Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jacket with part padding and part down - pros and cons?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

I am about to invest in a new ski jacket and am considering a Scandinavian jacket made from partly synthetic down insulation and partly thermocool padding, made by peak performance.

Is there any advantage to the above combination or is a fully synthetic jacket best?

Thanks in advance!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You get a better warmth to weight ratio with down than synthetic. Do you really need that much warmth in a ski jacket though?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peak Performance do make good stuff so if it sounds to your liking it should be great. I still have an excellent SOS -the 'other' Swedish skiwear brand, which used to be quite plain jane and the poorer person's brand while Peak Perfomance was more flashy looking gear.... now the looks seem to have reversed oddly.

I prefer some insulation to my jackets also - the shells are usually too crispy.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks to you both, much appreciated

I am also looking at a Salomon jacket with stretch fabric and an Eider (the Kanda). To be honest, they all seem quite good and it's a question of deciding on features.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peak Performance is a reasonably expensive brand in Sweden, not that this in itself means anything, but I see plenty of people skiing wearing their stuff. My impression is that its more at the fashion end of the scale than performance, but that may just be because their store in Stockholm is on the most exclusive street with Gucci, Prada etc... Personally I've never needed down for warmth, but I presume you have figured you do.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm sold on the whole shell thing personally so not the best judge, but I do get the comment about them being 'crispy'.

Eider jackets look great, but my g/f has had issues with the waterproofing of hers so the Peak Performance one may be a better bet (not had personal experience, but they seem a bit more 'serious').

In terms of features, the best thing I think a ski jacket can have is pockets (apart from being waterproof / breathable etc...)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all, forum very helpful as always

Final question - when you say the shells is "crispy" do you mean the material on the outside.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What I meant was that without insulation to give the jacket some body, it tends to be a bit rustley and crinkley.

Because the stuff I now have is basically just a gore tex outer suit with not much else to it, the jacket tends to crumple up a bit, particularly around the joints. This doesn't bother me, but insulated jackets don't really do this because the padding fills out the shape in a way that under-layers won't (unless the whole set up is really tight which would be quite uncomfortable, and probably less warm). That said, the effect is less noticeable if the gore tex is thicker.

I do sometimes wear my old insulated Nike ski jacket to walk in if it is really cold and I know I'll be standing around for part of it, but I get a lot more mileage out of my current shell as a summer / winter all purpose jacket throughout the year, which tbh is the only way I could really justify the cost anyway.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy