Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Girt Big Ski Bags

Poster: A snowHead
I've just noticed that my air tickets show I'm only allowed two items of hold luggage for a forthcoming trip.

I already have a "standard" issue double ski bag, but see that Snow & Rock, Ellis Brigham and (I think) Da Kine do double wheely ski bags which, they say, holds two/three pairs of skis, and also yer boots helmets and very small children.

Are they really that big?

Anyone seen or bought one?

Is this a sensible way to transport all your kit in the one bag?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a 2/3 pair wheely bag - don't know about small children my 6' 2", 15 stone other half can fit INSIDE it...it doesn't do up all the way but even so...Lightly packed it weights 30kilos so be careful would be easy to go over max individual bag weight...it also causes much consternation to taxi drivers - I thought we were going to have to leave it behind last time!

Useful if you want to consolidate down to one bag/have a quiver of skis to transport but it's not that handy to travel with...

aj xx
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ajhainey, sounds like it saves you a few quid on flight tickets though Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
marc gledhill, I have one of the S&R ones - they are big - I put my skis and about half my clothes into them. The helmet & stuff goes in the other bag, and the boots are my carry-on.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I just bought one of those Dakine double ski bags .....fantastic,I will be able to fit skis and clothes, then take boots on board with me.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Marc,

I have the S&R double one with wheels + a S&R wheelie bag that I can get boots into the end pockets. I've not tried to fit boots into my ski bag, but may well try it for my end of Jan trip

Your welcome to pop around and take a peek at them if you wish!

regards,

Greg
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've seen snowboarders, who have packed alot of their clothing into their board bags, told that they aren't allowed to do it as it is supposed to be ski's only. I have actually seen one forced to unpack and put his clothes into freinds luggage. How right it is I don't know but its always kept me worried so I only pack skis and poles in the ski bag with maybe some protective gear.

If you take a pair of skis in one bag do you pay the same carriage as one pair? Puzzled

regards
Will
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I always wrap my skis in some clothing as packaging - it's never been questioned. If they do raise the issue tell them that they refuse to compensate for damage so therefore padding is required.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Advice sought ...

I've recently bought a double sport-tube ski box. Will I be able to get away with taking two pairs of skis and paying for only one ski carriage fee???

Thanks.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gregh, thanks for that. Having looked into baggage allowances, I'm allowed one 70lbs bag with BA for my connecting flight but two 50lbs bags with the main carrier. Evil or Very Mad

As BA will charge £15 for the skibag on it's own, I think I'll take the hit on that and split my gear between two bags so I don't get one big bag refused at check-in on the main flight
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Marc,

I've never heard of BA charging for skibags, is this something new, presumably Manchester to Heathrow????

Regards,

Greg
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gregh, yep. One hold bag and one cabin bag only. Anything else gets charged excess Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
marc gledhill, although it doesn't say so, if you are flying longhaul, you're allowed the extra baggage allowance on the domestic portion of the flights too. I know this as I checked before we went to Canada last Easter. We just checked in at Newcastle with 1 skibag, 2 bootbags and assorted cases , no excess as long as we weren't over the 32kg baggage limit.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, yes, I've done that a few times myself.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gregh wrote:
Marc,

I've never heard of BA charging for skibags, is this something new, presumably Manchester to Heathrow????

Regards,

Greg

In Dec I flew from Manc to Gatwick via jet2.com Same rules of one hand and one hold bag. I had a carry on bag, suitcase & boot bag (no skis). I was worried about been charged an extra £25 for the boots £5/kilo

I got there early was very pleasent to the check in lady and got them on for no extra cost.
I think if I got there just in time or a bit sharp with them I could have ended up paying.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, even if you are using two different carriers? In my case BA to London, then United Airways to the States. I'd presume they'll still charge.
latest report
marc gledhill, they might not - you should try and see if they will book your bags through the whole way - worst they will say is "no"
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, cheers, I'll try.

It wouldn't have crossed my mind to ask.
ski holidays
marc gledhill, if they do, they will tell you that you have to pick your bags up in Chicago - that's just for a 50 metre walk through customs, then you dump them back again on a conveyor belt, and off they go to SLC.
latest report
I doubt it Foxy, Chicago is a long way from London! As you are on different carriers I suspect you will need to pick your bags up in London and re-check them in at the United transfer desk. BA should be able to get you booked onto the United flight.

regards,

Greg
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy