Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving from Cherbourg to Les Deux Alpes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi snowheads, we usually drive to The Alpes from the Eurotunnel, usual route, A26 Reims, then Lyon, done this for years.

However due to circumstances in March we will be driving to Les Deux Alpes from Cherbourg Ferry Port,

AA Route planner puts us on the A13 to Paris then around Paris and down the A6, We will be staying just North of Paris on the Friday evening, so can leave early on the Saturday to drive to resort.

Is this the best route, or would I be better cutting across to the A5 and down as the A6 and A5 merge further south. Also what will outskirts of Paris as we cut around it be on morning of 26th March.

Or is there a better route option .

Want to stick to motorways as just two of us to share the drive.

Regards
Tim B
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Google maps gives same route. There's quite a big loop from Troyes to Dijon and you'll be adding to that, I suspect it would add quite a few miles. Advantage though is easily getting on A39 which is a much better road to Lyon for Grenoble.

North of Paris is out if your way really but if essential may make A5 better. Lots of its and buts Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We are doing the same trip at Easter too. We usually do the tunnel but for an extra £80 we get to go a mile from home instead if the usual 4 hours to Folkestone each way in the motorhome. The total distance overall is only 50km each journey. We will take about a day and a half to drive down and stop on an aire at some point overnight. It's our 4th ski trip to LDA as it is guaranteed snow and the campsite we stay in is lovely.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have done the A13, A6 route down to the Alps from Dieppe a few times and although the bit round Paris can be slow the rest of the route is pretty good. If you are staying just north of Paris (near the A13) and leaving early on the Saturday morning I think you'll be fine.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try: http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all, we are staying on the Friday night about an hour North of Paris, so an early start around 0600 should get us around Paris before it is too busy.

@tarrantd, Good to hear th A6 is a good run

@Claude B, By A39 do you mean what we call "The Chicken Run " because it skirts Bourg en Bresse
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Tim
I drove that route from Le Havre a couple of weeks ago and no problems. It was a Sunday starting out when the boat arrived around 8am so skirted Paris around lunch time. No problems at all.

My first time driving in France so you will have more experience to compare but virtually no traffic the whole way for me. It will be Easter weekend which I'm sure you know but being the Saturday and early will be in your favour.

Have a great trip Smile

Tom
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bazinga,

Thanks, no we have driven In France on numerous occaisions and the route we normally take we know so well. I hope the A6 is as nice a piece of road as the A5, more concerned re getting round Paris on Easter Saturday, but we are stopping 44km NW of Paris, so if we leave at 0600-0630 I reckon we should be ok
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Timbobaggins,
Bison Futé give a forecast of an Orange day for departures on 26th March in France so it is likely to be busy around Paris and the A6 south. Link to their forecast here http://www.bison-fute.gouv.fr/IMG/pdf/15209_Calendrier_2016_Bison_Fute_A3_DEF_Light.pdf . Google maps give about 30 minutes difference between your 2 routes if you re-join the A6 south of Dijon. Using the A39 adds another 30 minutes to their time.

You will probably need to adjust on the day, listen to the AutoRoute radio on 107.7, traffic news is regularly broadcast in French every 15 minutes with important updates interrupting the wonderful French pop. Some areas also broadcast the traffic news in English every half hour.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I hope the A6 is as nice a piece of road as the A5,

It's not, actually, but still better than driving on an English motorway.

If you could get to the top of the A6 before stopping on Friday night it would give you a much better run on the Saturday.

We always used to go Portsmouth - Le Havre and I found late night the best time for getting round Paris. But that was some s ago and there were perpetual roadworks and nonsense on the laughingly called outer ring road thing - is it the Francilienne? One night I was sure I was getting lost, it was very quiet, practically nobody around. I pulled in to look at the map and a French car stopped behind me. I felt temporarily a little worried, till the guy walked up and said he was lost, and did I know the way to the A6. I said probably, but no guarantees, and he followed me. We both made it!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Claude B wrote:
........A39 which is a much better road to Lyon for Grenoble

And you can stop at Les Poulet de Bresse services, one I always try to use when going that way. Large metallic hen you see as you approach. Stayed there overnight once.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Was it cheep?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy