Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The law ? Teaching your own siblings to ski in France?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Where do I "technically" stand with teaching a friend to ski in France? I have not passed my euro test, however I do have both basic BASI and PSIA 2. I've been teaching my kids for years and never had an issue.

Friend is currently with us in Val D'isere and honestly getting very poor instruction from Evo2 and some of the comments I've heard really do not impress me. Unlike Evo2, but there is always the odd bad egg out there.

So If I take my friend out and teach her am I breaking any rules? Just curious. I'm going to do it anyway, but just was curious on opinion from those who know the facts. I mean, why on earth would I not be able to teach family / friends?

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No problem "teaching" family and friends as long as there is no question of your getting any kind of recompense for it.

If you did, by any chance, get questioned, absolutely do not breathe a word of having any BASI or other qualifications. And if you have a jacket with any badges on, wear a different one.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pam w, Pam, cheers for that. So I just say I'm teaching my family. No probs re jacket. Its all normal kit.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Alex A, if you can swap and get Valerie at Evo2 I would highly recommend her
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
No problem "teaching" family and friends as long as there is no question of your getting any kind of recompense for it.

If you did, by any chance, get questioned, absolutely do not breathe a word of having any BASI or other qualifications. And if you have a jacket with any badges on, wear a different one.

Yes you would be fine in terms of you are not breaking any rules teaching friends and family as long as no money changes hands or you are not receiving payment in kind. HOWEVER it is a grey area if your friend was to hit someone for example then the public prosecutor could look to point the finger of blame at you for being the knowledgeable person in the situation that contributed to let the accident happen. It is a little known area that someone does not need to be 'qualified' in any way but simply seen to be the 'senior' person in the situation to potentially be liable if an accident was to happen whether a beginner, intermediate, on or off piste! But that applies in ANY skiing / snowboarding situation on the mountain even if no friends and family teaching was taking place..... it might sound strange but as instructors even off duty we are ON duty if we are with friends (if you know what I mean).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
And remember, don't say you are teaching, but "coaching". Oh and make sure they pay you in cash in the bar, later.

Don't use the term "bend zee knees" - that's ESF trademark.

and don't use any BASI speak, especially not if there are Galois smoking guys with berets within earshot: words like: A-Frame, Plough Parallel, Common Core and "that will be 100 guineas guv, or should I just add it to your accommodation costs?".

Say "pizza and chips". A lot.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Steve Angus, thanks so much... that's pretty much what i felt.. @davidof, your post made us laugh out loud while drinking lots of red wine wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy