Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski help please volkl kendo sizing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hello, im sure this has been covered a few million times so for that i apologise. Iv recently bought my first skis, a pair off volkl kendo 177s, for reference im 5'9-5'10 ish.... not measured my self in a while, they're a hairs breadth taller than me, but with my boots on their about the same. Iv always rented average range skis, I did my first day on them today on piste in Sweden and they feel great, really smooth and stable, however im finding that i really cant carve as well at slower speeds, i have to be going quite fast, which im comfortable with on most slopes. However i think i wont be able to deal with any accidental mogels as i wont be able to turn as sharp, their just not nippy at all, does anyone else have these skis to compare with? Is it just me moaning about my new skis? Because iv got this nagging feeling in my head their too long for me, doesnt help that all my friends are taller than me and have shorter skis...... Thanks all, Callum
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have the same skis in 177. I am 175cms. They are mounted for telemark. I got mine last year but they were new old stock from about 3 years before. They are excellent bits of kit, but there is no doubt you need to be in charge. Every aspect of skiing well at slow speeds demands excellent technique. So don't be surprised. Enjoy them and persevere.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@treeslayer, I have Mantras (which are fatter) in 177cms. Skis don't know how tall you are. What do you weigh? I'm 60-62 kgs.

I think it's you and your technique and not the skis. Soz and LOLs.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been skiing the kendos in Japan for the last 3 years, and had the latest versions this year. I ski plenty of powder and pistes with 170's and I'm 181cm and never have a problem with the carving even at lower speeds (maybe a tiny bit on ice). Unless your completely powder hounding then they are too long for you.
It would help if you could explain your skiing level/ability as longer kendos shouldn't be an issue if you are a very competent carver and/or quite heavy.

I absolutely love the kendos and think for Japan (not the Alps) they are the best all mountain ski.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just got back, and after my initial thoughts i found them to be amazing as iv been on powder all week. Towards the end of the week some of the slopes started getting a bit moguley,as the snow slowed down, but after doing a few blacks to get back into the swing of things, i was fine and have come away well chuffed with my skis. oh and for reference i am a bit heavier, about 90 kilos.....sadly, and im not amazing but i can carve quite well, it seems my initial fears were unfounded as by the end of the week i loved them! thanks Callum
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They are some great skis once you work the edges. And don't worry I'm significantly heavier than you!

Glad you enjoyed then and the skiing!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks, i probably wont be doing any slalom events any time soon on them, but for what they are sold as, all mountain skis, i really havent found anything to moan about now iv given them some time! was just initially worried as their my first pair and also the longest i had used
Callum
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I also have a pair, 184's. Wicked Ski's!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How tall and heavy are you disaster
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm 5'6" average build girl and skied 170cm Kendos for four days last year and have tested them at demos. I found them very stable at speed and turny enough so long as you got on and skied them. I think they are a quite stiff ski with a metal layer so liked the speed and gave a good confident edge round the bends. Really good ski IMO.

I think length is a bit of a personal preference these days for a fast stiff ski like Kendo I would go longer but I have skied shorter (156 - 166) all mountain and piste skis and generally find shorter to be slower but more playful but it totally depends on the ski. I was offered a hired 148cm park ski recently, to which I laughed but the guy was serious. (took 163cm to his bemusement!)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy