. Even for one week a year.
latest report
Thanks everyone for the advice ... seems it really does pay to do your research and see a decent boot fitter!! Spoke with CEM and as I'm not off until next season now, will try and head in to him for a fitting.... I did look at the Lange RX 100 (LV), but then without wanting to drive myself (and everyone else crazy) thought it better to get some proper advice and start again in a few months time.
Thanks again y'all
Very Happy
snow report
@bowesyboy, oh and don't get too hung up on numbers and manufacturers descriptions - e.g. anything described as for "experts" in the UK would be hooted at in derision in the Alps.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 13-04-16 17:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@bowesyboy, Its really not worth looking a boot now until you meet your fitter. Any good fitter will sit you down with a cuppa first and discuss your requirements, any issues and determine what sort of skier you are. They'll then do a bunch of analysis looking at your feet, stance and how you align. Only then will they present you with a selection of boots that are suitable for you and then get on with the fitting and any necessary stretching\grinding and shaping. I'm that your fitter will advise footbeds and I think that most SH's would agree. Make sure you take the socks you intend to ski in with you and make sure you cut your toe nails!

You're likely to pick up a nice discount on a 2015 boot if you shop between now and Sept\Oct.

Rich
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

You're likely to pick up a nice discount on a 2015 boot if you shop between now and Sept\Oct.

If they have them in stock in your size...
latest report
@under a new name, that goes without saying Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy