Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any experience with a large leg lipoma?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It seems I have a habit of attracting fairly rare health issues from time to time!

The latest is a rather sizable lump in my thigh. MRI/US and biposy done and indicate its a fairly large benign lipoma. Obviously very pleased it's nothing too nasty, but it will need to come out as its affecting the mechanics of walking/running and giving me some infrequent soreness in my calf muscles, knees and back from time to time. Speaking with the Drs they don't see any issue with ski/snowboarding with it as long as I don't go too nuts, or strap it up which would affect the blood flow to surrounding, already rather squeezed, muscles. I have a couple of trips coming up. Two days early March and then a week later on in March. The removal op is almost certainly going to be after these dates.

Having practised some squats and the motion of boarding/skiing I don't think it's going to cause too much bother as long as I take it easy, but has anyone else ever had experience of this type of thing before? Any tips, or advice of what I can expect?

Have checked insurance and am fully covered as the issue presented itself well after both trips were booked and the Drs are happy with me traveling/taking part in these activities.

Thanks
M
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Have checked insurance and am fully covered as the issue presented itself well after both trips were booked and the Drs are happy with me traveling/taking part in these activities

I'd still tell the insurance company, just to be on the safe side.

No idea what the answer is to your question, but good luck with your trips. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks - yes I should clarify, I have phoned the insurance company and they are happy.

Just want to insure I enjoy the trips and avoid causing anymore direct, or indirect, damage!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Are you having op done by general surgeon, orthopaedic, or plastic surgeon?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peanuthead I don't have a date for the op yet, but would imagine it will be done by an orthopaedic surgeon. Looks like a night in hospital which is never fun, but NURSES!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My Dad had several lipomas, all removed over a period of time under the private health insurance scheme that came with his job at the time (late 70`s early 80`s). They did not stop him doing any activities but made some actions uncomfortable. The only one that caused a few real difficulties was the very large one in his thigh because the post op wound became infected with a difficult to treat infection. He has a large scar to this day! The other ops all went well and left no ongoing issues.

A friend has an inoperable one against her spine and is somewhat incapacitated as a result!

I guess (as you have done) you just have to take the advice of your doctors on what activities you should restrict, if any, and I would guess a lot depends on exactly where the lipoma is!

Hope you can happily ski on your trip and that the op goes well.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lipoma's are just fatty lumps. I had a quite large one removed from under my shoulder years ago. I had it done under local anaesthetic, in the day surgery unit and scooted out of the hospital about half hour afterwards. But yours sounds like it might be a little bit more involved.
I would've thought it would be a general surgeon doing it - was for mine. If bones aren't involved won't be an orthopod. I reckon you could be a day surgery patient too but might need a G.A.

A NURSE. wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone. So far it looks like the lump is totally benign which is great, however it will need to come out which will be an over night and GA. More good news is the doctor thinks I can be back running again within 2-3 weeks if all goes well.

Was a bit uncertain about boarding but the leg has settled a lot the past few days and less of the mechanical aches and pains have been noticeable. Will be taking it very easy indeed!!

P
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy