Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's the earliest you can teach kids ?

Poster: A snowHead
My grandson is 18 months and his dad (my SIL) shows little interest in skiing despite a lot of prodding. All our 3 girls are good skiers (my grandson's mum did a season a few years back and has skied since she was 4)

I notice that Hemel do lessons from the age of 4 but wondering if there's any value in trying earlier, like next year when he'll be two and a half

Also do they do boots that small ? You do see some real tiny tots on YouTube etc but despite having looked for the kit haven't managed to find anyone that does boots for kiddies that young.

What's the earliest they do ski kindergarten abroad ? I'm guessing we might have to wait at least until he's 3 and a half
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Many snowdomes and resorts lessons start at 4. However, you will find some resorts that start at 3yo. I have not seen lower than this apart from parents teaching their own children.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@dsoutar, from experience with my grandchildren, it varies from child to child, but unless you are someone with loads of time to just spend with the child, having fun with some skis on, it's best to wait until they are at least 3, and then just do very short sessions.

My experience is that kids who do balance stuff (balance bike to start with, scooter, two-wheeler) learn faster, and enjoy it more, than kids that don't, or who struggle with it.

So, whilst understanding exactly how keen you are (I bought a tiny pair of 70cm skis in snow and rock when my first grandchild was a year old rolling eyes ) I'd say, get him on a balance bike, a scooter, a two-wheeler bike, take him to the skate park and do all that stuff.

For properly learning, in lessons, I'd say 4 years old is the earliest it makes sense to start. Parents who put kids in a "ski kindergarten" are often looking for a fun child-care option rather than serious tuition. But the child that starts at 7 will soon catch up with the one who started at 3 or 4. I just enrolled a complete beginner 7 year old in group lessons at Easter. I had a 5 year old in a group at Christmas. The "level" the 7 year old will be aiming at (Souris Cristal in the ESI classification) is one above the level the 5 year old was aiming at (Souris de Bronze).

(Talking about ordinary holiday skiers here, not kids like those of Phil Smith and Emma whatsit, who are in a rather special category).

And this is obviously the opinion of a grandmother - professional ski instructors might well feel differently.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 9-02-16 11:38; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We hired skis and boots abroad when ours were 3.5 and 2yrs old (and both were very small for their age).
The boots had soft uppers and the skis were plastic, so their technique was dreadful!
They looked cute and enjoyed it though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We managed to smuggle out youngest into ESF Piou Piou club in December 2014 when he was two weeks shy of his third birthday. They don't officially take children until they are three.

It was of limited sucess, with a lot of tears and recalcitrance. He is a very sporty boy who wanted to ski as his elder brother could do so.

Fast forward a year and we put him into 5 of 6 private lessons at a local dry slope before we went away at New Year. We went to La Norma which has an exceptional nursery slope. He had an hours private lessons each day and absolutely loved every minute of it. He spent three hours each day on the slope and didn't want to leave in the end. It was only a chocolate chaud up the mountain persuaded him to do so !

His progression on holiday was 10 times quicker than it would have been on short lessons at home.

After three days he was controlling his speed and direction around markers, linking turns (even with a hint of parallel).

Every child is different, but I would say that two and half is too early.

He has his own skis and boots, which are a mondo 17.5 or a childrens size 10.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@dsoutar, at Hemel 4 years is the youngest for group lessons. There is a big change when they start school as they learn a lot about being part of a group, joining in etc which makes the lesson a lot more productive. But Hemel also do short private lessons for 3 year olds. These can work well if you're keen to make an early start, but obviously more expensive.

My advice would be to not worry about them learning to ski and progressing their technique, but get them to enjoy skiing and being on snow in general. If they enjoy themselves they will learn at their own speed. If they're not having fun, they won't want to do it again and progress will stall. To that end anything on snow is a good idea - just getting used to being all dressed up, in boots, stomping around, picking themselves up, keeping their gloves on, making snow angels and sliding about or sledging are all excellent foundations for when they put skis on for the first time. Hemel also run sledging and snow garden sessions for example when it's a little quieter (i.e. not right now!).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ours have been on proper skis and boots since 2 and 3.5; they've had private lessons since 4 (we did try the boy at 3 but it was a dismal failure!) Both have happily gone round the magic carpet with us since 2 & 3.5 though.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ours both started ski school at around 3. There was a bit of trying on and shuffling about and being towed before then but proper lessons started then.

Although the youngest had his first snowboard experience at 2 and a bit...

Most important of all is Keep it Fun.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lots of good advice thanks. Despite the fact that I've got 100+ weeks of skiing under my belt I do want him to be taught by someone who has been trained to teach skiing just as I wouldn't want to teach anyone how to drive

The last thing I want is for him to pick up any bad techniques (of which I have quite a few I'm sure !) from me.

He's coming to Finland with us soon for our x-c week so we'll just see how he gets on with snow for a start and then think about things again next year
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lots of small kids on XC skis in Les Saisies, @dsoutar, but the youngest looked like 3 - 4.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My younger son was 3yrs 10months when he first put skis on (his older brother was 6) and that was in Aviemore at Easter, as that was all we could afford at the time. We were lucky with conditions and weather (good cover at car park level). No lifts needed but it was a lot of effort for me (didn't have lessons)and it was as much about playing in the snow and making it fun. They have to be kept warm (obviously) or they'll be miserable and the day is over. We went to Aviemore another four times having private lessons for them from time to time.

He's 25 now and is a better skier than I am, having skied most years since those first short slides. He's not interested in boards either (having tried it once with instructor in Flaine). I think 3.5 to 4 years old is about right.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Children vary in their athletic abilities, obviously. One of my sons (the younger one) is an exceptionally good skier, and was noticeably more adventurous than his siblings. He started skiing at 9. His older brothr and younger sister are naturally more cautious, and not as naturally well coordinated. They both ski fine, but just not in the same league. He was a natural with a tennis racket and ball, too.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My daughter was in ski school with ESF for 10 days recently - 2.5 hrs per day with a short break. She is 3 yrs 11 months and loved it. She can snow plough, turn and use button lifts all by herself now. She enjoyed it so much we've booked her in for lessons at the Chill Factore now too.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ours started in a snowdome at 2.5yrs. He's now 3.5 and flying around. We started him so young as he asked to and he was the size of a 4yo back then. He took to it really well.

Only reservation would be are

1) toilet training is essential
2) ensure he or she is confident communicating with kids and adults (mine never shuts up, much like me!)
3) expect little to no progression each week, expect the odd outburst of tears, and then anything will be an achievement
4) for gods sake keep it fun and don't be pushy.

Theo started off on 50min lessons for the first 6 months but now happily does 2 hours on sat and Sundays.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hemel do private lessons for three year olds that are half an hour in length.

Also it really, really depends on the child and you won't know until you try. One of our daughters was doing the ski cross at Hemel, even catching some air(!) before she turned five, yet our son, despite a dozen private lessons and a week on snow, still cannot even do a snowplough to stop (although to be fair he is autistic, but he's very physical and strong). Both were enthusiastic about learning, although obviously the one who progressed faster stayed a lot more enthusiastic as time went by although our son does enjoy it. Both started at around the same age - their fourth birthday.
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/Z_F01eV0Iqw
snow report
Started all mine off between 13 months and 20 months. The younger two are still well quite young. Eldest started off on plastic skis but skipped that for the other 2 and direct to 70cms skis and smallest boots we could find. Just take it easy with them, to start they just like sliding on bunny slopes and getting used to snow and wearing all the gear mucking about in the snow. Mix it up as much as possible with reins, between the legs, holding your ski sticks etc. And be patient - I'm a master at that, LOL.

A pic from Xmas of the ankle biters - the eldest now training the young ones.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/aXG2OK0K1U0XEGDyP3SKk0ALfEgJSCZC6dUs--cOiBL3i6ZcZ7fz7Lw2v2roh7NDDbnIP-IimGbNi1Dc7vjdZImtba4XaU_5xxX_flcCe663xh7evc0d0ku6lAlXFpiMQqUOjcPSWtGxDTUjusrIfOEk7OYdq3pfkOywNd62s8V5sYSIX7cJ96a_NS40PDi_38Q1186P5vO_dv1VE1qBpUU6wrU1aA6fOUFiS7lPMB_3D8IA4montxgSnZ6Q8RDw3BIapQTgZIKj5AJ51Yv0mOESa7ncQ7ZMvavmOrEKnjJJZlQbG-3bnfP69JruygxTOOgxQe7byjzr0LcChDEpV7iK321Hjm6x1fXLOl_T0NwRJzRyDVkHObiWldZ8b75KuITwtovpzbnLmTpwEZBSTb-EXAyi36pKDbL93kj5BmkqAq24uOooyqnUTDFNk1sIvcES5NURd22lnADCDsKq4DLN3TKwTTsjSB_W947sk3aCzkzNv98sx5k_g9XEVyUra_RJnwiqXDE5KzEgsUPOk7qLX0V23LMaOzVqrV_W558Lk1oLyk_gDoqVEd_KlRd0mbcClA=w550-h300-no

Not sure why the [img] tag not working so changed to a [url]
snow report
My brother's kid had just turned 2 when they first took him, but he's Canadian so it's pretty much the law, plus he's a giant for his age. He's 5 now but I don't have a clue how he's got on, he's still alive so that can only be a good thing.
latest report
Also depends on what you call 'skiing'. You could probably put an 18 month old into skis and pull them along. I'd keep it short (half an hour?) and let them just roll about in the snow and have fun.

My daughter started at 2 years 5 months, but in just very short spurts of literally minutes. After 2 months she could do 2 hours with a break at which point I put her into ski school. She didn't really crack the snowplow stop until 3. Then she just took off and in now mixing parallel with snowplow, confident on blues and doing little jumps at 3y 8mo.

Unlike the rest of my family I am eternally intermediate and not competetive. I think this might have helped as I wasn't desperate for her to be a skier and never made her ski if she wasn't interested. On the other hand, my brother (who is a FAR better skier than me) started his son at 2y 1mo. I wonder if his love of skiing has made him too pushy, and now at 5 years his son starts the day refusing to put skiis on, and gives up after half an hour. If they're not interested don't make a big deal of it. Just stop and give it another go in a week or two.

As for equipment, just go for the smallest boots with lots of socks. I mean, he's really not going to notice heel lift! Skiis go down to 70 I think?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 9-02-16 21:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Forgot to say, esf will take 2 year olds into the snow garden, but not booked ahead. You have to go to the office with your child to register them for a trial session. Unfortunately some times ski garden can put little ones off. I'll never forget seeing a cluster of kids crying and the instructor shouting 'tais toi!' at them. Keep a close eye if you put a 2 year old in!
latest report
My advice would be to give it a go and see what happens as it is totally dependant on the child.

I have some kids who have been skiing with me from 3 who do just fine; others struggle.

Primary skill to start with is how their balance is. I was skiing with a 3yo yesterday who did a snowplough on their 3rd run and even tried a turn. I have another child who after 4 sessions cannot hold a plough.

But they are both having fun and that is what matters as far as the parents are concerned.

Progression will come, but when the child is ready (not when the parent is wanting it).

Give it a go; ideally leave it a little while as we are still very very busy; even better if you can get to Hemel during the week as this time is less busy.

Please feel free to send me a private message if you would like some more information or to discuss.
snow report
We were given a rule of thumb along the lines of "what takes a week at four takes a day at five". We started my daughter at 2y10m and my son at 4y11m.

Like-for-like, my daughter (now 5) is at best a season ahead of where my son was at the same age, but he'd had 10 days tuition and she's had 10 weeks! She was also a decent ice skater when she started skiing, which in my experience is much more helpful than snowdome or similar practice.

@Canuck, our local ESF definitely won't take 2 yr olds.
ski holidays
Quote:
What's the earliest you can teach kids ?

Some say 1066 and the Norman invasion is early enough. However, I have quite vivid memories of being taught about Queen Boadicea, and she caught my imagination. So there you have it: my recommendation is that the earliest you can teach kids is 61AD.
ski holidays
@dsoutar, I've taught children from 2.5 years in an Austrian resort and had good results. Some of them will take to skiing at that age and for others it's purely an introduction to sliding around in the snow and having fun.

It is so dependent on the particular child so I believe it's best to try from an early age and see how you get on.

Have fun and enjoy your next holiday!
snow report
We all like to see the little ones skiing and are very proud if they are our own little ones (plus it's super cute).

But how soon really depends on the kid and if they don't enjoy it what's the point?

So out son started with real skis at 3 (he had plastic "patinettes" before) and by the end of the first season he could go on blues and control his speed via snowplough etc. - but given a choice would prefer sledging than skiing. We only did 1 private lesson and 2 days piou piou ay ESF that year.

It's only at 4 that he started to really like it - and continue skiing with us in the afternoon after a morning at ski school (2 weeks at the ESF for Flocon and 1st star).

Flash forward today - he's 5 and he pulls us on blacks because he knows he can tackle moguls like a pro. He just had one more week at the ESF (2nd star) but they rightly say we'll have to wait 1-2 years for the next level, because of age/size.

Again, overall it depends what you are after - we just wanted him to be able to ski with us all day and he can now do that but you really don't want them to start to hate skiing.
snow conditions
Quote:

given a choice would prefer sledging than skiing.

those of my grand children who messed around a bit on skis at 3 also preferred sledging. I think 4 is soon enough to think about "proper" lessons and, unless they are really keen, 5 is better. Some are really keen, of course, but I reckon more often it's the daddies!
ski holidays
Quote:

Some are really keen, of course, but I reckon more often it's the daddies!

Our French alpine friends are very amused by the British obsession with teaching their kids to ski as young as possible!
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

given a choice would prefer sledging than skiing.

those of my grand children who messed around a bit on skis at 3 also preferred sledging. I think 4 is soon enough to think about "proper" lessons and, unless they are really keen, 5 is better. Some are really keen, of course, but I reckon more often it's the daddies!

That said I was Theos choice to start at 2.5 and he was snow plough turning after 4 hours of lessons. He's always been really athletic though with horses and touch rugby.

We just keep things really chilled, and let him do his thing. We've never wanted to put him through private lessons as whilst I'm sure for son they may work, to me they lose the fun factor of being part of junior club where the learn through messing around.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dsoutar
"What's the earliest they do ski kindergarten abroad ?",

About 8.30 am.

Simple!
snow report
@rungsp, Toofy Grin not early enough. Surely they can do a 6:30am room pick up so I can have a lie in Happy
ski holidays
snowdave wrote:
Quote:

Some are really keen, of course, but I reckon more often it's the daddies!

Our French alpine friends are very amused by the British obsession with teaching their kids to ski as young as possible!

Yes but if they're alpine they can do it whenever they like (within reason). With most Brits, it's a once a year opportunity I guess. By the time the alpine kids are 8, even if they didn't start learning until age 6 they'll already have multiple numbers of days on skis than most British kids of a similar age regardless of when they started
ski holidays
A lot of European countries are also bemused that we have kids aged 4 years and 1 day in "proper" primary school and it's compulsory from the beginning of the term they turn 5. The Germans (for example) start rather later, and are not a notably stupid nation. wink
latest report
mmmh... indeed, living close to the slopes is an advantage (I'm having lunch with a (very clouded) view of Mt Blanc behind the Mole and Saleve right now...).

But I reckon what helps kids more is other balance related activities - balance bike then straight to a bike (no helper wheels), ice skating (can start early on double blades), quad skating, any type of pushbikes... plus seeing the parents skiing/skating.

I also don't think getting kids as early as possible on skis is a Brit thing - for a start, I'm not a Brit. Most of my London mates have not pushed their kids. My French colleagues, on the other hand... I guess it's a normal parent thing, and I am as guilty as any re. competition etc. when in fact all kids excell at different things.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy