Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer skiing in the Alps - which glaciers remain open in July and August?

Poster: A snowHead
I know of Zermatt, Saas Fee, Hintertux and Deux Alpes but think there are a handful more, including one near Bormio.
Anyone know?
Also, wonder what condition they're in this year.
From memory we generally had a very warm March but a pretty cold and snowy April.
Thanks.
NN
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cervinia (that'll be the same one as Zermatt...), Passo Tonale, Tignes....I understand that generally speaking, the conditions are better earlier in the year (about now), but deteriorate throughout the summer (yes, I know you can get a dump of snow what makes things better...)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tignes not open all summer, looks like 24/06 to 06/08
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, forgot to mention that!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kaprun on the Kitzsteinhorn glacier until July 23rd according to the web site

Dachstein glacier In Austria - opening times seem a bit vague

I'm off to Tignes for a week on Saturday will report on my return
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Neil Neige wrote:
I know of Zermatt, Saas Fee, Hintertux and Deux Alpes but think there are a handful more, including one near Bormio.
Anyone know?
From memory we generally had a very warm March but a pretty cold and snowy April.
Thanks.
NN

Snowy and cold April would be over egging the pudding a bit.

All I can say is the French ski team are training, on their bikes, because they thought Tignes was too ropey at the moment.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was in Tignes on sunday 25th and it was not good even at 8 am
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Having done summer glacier skiing - and enjoyed some good conditions (and some ropey ones) in both Tignes and Les2Alpes in the past I suspect the days of summer glacier skiing might be drawing to a close. It was a shock having the ski instructor in Tignes point out how far the glacier had retreated since he had started working in the resort.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
I suspect the days of summer glacier skiing might be drawing to a close.

If the last few seasons are anything to go by the days of French skiing at any time of year are drawing to a close.

As the Savoyards say "femme anglaise vend apartment, hiver sera chaud"
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Saas Fee was fantastic last august...nippers will be there again this aug for weeks training camp, I'm kind of presuming it'll be good...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@coddlesangers, good luck with that. I've been to Hintertux a couple of times in August and early October ( about 20 years ago ), and both times came away asking myself why I had bothered. Hintertux is definitely the best of the Austrian glaciers ( in summer ), but unless it has dumped the day before I would rather spend my time doing something else.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brock wrote:

What was not good about it?

The reason I ask is I'm out there this Saturday for a week
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fish_Head wrote:
brock wrote:

I'm not there but it was well above freezing all last week, even overnight. The forecast is colder for the next few days.

You can report back on Saturday.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
If the last few seasons are anything to go by the days of French skiing at any time of year are drawing to a close.
LOL!! Laughing...After the usual snowsure trips to Tignes/Espace K in December, March and May wink

"Garcon?! More fresh tracks to Val Claret in May s'il vous plait!" Very Happy

In late July and early August we've seen the glacier looking shocking - but then found the skiing to be rather enjoyable.

Ditto a trip to Hintertux in the first week of Sept last year - the glacier was heavily crevassed and was like a quarry in parts - but the snow on the runs was really pretty good. Again, we really enjoyed ourselves and were glad we'd made the effort.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rjs wrote:
Fish_Head wrote:
brock wrote:

I'm not there but it was well above freezing all last week, even overnight. The forecast is colder for the next few days.

You can report back on Saturday.

@rjs, what is your point?, I asked brock why he said it it was not good, you arent there and we arrive saturday, so wont be "reporting" anything

are you saying you were there last week?
latest report
@Fish_Head, My point is that people who have skied on glaciers a lot could have predicted that conditions last week would have been bad just by looking at the weather reports.

Next week looks better.
latest report
Stelvio?
ski holidays
I've got the chance to get away next week.
4th of July.
I've never been summer skiing and fear that it's sadly coming to an end. So I'd like to ad my carbon footprint to the mix and go.
I'm going on my own and don't mind where, within Europe. Any suggestions and does anybody fancy meeting up
snow conditions
Looks like Hintertux had some fresh snow yesterday: https://www.facebook.com/Hintertux.Glacier/photos/a.376403747934.155579.270948112934/10155083180627935/?type=3
ski holidays
Quote:

@rjs, what is your point?, I asked brock why he said it it was not good, you arent there and we arrive saturday, so wont be "reporting" anything

are you saying you were there last week?

You don't need to be there to read a weather report. He's given you some useful information

You said you're there Saturday, it's not unreasonable of him to suggest you might be able to speak about conditions here on SH
latest report
Are there hire shops open at the glacier lift stations? We're in Austria in the summer for a couple of weeks and we'll have Jnr's ski kit with us, but we're not going take our skis and boots with us (the van will be full of bikes). We might if we're looking for something to do one day take ourselves to a glacier. We won't be far away from Dachstein or Kitzsteinhorn while we're away and could probably stop at Hintertux on the way home.
ski holidays
@hammerite, I don't remember Kitzsteinhorn having anything at the base but a bar, I could be wrong though

Maybe there's a hire shop at the top of the lift?
latest report
Looks like there's an Intersport inside

https://www.intersportrent.at/skirent-kaprun/intersport-bruendl_12567.html
latest report
@hammerite, hintertux has a shop at the base and also at the Tuxer Fernerhaus hut. Same company I think. Decent equipment.
ski holidays
Thanks both.
snow report
France had a hot and unsnowy Winter during Oct to Apr...
France was scorching in June..
It has not snowed in the French Alps since May...

The last three French Summer glaciers -- Les 2 Alpes, Tignes and Val d'Isere -- are going to get battered again this year and are probably not going to survive for skiing much beyond 2020.

Catch them while you can.
snow conditions
Neil Neige wrote:
Anyone know?
Thanks.
NN

* Austria = Hintertux, Kaprun, Molltal, Stubai, Pitztal, Soelden, Dachstein.
* France = Tignes, Val d'Isere, Les Deux Alpes.
* Germany = No Summer skiing left.
* Italy = Cervinia, Passo del Tonale, Val Senales, Passo Stelvio, Presena (Adamello).
* Norway = Stryn, Fonna, Sognefjellet.
* Switzerland = Zermatt, Saas Fee.

Zermatt and Hintertux are the only two left in the European Alps that open ~365 days a year (there used to be >10).

Some bigger and higher stations open in Summer if they have exceptional snow years, like La Plagne, St Moritz or Gstaad, but it is very rare.

There is also Summer skiing in the US, Canada, Iceland, and the Southern Hemisphere.
ski holidays
@Whitegold, it's winter in the S Hemisphere.

Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold wrote:

It has not snowed in the French Alps since May...

Depends where you are. Weathercam was reporting snow above 2,500m the other day, he's not far from L2A.
snow conditions
Thanks for all these responses.
Would be handy to have one website showing all the summer glacier ski areas, opening times/conditions etc.
It's been a pretty hot summer in the UK (and was a v warm mid March to mid April) which normally correlates approximately to Alpine conditions so wouldn't be surprised if they're taking a hammering...
snow report
@Neil Neige, It would be a handy thing if each stations' own website displayed its WINTER opening and closing dates let alone anything else.
snow conditions
http://www.skiresort.info/snow-reports/seasonend/europe/
snow conditions
http://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/gletscher/
http://www.bergfex.com/schweiz/gletscher/
http://www.bergfex.com/frankreich/gletscher/
etc.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy