Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Spot Checks on Cars at Val d’Isere

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We were flagged down by the gendarmes on our way into La Daille yesterday- a spot check on documentation. Wanted to see driving license, insurance certificate with ‘green card’ (it’s just the translation on the reverse of the certificate these days) and registration. All very friendly-we chatted about famous Isle of Man residents believe it or not...Nigel Mansell, Mark Cavendish. Apparently they are doing more spot checks so have your docs somewhere handy and your gilets jaunts visible!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@lynnecha, The french do this. British registered cars are usually just waved through. Did they also want to see your passports or identity cards?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I got caught up in a similar mass check in Megeve one day - and had left the car documents in the apartment. I learnt my lesson! We were on our way back from picking up daughter at Geneva airport. She told us she'd bought a couple of litres of duty free spirits and we had pointed out that her allowance was only one - when the gendarme waved us over she thought for a moment they had advance intelligence of her smuggling. Laughing I've also been stopped for documentation in Turin. But did have it all with me on that occasion.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Been "controlled" a few times. I always fold my reg. doc. so that the Welsh side is facing out (all official docs. in Wales are bilingual for those that did not know), they then normally ask quelle langue / quel pays, tell them Pays de Galles and it usually results in at least one of them reeling off the names of Welsh rugby players who play in France, asking if you know them etc. Laughing Normally forget all about whether it's the right document for the car, which it was not the last time, as I realised afterwards Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@johnE, we are aware that ‘the French do this’- i was just giving a heads up to anyone coming in to Val that there is a particular blitz going on at the moment so that people coming into Val d’Isere can have their stuff to hand. Last season it was speed checks after the the speed limits were reduced in the village and the immediate approach roads. I prefer documentation checks! Laughing

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 14-01-19 11:30; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Normally forget all about whether it's the right document for the car, which it was not the last time, as I realised afterwards

Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For those of us hiring a car and driving into France (from the Swiss side of Geneva for us), do we need to take anything that's unlikely to be supplied by the hire company?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the heads up - always make sure I have those when driving abroad - together with my spare bulbs, reflective jacket, etc etc
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

have your docs somewhere handy and your gilets jaunts visible!

Not too visible though or they might shoot you
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
When hubby was stopped the other week and fined 90€ for (not) stopping at a stop sign, he couldn't remember the reg number. I don't suppose saying it was on the front of the car helped rolling eyes . He still had to ask me. They only asked for his licence though, not the other documentation. I should probably make sure the copy of the insurance certificate is current for our next trip, it is probably the old one in the glove box.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
denfinella wrote:
For those of us hiring a car and driving into France (from the Swiss side of Geneva for us), do we need to take anything that's unlikely to be supplied by the hire company?

You would only need to show your driving licence and the copy of the hire paperwork that the hire company gave you.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spot checks in St Gervais last week (although on CH plates and was waved through)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy