Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Walking in ski boots

Poster: A snowHead
My new boots (Salomans) have much slipperier soles than my previous boots (Langes), as a result of which I'm capering about like a new born foal (ish). Does anyone know of a solution, apart from Catracks, which I don't rate much, and a very expensive and cumbersome US device which someone mentioned on another thread a week or two ago?

Is it really beyond the wit of boot manufacturers to make ski boot soles a bit grippier? I know that they have to release, but even so. For £250, it'd be nice to have something that did the whole job properly, not just 90%.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
richmond, have you tried the cat tracks, my hubby thinks they're great?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
richmond, the problem is that if ski boot soles GRIP the binding, then you won't release as easily in a fall.
(I use cat tracks, and they work well - why don't you rate them?)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
richmond,

only two options really, cat tracks or ski-in ski-out holidays
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Or AT boots and Frischiti bindings

Or telemark boots and telemark bindings and if you go for low ankle soft flexing touring boots they are dead easy to walk in. You start losing a bit of control of the skis for skiiing off piste particular poor snow conditions and for bumps, but I've had no probs skiing groomed blacks in touring boots and Fischer Outabounds skis
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I find Catracks a bit awkward to put on until they stretch enough, and shortly after that they stretch too much and fall off. They're fine when they're on, 'though. Looks like that's the only option apart from different boots (and perhaps a whole new type of skiing - nice idea, but I don;'t think so).

I don't have a problem with the lack of flex, it's the slippery sole. I don't believe that the soles need to be that smooth to release properly, as I said. My Langes were much more grippy than these new (very comfy) Salomans, and they released OK. What sort of soles do touring boots have BTW?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's true, my Salomon's are deathly on ice - and then Mr Eng wonders why I'm miles behind him
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
richmond wrote:
I find Catracks a bit awkward to put on until they stretch enough, and shortly after that they stretch too much and fall off.

Try this: When you buy them, stretch them onto your boots, then steam them while on the boots. This will allow them to stretch to the longer length. If you then leave them on the boots for a few hours at that, they will be easier to get on/off.

richmond wrote:
I don't believe that the soles need to be that smooth to release properly, as I said.

Sorry, I may not have explained myself clearly - if the sole has much of a pattern on it, then it may well trap water/ice/snow in the pattern. This can then freeze the boot to the binding. That's when it's not good.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
richmond, Stop dancing on the tables in your ski boots.

That's why the soles get slippery! wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat, thanks for the advice; I'll try it. I just point the kettle at the Catracks on the boot, yes?

I see what you mean about patterned soles. My Langes' soles had transverse ridges maybe 1/2mm high, on the heel and toe areas, which gave them reasonably good (for ski boots) grip. Unfortunately they were excruciatingly painful and impossible to flex, even for 16.5 stone me.

boredsurfin, good advice. I will not do it in future.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
richmond, Are they Atomics? Mine are horribly slippery!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, Salomans.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
richmond
Quote:
What sort of soles do touring boots have BTW?

Walking/climbing boot-type soles (of the sort made by Vibram), which will take a crampon.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's stupid and very difficult..............i have a solution - SNOWBOARD!!! Laughing NehNeh
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stevo wrote:
richmond
Quote:

Walking/climbing boot-type soles (of the sort made by Vibram), which will take a crampon.

Presumably they need to release reliably, so why can't all ski boots have such soles? I see that some Salomons have a decent looking tread front and back; I wonder why they all don't.
latest report
Some people put vibram soles on alpine boots. Obviously, this could be dicey for the reasons outlined by WTFH and also because grinding some of the sole away can reduce the strength of the boot structurally. Here's how to do it though:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12032&highlight=vibram+idris
snow conditions
Quote:

Presumably they need to release reliably, so why can't all ski boots have such soles?

I've no idea why not, I ski on AT bindings and boots and have no problems with releases (however I don't fall over very often and my skis have only released once since I bought them). I much prefer my AT boots to downhill boots. I've also used my AT boots with my old downhill skis and bindings (that I use as rockhoppers). I've not had a problem , but I can't recall either falling or having a ski release when using that combination, but as I use them infrequently and usually when conditions are poor I may never have been in a situation where I've needed them to release. I did take my AT boots to Hillend dryski slope once and hire skis off them. The technician said it wasn't ideal, but was perfectly willing to hire me the skis. He said thet might not release as reliably as normal boots, but the problem he quoted was not the vibram sole but the possibilty that the sole thickness was greater.
ski holidays
richmond wrote:
Is it really beyond the wit of boot manufacturers to make ski boot soles a bit grippier? I know that they have to release, but even so.

The soles of my slippery salmons/salomons have been planed to align them properly. I think the Salomon soles have been designed for this purpose, for those of use with wonky legs. Madeye-Smiley

Can you use Scarpa boots to ski on downhill skis or just on telemark skis? They have big grips on the bases.
latest report
richmond wrote:
Stevo wrote:
richmond
Quote:

Presumably they need to release reliably, so why can't all ski boots have such soles? I see that some Salomons have a decent looking tread front and back; I wonder why they all don't.

Rubber tread soles wear down if used off the ski a lot - just like any other shoe. Touring bindings have a screw to adjust the height of the slot that takes the sole - this means it can accommodate different sole thicknesses. I suppose downhill bindings could be designed to do this, but it would make what are already more sophisticated (and heavy) release mechanisms even more sophisticated and heavy. (One of the advantages of my Fritschis is that they're soooo light Very Happy But then they are more than twice as expensive as downhill bindings Shocked )
ski holidays
Cattracks are good. If you just walk in your boots without anything on them, the toe part will eventually break off. That's what happened to my old boots. It is not good for the boot.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy