Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are my Scott Black Majic's suitable?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Without much consideration I recently bought myself a pair of Scott Black Majic skis in 177 - well they were on sale and I liked the colour Happy

Had great fun on them last week, charging down reds and blacks mostly carving smooth pistes and softer moguls, but on narrow tracks and particularly at slower speed I found them a little unwieldy.

I'm tall but pretty light at 184cm and 71kg and wondering if maybe I've ended up on something stiffer than ideal? As far as level goes, I'd like to think I ski like a 7-8-9 on the InsideOut scale when things are going well, but last week felt more like a 5 on some narrow rutted tracks.

Had 4 days ski school last week, but Austrian instructor did not seem to want to engage in any discussions regarding choice of ski.

Anybody know much about the Black Majics?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
While you wait for someone who has actually skied them, I will try to give a summary based on what I've read.

These are the piste version of "The Ski", with a very forgiving, playful, nature and a fairly substantial early rise tip.

They are not hard charging, aggressive piste skis, with massive edge grip and energy, favoring a more subtle, laid back style, requiring finesse...though probably easier to handle in soft snow and bumps....SCGB found them slow from edge to edge in short turns, compared to their peers.

IMO. What ever else is happening, I don't think they are too much ski for you. It's quite possible that you are more used to a piste ski with less Rocker and a quicker feel under foot.

My hunch is that while this 3D construction may be a good idea for a 50/50 ski like "The Ski", it is less suitable for a piste ski ie. Not wide enough to take it Off Piste and too easy going for On Piste, since a lot of its competition gives a more stable, exciting ride, with better grip on ice.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 29-03-16 19:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Assuming adequately good tune, at the risk of sounding like some other curmudgeons on here, lack of liveliness and lack of edge grip is almost invariably a question of operator technique than anything else...

Just saying...

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 29-03-16 19:47; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry - Duplicate
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm also around level 8 on the insideout scale, but feel bloody useless on narrow rutted tracks. I was following an instructor along some today and he was nimbly winding his way down, somehow managing to control his speed and jump the odd bump. We had about the same length skis on (180cm ish), both 100mm ish underfoot, so I think its all about technique.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Themasterpiece wrote:
I'm also around level 8 on the insideout scale, but feel bloody useless on narrow rutted tracks. I was following an instructor along some today and he was nimbly winding his way down, somehow managing to control his speed and jump the odd bump. We had about the same length skis on (180cm ish), both 100mm ish underfoot, so I think its all about technique.

On the other hand, if you'd been on some 163 Head i Supershape Magnums, things would likely have been very different (for that scenario, anyway).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you all for your responses. There is no doubt that lack of operator ability is at the heart of the problem, but that's something I can work on - at least nobody says I've ended up with completely unsuitable skis!

For info my previous skis were Scott Aztec 176's and my recollection from last year is I experienced less difference in my apparent ability between fast on slow on them - i.e. I was consistently level 7 on both open pistes and narrow tracks.

Still got the Aztecs (but no bindings) and tried flexing them at home and would say the Black Majic's feel about twice as stiff which seemed pretty significant.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy