Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen-advice needed

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
tried searching for all the answers i need but failed and find it quicker doing it this way.

Looking at going to Mayrhofen on 19/3/16 with my two boys 16 and 13 and a couple of mates. been to ellmau a couple of times and know it is livelier than there but wondering if it is similiar prices for eating out having a beer etc. not decided whether to go half board or self cater and eat out every night.

i am assuming snow is normally okay in March although know Europe had a bad start this season i am hopeful the snow comes in feb and march.

Our other option is L2A or ADH both of which i know quite well. I love the skiing in france but prefer the prices, mountain restaurants and toilets in austria.

any advice is most welcome as I want to get something booked in next couple of days

cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not a great help as yet to go there. I am off there in March with my non-skiing wife as I thought it would be a good compromise between enjoyable skiing and a great attractive venue for my wife. There should be good options on a number of linked (by bus) mountains in the Zillertal region.

Agree I do prefer the prices/facilities/ambience of Austria.

Have been to Austria mid-March and snow been good.

I have seen some good topics on Mayrhofen on SH. Do a search.

However hedged my bets with weeks in La Plagne/Courchevel/Val D'isere with mates but it is really the off-piste I am aiming for there rather than the all-round holiday you maybe looking for. Non-skiing activities not such an issue for theses outside good food and accomodation.

Sorry in 40 weeks skiing never been to Alpe D'huex or LDA so cannot compare.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mid March in Mayrhofen should be fine, they have picked up some snow recently and normally will be fine to at least the end of March. I think it is a bit dearer in places than Ellmau but not much. I actually prefer just down the valley at Hochzillertal/ Kaltenbach, it is less well known for the party scene but less bottlenecks on the slopes I have heard the gondola at Mayrhofen gets big queues at times (can't confirm, never been there at peak time). You can do both on the same pass
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Penkenbahn queues are allegedly a thing of the past with the new cable car ( http://www.mayrhofner-bergbahnen.com/en/insights/construction-report-penkenbahn ).
But even if not, just avoid the 9am rush by either getting up early (lifts open 8:15 I think) or getting bus to Schwendau.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Col the Yeti wrote:
I actually prefer just down the valley at Hochzillertal/ Kaltenbach, it is less well known for the party scene but less bottlenecks on the slopes I have heard the gondola at Mayrhofen gets big queues at times (can't confirm, never been there at peak time). You can do both on the same pass

This season there is a brand new replacement Penkenbahn gondola at Mayrhofen, so hopefully the big queues there should be a thing of the past. Having said that, I also prefer Kaltenbach/Hochfugen, and there is great apres ski at the Kaltenbach base station at the Postalm. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Penken gondola was replaced for this season so should have much greater uplift capacity. Not seen any reports about queues on the new lift but even on the old one it was fine as long as you avoided the 9 - 9.30 pre ski-school surge. Never much in the way of queues round at the Horberg anyway. New fun slopes up on the Ahorn side look like cracking fun, specially for the boys.

Prices in the Zillertal are pretty reasonable and Mayrhofen has plenty eating/drinking options in town. But if you're not looking to go out every night I find that half-board is usually cheaper and better value.

The wee train down the valley is a fun way to get to another ski area (the train is free if you're wearing ski kit) Kaltenbach is a really good area for lot of cruisy blues/reds, Zell am Ziller is generally steeper and mostly reds. Train stops next to the Kaltenbach gondola carpark, for Zell the train stops in the village centre and you need a 5 minute bus ride to the gondola.

New Year 14/15 it was only €10 for a massive Schnitzel and chips in Rosie's Schnitzel Alm (on Piste Red 18 ). Really was massive - one between two was quite a common order.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You will have a great time in Mayrhofen, very friendly place. Loads of places to eat out at sensible prices plus if you self cater there are supermarkets a plenty and also Hans the butchers opposite the Penken gondola, a meat lovers paradise! Always a range of hot delights available to eat in or takeaway.
Good skiing and boarding area, loads of options, lack of snow is highly unlikely as are crowds at the time you are looking to go. You also have the option of the Hintertux glacier at the end of the valley, which is worth a day out when the weather is good, keep an eye on the forecast and webcams.
Recommended!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
summerseat wrote:
You will have a great time in Mayrhofen, very friendly place. Loads of places to eat out at sensible prices plus if you self cater there are supermarkets a plenty and also Hans the butchers opposite the Penken gondola, a meat lovers paradise! Always a range of hot delights available to eat in or takeaway.
Good skiing and boarding area, loads of options, lack of snow is highly unlikely as are crowds at the time you are looking to go. You also have the option of the Hintertux glacier at the end of the valley, which is worth a day out when the weather is good, keep an eye on the forecast and webcams.
Recommended!

All of the above! Especially the butchers /deli across from the penkenbahn. The hot pork sandwiches are addictive!! We're trying saalbach this time for a change as we've been to mayrhofen quite a few times.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Folks. Thanks for all the advice. That's all the convincing I need. Just waiting on one to confirm our not and will be booking in next 24 hours. Can't wait now. Usually been once already but new baby means only one well in snow this year
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy