Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Stag Do

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, i am organizing a stag weekend in chamonix in march, and am looking for some advice on activities for the day time.

We are a group of 15 people, mixture of skiers and non-skiers so skiing/snowboarding might not be the best bet, was thinking more along the lines of a sightseeing tour, or sledging or snowmobiling, something that doesn't require any skiing experiencing and hiring equipment etc.

Also was thinking of hiring a table/area in a nightclub for the Saturday night, anyone know if any clubs offer this?

Tried browsing the websites but some experienced advice from someone who knows the resort would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance

Gary
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Err...Chamonix is very ski orientated! Not sure what your looking for in nightlife but it's not got your traditional europop ski resort nightclubs, most are quite underground (the French love their hip hop). I guess you could try and catch an ice hockey game (they serve beer) to start an evening off before hitting some bars. If in Chamonix for sightseeing I'd normally recommend a trip up the Aguille de Midi, but it's fairly expensive for a stag group, or a trip to the mer de glace and the ice caves but again there's not much for a beer hungry stag group to do up there and can't see some lit up ice exciting grown men!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just remembered there's bowling and pool tables in Chamonix Sud.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi mate, thanks for the response, Ice Hockey sounds like fun might check it out. We did want to see a bit of scenery though and get up in to the mountains, without having to actually ski, I have looked at Aguille de Midi but a lot of reviews say it can get very busy unless you get there early, cost isn't too much of an issue.

I have seen something about doing Paret sleds which looks like fun, ever tried that?

http://www.evolution2-chamonix.com/adventures/winter/wilderness-eve
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Luge could be a laugh http://www.chamonixparc.com/index.php/en/summer/chamonix-luge-alpine-coster.html

The Aiguille is likely to be very busy with folks going up to do the Vallee Blanche. Maybe take the train up to Montenvers for sightseeing?

Evo2 a good shout.

Parapente?

Helicopter sightseeing?

These guys might do snowmobiling http://scooterdesneiges.com/scooter-des-neiges-chamonix/

Nightsclubs: Amnesia doesn't open Shocked until 01:00. Locals (that I know) tend to head to the Tof although it's pretty small and there'll be no booking of tables. Also https://www.facebook.com/WhiteHub

"Les Caves" rather more upmarket (although limited winelist) you could probably book a table there.

Many, many places to eat and drink.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
The Luge could be a laugh http://www.chamonixparc.com/index.php/en/summer/chamonix-luge-alpine-coster.html

The old luge used to shut in winter, indeed if the new one stays open it should be worth a go.

No idea on the Parot sleds.

For views without the price of the Aguille de Midi head up Brevent, two stages (cable car onto a gondola), on the opposite side of the valley to mont blanc hence giving great views of the whole massive...and possibly the skiers could have a 4 hour/day pass and meet others up there! Take your own food and drinks up though and sit with all the other picnickers as the restaurant is really pricey!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@manicpb, I haven't been on in Winter but it claims to be open. It's a very different design - I think the old one relied too much on very direct friction and so covered in snow and ice would have been lethal Twisted Evil The new one is a little more sophisticated looking.

Top of Brevent a good idea - I don't the very top restaurant is any very much pricier than anywhere else.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Are you sure that even if snow conditions are epic your skiers and boarders won't shog off and leave a sad little group behind?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@pam w, LOL Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hahaha, actually pamw yes it has been mentioned, a couple of the skiers have suggested there is no way they can go to Chamonix and not ski, hence the reason I've got to try and find something to do as a group, to stop the "sad little group" scenario happening.

The luge sounds interesting, how does that work? is it like a little mini theme park where you pay to go in and have as many goes as you want, or is it pay per ride sort of thing? Do you have to get a ski lift to the top of it?

Brevent sounds perfect, and looks like the cable car leaves from the centre of Chamonix which is handy. Can we just get drinks/beers at the restaurant at the top?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
The luge sounds interesting, how does that work? is it like a little mini theme park where you pay to go in and have as many goes as you want, or is it pay per ride sort of thing? Do you have to get a ski lift to the top of it?

Pay per ride. Yes, you have to take possibly the oldest 2 man chairlift in the valley to the top.

Quote:
Brevent sounds perfect, and looks like the cable car leaves from the centre of Chamonix which is handy. Can we just get drinks/beers at the restaurant at the top?

Yes you can get drinks at the top, I've taken family there and a coke or hot chocolate was around a fiver...beers closer to a tenner I'd guess. I'd suggest one round of drinks and a hip flask of something whilst you have a gaze at the views on the otherside back towards lowland France.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@GaryDig, if someone told me I was going to Chamonix on a stag-do and then said I couldn't ski whilst I was there, I would be inclined to tell them to stick their daytime activity up their whatsit, however fun it was!

On a more serious note, a weekend of boozing in a French ski resort is about as expensive a stag-do as you are going to find, I would think.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
paint balling and go karting in passy although you'll need to check if its open...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Are you a skier/boarder, @GaryDig? I think rainman has a fair point. People will be paying to get to an iconic ski resort and drink expensive beer.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm not a skier/boarder, and neither are most of the guys going, and even the ones that are I wouldn't say are super keen. We just are all in our 30's and are done with the Magaluf/Prague etc type stag do, and a weekend in the snow I thought would make a nice change. However while we were there it would be a shame not to at least get up in to the mountains at some point, even if we don't ski/board back down.

We're not really worried about beer costs, the other option on the table was Vegas so the way i see it we've all saved over a grand on flights before we even get there!
latest report
Well in that case I suggest you do try to get up the Aiguille du Midi. You need to pick a sunny day and wear many layers if you want to spend time out on the viewing platforms.
latest report
Out of curiosity, why Chamonix in particular?

I'd have thought there were better destinations in the mountains for a stag weekend.

Austria (generally) is much more party-oriented and (generally) less expensive to party in.
snow report
might be fun:

http://www.evolution2-chamonix.com/adventures/winter/wilderness-eve
snow report
Chamonix was chosen mainly because of the relatively short travel time, short flight and easy transfers from Geneva, which when only staying 2 nights is important. Plus of course everyone i spoke to said Chamonix is a really cool place.

Thanks Eddie, those sleds look perfect, and i have reached out to the organisers.
snow conditions
@Cacciatore, +1

I'd say Morzine is a better shot. Done both for boys weekends but they are really aimed for skiing/boarding in the winter season. Going to suggest golf until the snow came last week Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
@GaryDig, Salzburg to somewhere like Saalbach is a little over an hour and a half - I'd have thought that would be a much better destination to be honest. Traditional town, plenty of things to do and huge variety of bars/clubs, live bands, food options etc etc.

Just at the top of the beginner slope in Saalbach is the legendary Hinterhag Alm - banging apres destination (its a huge wooden barn) that non-skiers can easily access via the chair lift and then walk/slipe/slide down from, afterwards...usually around 6pm or so.. Dancing on the tables sort of place that kicks off at around 3pm!! Be warned!!

Flights from London airports are 2 hours and not massively expensive.

As others have said - Cham is a bit of a skiing mecca and the skiers on your group would probably not want to miss out on that....Saalbach has some top skiing, but I reckon it would mix better for your group as a whole.
snow conditions
Thanks guys but flights and accom at Chamonix is booked, hence the need for advice on Chamonix rather the other resorts.
snow report
Ahhh - possibly not clear from the earlier posts.

Have fun and good luck with the planning.
ski holidays
Chamonix has the highest proportion of men to women in the entire Alps !
Try letof bar Shocked

Just a word of advice, if there's any idiots in your group then stay away from because if they're the type to look for trouble then they'll find it in chamonix.
snow report
@gad, where is letof bar?
ski holidays
http://www.chamonet.com/nightclubs/le-tof-nightclub-chamonix-main-town-36346

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 7-01-16 21:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Sorry I meant le tof, a load of us went in and ordered a load of drinks and the barman kindly gave us a load of free shots ...... On a 12 inch wooden phallic shaped tray http://www.chamonet.com/nightclubs/le-tof-nightclub-chamonix-main-town-36346:shock: Shocked
It was a bit like this
http://youtube.com/v/PtTCIDCQF6s
snow report
Ha ha @gad, was the rainbow above the door not a bit of a giveaway?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name,
Very Happy we were in a bar across the forecourt and we just saw a few people going in and just thought " that place looks busy"
One of our lads went out to ring somebody and have a ciggie, as he walking back down the stairs he saw the pictures of Rock Hudson, Freddie Mercury ect on the wall and came running down the stairs shouting " lads, this is a ga......"
We were already running past him !
snow conditions
@gad, ah, don't be so prejudiced. It's the locals (of all interests) go to get lashed late bar.

Awesome.
latest report
Switch to Verbier.
snow conditions
It's been a while since I was in chamonix but that incident has certainly stuck with us Very Happy
And prejudice Shocked I'm a mancunian, it's just not allowed round this neck of the woods Cool
latest report
Friends went to Chamonix for a hen do and enjoyed it - you'll be fine - it's a big enough place and I'm sure you're all find a way to enjoy it snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

I'm a mancunian, it's just not allowed round this neck of the woods

Canal Street not a favourite hangout then ? Toofy Grin
latest report
No pun intended wink
snow conditions
@gad, Non at all Smile
ski holidays
gad wrote:

Very Happy we were in a bar across the forecourt and we just saw a few people going in and just thought " that place looks busy"
One of our lads went out to ring somebody

Right place, right time, I guess...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy