Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Praz De Lys - What's It Like ?

Poster: A snowHead
I have seen numerous posts referring to Praz De Lys, which looks very appealing.

Can snowheads elaborate on the town, how big is the village ? My only comparison point would be Les Gets (only place I've been, so far) !!!

Immediate Ski area ?
Is most accommodation in walking distance to lifts ?
Is there many bars and restaurants?
Would it be as busy half term as les gets / morzine ? (I think I know the answer)
Ski schools for kids ?

Thanks all
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We only drive there on a few occasions during the season from Les Gets, generelly to find somewhere quieter, so I am not sure how the accommodation in relation to the lifts stacks up, but my OH has just said that maybe wherever you are there is a lift not far away. We think it looks great for kids. Pretty French as we hear very few English voices when we have been there.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The "village" is on a large plateau so some of the accommodation can be remote but there is a central street where you find most apartments and it is pretty much ski in/ski out. Here's a picture I took of the village which gives you an idea of layout.

Ski area is extensive. There are good snow shoe and cross country skiing possibilities.

Yes lots of bars and restaurants but variable quality. Some living off past glories like Jean la Pipe (still probably a "must do" for any visitor).

Busy? I used to ski a lot at Sommand and the area tends to get overlooked by the Bourgoise Geneva crowd - not close enough for easy access like les Brasses and not chic enough for the loaded who head to Avoriaz or Flaine. We never had any real problem on the lifts. It is a really nice area in general. Not ueber gnarly (unless you climb) but pleasant family skiing.

No idea about ski schools.

It is worth lunching over on the Sommand side as there are some good on piste restaurants - or at least were a few years ago. It is sunnier.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 16-09-15 17:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
not sure I can add kuch although I don't recall "lots" of bars and restaurants, not compared to Chamonix or Morzine f'rinstance. but how many do you need in a week? 1 good one?

you will probably not hear another anglophone, so it'll certainly be a very French experience.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Last year we had lunch at Jean de la Pipe a couple of times and also at a place right on the snow called, I think, LA Grande Ourse, where we stop for a drink or coffee, and a bit of a snack lunch. But it was brilliant when we went there towards the end of the season with a big decked area so we were able to set up camp with our two little granddaughters most if the day and we got the two year old very happy in her small skis and generally pottering around. It's all very low key
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice picture @davidof,

What I meant by lots of bars / restaurants is that there is more than 2 or 3 (So not limited).

I'm happy with the town being full of locals not British!! (Especially during half term).

I don't see any tour operators going here, so i presume accommodation would be through the usual outlets- their website, homeaway- booking.com ?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DaiSki wrote:
Nice picture @davidof,

What I meant by lots of bars / restaurants is that there is more than 2 or 3 (So not limited). I can/t recall.

I'm happy with the town being full of locals not British!! (Especially during half term).

I don't see any tour operators going here, so i presume accommodation would be through the usual outlets- their website, homeaway- booking.com ?
yep
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is Praz de Lys linked to Sommand please? Is there enough skiing for a day in either place or would you need to do both? We are all ok skiers (can do any reds) on piste. We drove to both places for day hikes this summer and want to go back for a days skiing over half term as a change from Grand Massif. We did PDS last year and it was rammed at half term so we wondered if P de L Sommand might be a bit quieter.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Minnie, we tend to do both when we go there, I think the pass covers both. We attempted to go there earlier in the week but were turned back at the bridge as the road was closed, gendarme posted there to inform. So we tried again this morning, but there is a notice at the bottom saying the road is open, with alternate traffic etc, 7.30 to 9.30 a.m and 5.30 to 8 pm My OH wanted to find out what it was all about so we drove on till we came to the guy directing the traffic and he confirmed that the road would indeed be closed from 9.30 to 5.30 and round the bend we could see that there had been a large rockfall so they must be sorting that out. In the pre-puppy days we would have carried on at it was just 9.15 and sat around at the end of the day having a beer but we turned round... we will get there eventually as we have bought season passes for this year.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Minnie, they have a website. Not many people round here will have skied there. I don't think it's on any tour operators' maps.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks! Will check website nearer the time and hopefully rockfalls will be sorted by half term.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Minnie, I am sure they will. We did sit having a couple of drinks in the Boomerang in Les Gets early evening thinking we could just have left Praz.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've run an Alpine KIMM there (we came 3rd) but never skied there. Looks a pleasant enough place ideal for beginners and families.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ski'd there 3 times as it's a great resort for the kids to learn, nice easy greens right in the village in PDL, extending to forest blues and an interconnecting series of lifts take you to Sommand, although there are a few easy reds and a couple of blacks on the PDL side of the mountain. Easy access to Sommand from either of the two main chairlifts although the Haut Fleury lift is the one to use to access the more interesting black and red runs.

Loads of accommodation in the village, I have booked with these guys http://www.hautesavoie-immobilier.com/ and will be staying in the Florian, which is above the tourist office, across the road from the ski school and all ski hire, a 50 yard walk to the lift. It is also above Le Grizzly restaurant and bar, both very good. On the PDL side of the mountain a lovely couple of outdoor snack restaurants but La Dahu is our favourite for easy pizza/burgers with the kids. Jean de la Pipe is a must try for evening meals (STEAKS!!), Le Grizzly does some wonderful Savoyard favourites and Le Farto does some good steaks too.

Not too many 'Huttes' on the mountain but everything is so close together it doesn't really matter, I do stop in Le Yam for a Brandy Hot Chocolate on the way back from Sommand.

The resort wouldn't work for a weeks stay for a group of lads/girls wanting extensive skiing but for a young family or 2/3 days for a group it is a great and cheap stay,also within 25 minutes of the telecabine in Morzine.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the place for a lovely quaint french village with typical gallic hospitality.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hello @paul10rc, is the town big enough for a family of 4 for 1 week ?

Have you experienced it during school holidays ?

Thanks
ski holidays
We have just been walking up in Praz de Lys this morning. The road up to Praz is again completely closed for repairs following the big rock fall last season so access via Mieussy and Sommand.

A large reservoir has been created quite close to the Col de Ramaz and the road re-routed a bit. There are big diggers everywhere up there with pipes and trenches so it looks as if there will be masses more snow makers installed before next winter.
snow report
I've skied PdL for the last 4 seasons, it's very French (i.e. few Brits, not a lot of English spoken, great place to practice your French). Enthusiastic about cross country skiing, snow shoeing and the opportunity to try dog sledding. But a bit small, few bars and restaurants (plus points in my book!). Much cheaper than Les Gets or Samoens which are 15-20 mins drive away. Day pass was about 25 Euros last season compared to about 45 at Samoens. We tend to drive and stay in Taninges and take trips out to Morillon, Samoens, Les Gets, Morzine etc depending on how we feel as they are all within 20mins, and Taninges is much cheaper to stay in than at a resort. The skiing is fairly easy for a competent skier who could ski the whole resort quite easily in a day or two (including the linked resort of Sommand) that said it's enjoyable skiing and Let Yam is definitely worth a visit (note, no toilets!) if only to see the photos of the rock stars who visit (seriously Very Happy ). You may get bored by the end of a week if you don't have transport, but I'm sure you would enjoy it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy