Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vallee blanche or is there something better

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks

I may have an opportunity to get another short ski trip in , maybe in next 2/3 weeks.

I will probably be travelling solo and thought about joining a group to ski the Vallee Blanche for a bit of adventure.

Not done this but reading some reports and talking to people who have done it I suspect it may be a bit of a let down ?? Or maybe try a variation to the classic route, I believe some involve skinning to descend from the Italian side or climb to Col Freshfield away from the crowds.
The Grand Envers route sounds much more challenging,

This info is coming straight off High Mountain Guides website but would love to hear from anyone who has personal experience of any of the routes, especially any involving some climbing or variation to the main routes.

OR anyone fancy a 2/3 day trip ?

Dave
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I did the classic route last week. It's not a steep n deep adrenaline fest but a spectacular day scenery wise. I believe some of the variations are more challenging and there were plenty of extreme looking couloirs either side that looked reachable with a bit of effort. If you want a tougher route it would be best to contact prior to booking and ensure you are attached to an appropriate group.

The highlight for me was skiing down next to and then having lunch at the base of the ice-fall(but far enough away if anything detached which apparently happens about once a week) and while eating seeing a guy skinning up the VB on his own, accompanied by 3 huskies who's "lead" was a 10m rope attached to his harness.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As above. Spectacular, but don't expect much from the skiing unless you do one of the variations / skin a bit.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Contact Rob Jarvis at High mountain guides - Explain to him what you are looking I'm sure he will take you on a day out to remember!
He's a great guy to spend time in the mountains with.
cheers,Bob
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another vote for Rob Jarvis
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for feedback folks, sounds good,

I'll report back.. if I get there !

Apologies btw @JamesN, I just reread my origional post and it maybe seems to discredited peoples achievements on skiing the VB. not intended .

Was it busy up there ?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@scarbski, It didn't come across that way at all, there's no point skiing something if you won't enjoy it. Very Happy

It wasn't overly busy, there was a bottleneck walking along the ridge but it cleared after that. There was a fair amount of people skiing the classic and tourers going off in various directions but nobody got in anyone else's way.

Our guide was telling us about the Vallee Noire, which involves skiing down some of the classic route and then skinning for a couple of hours followed by skiing down another glacier in the next valley. It sounds like it might be your cup of tea if you want an extra challenge. He pointed out the mountain you have to skin and it looked about an 800m climb.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you want a non standard VB day out, contact Olivier Greber at the la Compagnie and explain what you are looking for.

http://www.chamonix-guides.com/Trombinoscope/172/contact/olivier_greber_guides/49-accueil-organisation-chamonix.htm

Tell him Matt from les Islouts sent you!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy