Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tried snowboarding and can't stand up on my own should I try skiing instead?

Poster: A snowHead
So I tried snowboarding and got a two day personal instruction and he pretty much had to pick me up every time I fell (constantly) he was skiing while I was snowboarding and I just can't pick myself up. Would skiing be easier to do in this respect or should I just get a snowmobile? Haha
I have tried working out my legs for a year and it wasn't to any avail. I am pear shaped / 24/ female and think I might be a screwed snowboarer! Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Be patient! Puzzled

Why did the instructor not board? That I find strange.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If Logan was being constantly picked up then possibly the instructor was glad/chose to be on skis for that very reason ....

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 16-03-16 9:28; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Persevere...I am new to boarding after skiing for several years. I can just about get up from my heel edge but after doing this a couple of times I am exhausted!

Find it easier to flip the board over and get up on my toe edge.

I too find it odd your instructor was on skis...where was this and with who??
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can you not get up from your knees. Getting up from heelside can be tricky for a beginner as there is a long way to move centre of gravity with little leverage on a potentially slipping edge.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you can't get up onto your toe edge you should take up tiddlywinks rather than skiing. One of the things I liked about snowboarding was how easy it was to get up. On the flat, on skis, I struggle like a beached whale.

It sounds as though your instructor was hopeless. Bizarre.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Your teacher should not have been on skis.
It is not strange, it is nothing but poor teaching which has probably resulted in you not being able to stand.

Did your teacher adjust your stance (binding angles) probably not.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Was the person teaching you a friend? Either get a proper instructor or change your instructor!

Teaching someone to snowboard whilst your on skis is just ridiculous. Thats like teaching you to drive a car whilst they`re riding a bike.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Get up on your toe edge , facing up the mountain , Your instructor shouldve definately been on a board . He wouldve helped you turn onto your heel comfortable edge facing down if you cant turn yet .. He shouldve had you practising falling leaves on both edges ( no turns involved ) weird that he was on skis ...
Boardings tough to learn and so much more physically demanding when you are learning because youre constantly up on your feet then down on the floor ...
Persevere its worth it , it took me more than 3 holidays to feel like i was getting anywhere !

Fitness , squats planks sit ups step ups on a chair all help , core strength is key
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can you get up at home on a carpet? Put your board on, then bend knees, put hands on ground, then knees. Board will be on the toe edge. Kneel up. Then put hands down again, straighten your legs a bit, walk hands towards feet. Stand up. Repeat. Has your "instructor" ever snowboarded? You can practice heel edge too, though that's harder. Easier on a steeper slope (as is getting up on skis). Stick a think cushion under your bum to start with.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
1. Your instructor should have been on a board - that would have have been the only way for them to demonstrate correct movements, and you copy them (including getting up). This can't be done with him/her on skis.

2. If you are just learning, why not give skiing a try anyway? Then you can decide what you want to pursue based on your own personal enjoyment, and not any other factors. But make sure you give both a fair go - i.e. a proper instructor for each!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Logan, Unless you are absolutely comitted to snowboarding then I'd suggest you give skiing a try. Many of us on this forum tend to side very stroingly with one discipline oir another so we tend to be biased (me included), but I'd suggest you give skiing a try for two (hopefully unbiased) reasons:
1. You've tried boarding and didn't get on with it.
2. AFAIK snowboarders spend a lot more time on their bums and have to get up much more often than skiers. We only have to get back up when we fall over.

Life's too short and holidays too precious. See the light and try skiing Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
She wants to snowboard !
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thats why she chose to do it , if she d wanted to ski she d have chose that ... 2 days is nowhere near enough time to choose and her enthusiasm will be dented by a rubbish instructor , a good one would have had her linking turns by the end of the week
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@foxtrotzulu, ur ending up my nemesis Very Happy
ski holidays
I'm not biased, I've learnt both and there's no doubt that getting up onto the toe edge of a board is hugely easier than getting up on skis on flat or flattish terrain, which is where a beginner is going to be.
latest report
[quote="Logan" I am pear shaped / 24/ female and think I might be a screwed snowboarer! Thanks[/quote]

You may have accidently come to the right place

Not all snowboarders are snowborers, but you picked that up quick.
ski holidays
HOW can a person on skis effectively teach a new snowboarder how to snowboard? How are they going to demonstrate technique? @Logan, you've had a crappy introduction to the sport, in fact I'd say you've not actually had a lesson yet... So don't give up, choose an school which specializes in snowboard instruction over the generics and you'll soon have your 'click' moment. Oh, and above all, ignore @foxtrotzulu.
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
. Oh, and above all, ignore @foxtrotzulu.

Sage advice.
ski holidays
@Markab1971,
Quote:

She wants to snowboard !
The question is how much she wants to snowboard. She was the one who raised the question of switching to skis. All she said was "So I tried snowboarding....". She didn't say "All my life I've yearned to snowboard and have no desire to ski".

Quote:
Her enthusiasm will be dented by a rubbish instructor , a good one would have had her linking turns by the end of the week
As she has only done two days we don't know that the instructor wouldn't have had her doing that anyway.

Obviously, a new snowboarder is an extremely rare and precious commodity and you can ill afford to lose a single one, but it is possible that skiing may, just may, be a better way forward for Logan. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Don't worry - I do love snowboarders really - Without them we'd have to laugh at ourselves!
latest report
It looks like Logans Run.
snow report
[/quote] As she has only done two days we don't know that the instructor wouldn't have had her doing that anyway.

Because he was on skis !,
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@Markab1971,
Quote:

She wants to snowboard !
The question is how much she wants to snowboard. She was the one who raised the question of switching to skis. All she said was "So I tried snowboarding....". She didn't say "All my life I've yearned to snowboard and have no desire to ski".

Quote:
Her enthusiasm will be dented by a rubbish instructor , a good one would have had her linking turns by the end of the week
As she has only done two days we don't know that the instructor wouldn't have had her doing that anyway.

Obviously, a new snowboarder is an extremely rare and precious commodity and you can ill afford to lose a single one, but it is possible that skiing may, just may, be a better way forward for Logan. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Don't worry - I do love snowboarders really - Without them we'd have to laugh at ourselves!

Dito without skiers having yard sales and generally being a bit poo-poo who would we have to laugh at?? Toofy Grin
snow report
Unwarranted criticism . Deleted.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 17-03-16 0:50; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Agree with many points in this thread. Having snowboard lessons from an instructor on skis seems very odd. And getting up on a board is definitely easier than on skis! However, a total beginner will probably fall over less on skis. As someone who, this time four years ago, had never tried skiing or snowboarding, I can remember my first lessons very clearly. I did a day 'learn to board' initially, and was completely, utterly rubbish (I know it was only a day, but I was a LOT worse than the others in the group) - kind of enjoyed it, but was dispirited at my poor progress, and to be honest, was a bit fed up of falling over all the time. I decided to try a 'learn to ski' day before having any more boarding lessons - partly because I had seen the beginner skiers in their lesson who didn't seem to be falling over constantly like I was! - and had a brilliant day. Things just seemed to click, loved it straight away, and only fell over once, from what I remember. I definitely liked reaching the stage of being able to do nice controlled turns down an easy run relatively soon.

It's all down to personal preference, of course, and how much you want to persevere - I'm sure some would say I didn't give boarding enough of a chance, but I enjoyed that first day of skiing so much that I couldn't wait to progress with it, and the addiction is still going strong.

To the OP: I would try boarding again, with a different instructor, but also consider a couple of ski lessons - see how you get on, and which you prefer!
latest report
Hi Logan, I have been skiing since 1985, and boarding since 1997.
It is very frustrating for the first few days, especially if you can already ski.
In addition to the advice above:
1 ) Relax
2 ) Smile
3 ) It will normally click on about day 4, so that is after 20 hours or so.
4 ) If you can find a learning buddy or buddies the falling over will be way more fun - "billy learns boarding" can be an emotionally challenging place.
5 ) Laugh
6 ) All boarders have their own style, at the moment yours is supine Smile
7 ) Motivate yourself with the knowledge that after 6 days boarding you will be able to cope with slopes that it takes skiers weeks to go down, and your progression will be really fast.
8 ) Learning to snowboard is a journey not a destination.
9 ) To see the light, sometimes you need to start the journey in a dark place.
10) Refreshment is very important ( I avoid the term hydration, as not all forms of refreshment hydrate equally ). Smile
ski holidays
Deleted.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 17-03-16 7:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Op,
You've wasted two days on the slopes.
Take proper lessons for a few days from a snowboarding instructor and then decide if you've had enough.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've done three lots of two days learning (well, half days) to snowboard. I haven't ever mastered being able to get up on the snowboard whilst facing downhill. I always have to turn over and face up hill, then get up on the toe edge, turn round to face the same way as everyone else in the class (for the two mornings I did class!).

Apparently getting up whilst facing downhill is a knack that takes time to master. I am quite curvy too and blamed that, but it isn't down to shape alone - it really is a knack and it take confidence.

I'd keep going with the boarding but do find an instructor who will teach you from a board, not skis

Good luck
ski holidays
@chaletgirl, ditto the getting up facing downhill, it's almost like you feel you're going to career off downhill at any moment!

@Strax, what a useless reply that was, how pompous and self righteous! I take it you're God's gift to the opposite sex???
snow report
[Unwarranted criticism. Deleted post.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 17-03-16 0:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Strax wrote:
A pear shaped 24 year old? Buy a pair of trainers and use them. Improve your diet and drink less alcohol.
Come back when you've done these things, and tell us how much fun you had once your self-confidence returned.

Are you for real. As a reply to a first poster that is a terrible thing to say.
snow conditions
@Strax, "pear shaped" just means your hips are wider than your shoulders, and is a very common shape among British women. That in and of itself does not make you overweight (the op doesn't actually say that she is, so don't assume), and is pretty difficult to change anyway.

@Logan, it sounds like you've had some poor instruction to start with, and that won't help your confidence. Have a few more lessons with a different instructor, and maybe try skiing as well to see which you prefer. You can always do both!
snow report
Strax wrote:
@foxtrotzulu, I hear what you're saying, but you seem to miss the point.
The OP confesses she is pear shaped, and has worked on her legs. Therefore she is able to exercise, she needs to adjust her calorie intake to her consumption, and improve her balance.

Taking up running is a cheap way to improve stamina, lung capacity, core strength and BALANCE. Co-incidentally her increased fitness will improve her self-confidence and enjoyment, i.e the essential bravery to strap your feet together and trust your body to deliver the new skills to stop you falling over.

And yes, of course, if Logan came to me for advice, one of the first things I would suggest would be: healthy diet and a pair of running shoes. I'd probably take her with me, after all I'm 48 years old, she must be able to keep up right?? No-one who took this advice held it against me.
This isn't snowsports advice, Logan will live longer, and probably happier, if she does these things; that's not my opinion, its the advice of medics all around the globe.

Good luck Logan, I hope you can take the advice in a positive manner, and avoid the negative vibes.
Strax

Who says she's not fit and calorie intake is to high anyway ? She didn't ! She's explained that her body is pear shaped , there are lots of different body types and shapes out there .... I trained to quite a high standard at my gym and A weakness of mine was feet together get ups off a reebok box I had to improve hip flexibility and core strength and eventually it worked . You seem to be assuming without knowledge she's overweight and eats to much and is low in self confidence !!!!!!
snow conditions
jocrad wrote:

@Strax, what a useless reply that was, how pompous and self righteous! I take it you're God's gift to the opposite sex???

I've found over the years that very few forum posters that are that unpleasant about a female's shape/size are God's gift to the opposite sex
ski holidays
To get up facing downhill requires reasonable core strength and balance, and is actually easier on a steeper hill.
Although when learning you are not so likely to be on a steep hill, so it's down to abs, glutes, balance, flexibility and beginners luck. While I was learning I got into the habit of always stopping on my toe edge as I was rubbish at getting up heel-side too.
I still try and stop toe side as it is so much easier to get going again, and I have done > 500 days boarding.
latest report
chaletgirl wrote:
jocrad wrote:

I've found over the years that very few forum posters that are that unpleasant about a female's shape/size are God's gift to the opposite sex

Exactly CG, I wonder what his male-hen size is? Assuming it is a bloke. I can't imagine a woman saying that.

Cheers
GC
snow report
@chaletgirl, @GlasgowCyclops, Very Happy
snow report
Ive always gone along with getting the basics sorted out at a local dry slope in the uk ... especially things like "getting up", or even just getting the feel of the board or skis under you ....

I found that boarding took a while to get going then a quick progression, whereas skiing was quicker to get going and took a longer time to progress. With that in mind, boarding was more tiring and possibly more painful to learn for those first days ... so keep at it as the worst may be over !!

the more you fall the more you have to get up so the easier it will be to get up and the less you will fall ...a painful learning curve with functional fitness if you will .... ( once you get the right technique of course otherwise it just continues to be painful so get a good instructor)
snow conditions
Getting up on your heels isn't too tricky in fact it's one of the first things I was taught after being shown how to fall properly, it's just a case of pulling the board up as close to your bum as you can, with one hand grab the board and with the other behind you just push yourself up. I would personally go to the nearest snowdome and learn the basics there, that way when you go away you'll be able to have a few lessons whilst being able to get around the mountain a bit.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 16-03-16 16:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy