Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wrist protectors - transferred injuries?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm considering getting some wrist protectors for boarding, but iffy about having my wrists 'immobilised' (or at least restricted).
What type of fall are they most likely to protect against and when are they pointless? (I'm on piste, not tricks/park but a beginner/intermediate so learning to fall over at faster speeds, if hopefully less wink )
My greatest worry is that if I fall forwards in particular and instinctively try to flatten my hands/palms out in front of me but can't bend my wrists backwards as I naturally do (and also perhaps then feel less relaxed and flexible in the elbow and upper arm joints/movements) then I'm a lot more likely to land on my fingers/fingertips and break, sprain or dislocate fingers/knuckles or hand bones. Ditto if I end up dragging my hand across the snow as is often the case (on both back or front edge). That or I'll end up transferring torsional strain and/or just general forces into the elbow or upper arms (where I have stiff and irritated msucles anyway). My wrists are, I think, pretty flexible as a general rule (years of piano and musical instrument training amongst other things) but the body and bones are getting older...
Does the protectors' benefit outweight the risk, or for recreational use is it not worth it?
Cheers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not a real boarder (I learned but reverted back to skiing). But I was taught to ball up my fingers into a fist, and bend my elbow to absorb the impact.

I think the idea is indeed to redistribute the force to joints/bones that are better able to absorb the force.

Individual with certain weakness should be careful about the resulting redistribution of forces.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 23-02-16 20:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't know. I use them for ice skating. I have very tiny wrists and I hurt one a few years ago falling.

Suspect they do transfer injuries up slightly, but in me I reckon those bones are bigger and stronger.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
abc wrote:
I was taught to ball up my fingers into a fist, and bend my elbow to absorb the impact.

So was I. Great theory, not always so great in that odd kind of instantaneous, no notice fall which happens on snowboards.
Mind you, boarding with a pre-made fist does help with fending off a few other annoying piste users... Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've never bought into the 'Transferred Injury' idea. If you're transferring enough energy into your lower arm bones to break them, imagine the amount of damage you would have done to the smaller, more fragile bones in your hand and wrist. I've got a set and wear them very occasionally these days, normally when I know that i'm doing something where I'll have a greater chance of falling, like park riding. I did used to wear them quite a bit when learning, nothing spectacular, just a cheap Dakine set, and I'd recommend them, probably over impact shorts. One thing I've found is that if you are falling, wrist guards help protect the soft parts of the hand from bruising, I've bruised the base of my thumb before now and its amazing how much more complicated it makes life when you can't use your thumb properly. Yes, you can get ones which go halfway up your arm, but *personally* I think they're overkill.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
When I learned I had a pair of the dakine ones, which were a real faff. Have a look some built into gloves, like the level biomex protected ones, you hardly notice you're using them and really good protection.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Grizzler wrote:
abc wrote:
I was taught to ball up my fingers into a fist, and bend my elbow to absorb the impact.

So was I. Great theory, not always so great in that odd kind of instantaneous, no notice fall which happens on snowboards.
Mind you, boarding with a pre-made fist does help with fending off a few other annoying piste users... Smile

Yep it was a too quick for even the reflex getting the arms right for the fall to get my daughter's wrist out of the way when she broke her wrist snowboarding. We have gone with Demon Flexmeter double sided guards for her return to snowboarding on the advice of a sports physio friend

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 24-02-16 22:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Grizzler, all the info you need is here:
http://www.ski-injury.com/prevention/wrist_guards
And do read the bit on Types of Injury (as suggested)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Grizzler,

The simplest response to your question is that wrist guards reduce the risk of wrist fractures.

Probably worth considering in a piano player.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ive been wearing the Dakine wrist guards for about 15 years........no not the same pair, but probably on the third now so they do last.

Dakine seem to make the smallest wrist guards that you can easily fit under your gloves. I've tried others but they all seem too big.

You do get used to making a fist and keep your wrists straight when you fall and it becomes natural after a while. They do feel restrictive at first but you will soon get used to them.
I honestly would not ride without them now. As for transfer injuries, as said above, the bones in your upper arm are much stronger than a fragile wrist......and are a lot easier fix and also take less time.

Get some, its a no brainer.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Gyro, try some of those Level Biomex gloves, they're a revelation.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Grizzler wrote:
abc wrote:

I found when I fall unexpectedly (funny to think of falling "expectedly" but that's about 95% of the fall when I was learning), I simply got slammed on the deck with whatever part of my body that happened to be nearest to the ground! As a result, I didn't land on my wrist any more frequent than say, my forearm, my shoulder, or even my chest/forehead! Sad

That may explain why most of the accomplished boarders I ski with don't wear wrist protectors. I think most quickly learn not to extend their hand to brace their falls. As for falling ONTO the wrist, it's about the same odd as falling on some ice walking to the bar at the end of the day? Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy