Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Post op - skiing - insurance

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, looking for advice

3 months ago I got a operation on my knee - meniscus tear

We have a pre-booked skiing trip to france for next week - both the consultant and the physio are happy for me to go skiing, as long as I take it easy

I'm looking to get travel insurance - when filling the online pre-medical condition questionare I'm putting "Knee Reconstruction" since meniscus tear is no loger there

I get a nice quote which I'm happy to pay

However I called one of the lines on the policy documents and I've been told I won't be covered for Winter Sports if I had a knee operation on the last 2 years

Would that be the case for all the insurers? should I don't declare, since technically my knee has been cleared by the consultant? what do people do in those 2 years after the operation when you want to ski?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You MUST declare and get clearance else your insurance will probalby be invalid

this place was recommended recently for people in situations similar to yours

http://www.insurancewith.com/

Quote:
Fiona Macrae was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2005. Once her treatment was finished, Fiona was desperate for a holiday, and was surprised to find how difficult it was to get an affordable travel insurance policy that covered breast cancer.
As an insurance professional with over 20 years experience Fiona was convinced that it must be possible to provide sensibly priced travel insurance not only for people with cancer but for anyone with a medical condition and so……… Insurancewith was created.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@JBean,
Just because your consultant says you can ski does not mean you may not be a higher risk from an insurance point of view.
I would shop around as different insurers have very different rules.
I have just got insurance from MPI for skiing with a pre-existing condition and the only effect has been to bump up the excess for that particular condition.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Also, I don't think tidying up a meniscus tear is in the same category as a knee reconstruction.

As soon as you have anything out of the ordinary, online insurance forms are hopeless. Best to ring a good broker and talk to somebody who knows what they're about. Try MPI brokers.

You might find you can get insurance excluding the knee that has been operated on.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had no problem getting insurance after hip-resurfacing within the year , got a number of reasonable quotes. Went with the SCGB in the end (I'm not a member). Of course the policy excludes anything that is directly related to the surgery.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 2-03-16 18:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
JBean wrote:
Hi, looking for advice

3 months ago I got a operation on my knee - meniscus tear

We have a pre-booked skiing trip to france for next week - both the consultant and the physio are happy for me to go skiing, as long as I take it easy

I'm looking to get travel insurance - when filling the online pre-medical condition questionare I'm putting "Knee Reconstruction" since meniscus tear is no loger there

I get a nice quote which I'm happy to pay

However I called one of the lines on the policy documents and I've been told I won't be covered for Winter Sports if I had a knee operation on the last 2 years

Would that be the case for all the insurers? should I don't declare, since technically my knee has been cleared by the consultant? what do people do in those 2 years after the operation when you want to ski?

Thanks

Insurer decides what's covered , or from their point of view what's on risk, consultant
Cannot override the insurers view.

By putting knee reconstruction you may have scuppered your chances as that is generally a term that loosely means anterior cruciate reconstruction.

You may get somewhere by explaining your error. If you had your meniscus trimmed you should say just that.
If not you may have to start again, a broker is a good idea.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone, will give MPI a ring later today
did tried online forms with Meniscus damage, but that cancelled the winter sports, but in a way my meniscus is not damaged anymore
and yes, knee reconstruction got the two years - but now will say meniscus trim which is really all they did
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@JBean,
Quote:

Thanks everyone, will give MPI a ring later today

It's cheaper to do it online. You get a form for the medical cover which you fill in but is not ridiculously tick box and allows you to explain the medical condition.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I tore knee ligaments 2 years ago and had treatment for 12 months. I am covered for winter sports on my insurance but not for an injury to the specific ligament in my left knee. Frustratingly when I renewed my annual policy back in October it wasn't a year since last treatment so for the duration of this policy I'm still not covered for that knee, even though when I skied it was 12 months since last treatment. Probably would have been better off getting single trip insurance until the year was up
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
^ that was insure and go
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@nbt, thanks so much!

I finally went with insurance with

The online form was straightforward and did allowed me to enter meniscus trim, time since operation, etc

Very impressed with them
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@JBean, what did you go with?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@holidayloverxx, it's called "Insurancewith"
Followed @nbt, recommendation
And MPI came back after with a higher excess for the knee, but keeping the original quote, so also a good option
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy