Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis in a VW Golf

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have experience of fitting skis into a VW Golf or similar sized car ? I am considering hiring one from Turin airport and we will be travelling with 2 pairs of skis (167cm) and 3 bags, will have 2 passengers but I am not too worried about their comfort as it will only be a short transfer. Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I managed to get two pairs of skis in a VW Up last year. We were only travelling from St Gervais centre to the lifts and back... but they fitted over the seats between the front and back windows (just). If I were doing it again... I would bring a binbag or two to wrap them in so that they didn't get everything soaking wet with melting snow!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Should be no problem at all with the back seats down.

I have a 1 series (pretty much the same size) and, due to a friend's car breaking down last week, we managed to fit 3 proper luggage bags, 4 people, and one set of skis of about that length, in the car with just one seat folded down (the rest of the skis and boards went on the roof).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have a Leon.
Big part of the splitfold rear seat down, skis right down the middle, and then you can get 2 passengers and luggage in. It's cosy though.
Helps if the bags are rucksacks or squishy bags rather than hard suitcases. Coffin bag will need to have skis/board taken out and the bag folded in half.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@nevergreenterrace, hired a VW Golf from Basel at the start of December en route to Engelberg. Folded down back seats, fitted in two pairs of skis (180cm and 182cm) in a cross fashion, tight but do-able. Use a fleece or jacket to protect the back of the front seats.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@nevergreenterrace, I have a series 7 Golf GTD, in the rear seat the central armrest is also a hatch to the boot, large enough to get your skis in and through between the two front seats, leaving very adequate space for the two rear passengers. just did this today taking my 180 skis for a service to our local ski shop. you may need to take out the parcel self to get bags in for four people though!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have an Alfa Mito, much smaller than a Golf, my skis fit in the front passenger seat by reclining the seat back by about a foot.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have a VW Golf and regularly collect wood from the DIY store at 2.4m in length!

Simply lay down the front passenger seat and the small part of the split rear seats and Bob's your uncle, two passengers in the back and plenty of room for even the longest of skis!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had an Audi S3 and with one part of the rear seats folded then the skis fit it diagonally and the luggage around/under them still room for a front seat passenger if the seat is moved forward and the other passenger in the remaining rear seat. No problem. I have used it with 1 set of skis through from the rear, over the centre console and 3 passengers in the car.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
diagonal is how I usually fit mine if it's just me.
183cm K2's need to fit with tips at the rear left of the boot, and then tails wedge nicely between the front-right seat and the rear right door.
Anything shorter just fits with no problems. Anything much longer, just stick them down the middle.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Should be fine. My 180 cm long ones are about 2" too long for my similarly sized Alfa 147 GTA, but the smaller 168s are fine with one of the split seats down.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Handirack is your answer:

http://www.handiworld.com/handirack-104.html
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all of your reassurance. @altis, the handirack looks good but it costs nearly as much as the car hire for a week plus I am not bothered about the comfort of the passengers.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Having spent plenty of time gadding around the Alps in a hired VW Polo, (and sometimes with a passenger), I can tell you that the way to do it is this: simply wind the passenger front seat all the way back until it is as flat as it will go. Even my 179cm Missions go in like this. Passenger has to sit behind the driver. Bags can go on top of skis.

snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nevergreenterrace,
We've regularly hired Corsa-sized vehicles in the Alps and have always managed 4 pairs of skis "down the middle" in 2 ski bags.

You will have no problem with a Golf, not least as there will be only 1 passenger in the front & 1 in the back. You can fold 2/3 of the back seat down and Bobs yer uncle!
snow report
Be warned that, although you have booked a Golf, you may not actually get one. I remember once we were 'upgraded' from a Mondeo Estate (easily big enough for the five of us) to a Tiguan which turned out to be far smaller. I was certainly glad of the Handirack that day.
snow report
As long as its not a diesel........
snow conditions
works the other way sometimes.
Got a Hyundai Tuscon instead of a Golf as a rental car recently. Get those 180 skis in without them even poking thru between the front seats.
Did get a Volvo S80 instead of a Focus once though.
snow report
@nevergreenterrace, we hired a 2015 VW Golf from Bourg St Maurice a couple of weeks ago. Driver +2 passengers, 3 pairs of skis & sets of poles. Longest skis 175cms. Folded down the 1/3rd section of rear seat and no problem getting skis in. Definitely worth checking by phone, a day or two in advance, that you're getting a Golf, as they have a habit of substituting other models which may not suit your load so well. BTW, the Golf was brilliant to drive, really hugged the tight bends up and down to Les Arcs and Val D'Isere!
snow report
@nevergreenterrace, last trip to chatel. Audi a3. 4 guys, 4 decent sized bags. 1 snowboard. 1 skis

Cosy but cheeeep. Look easy with your requirements
ski holidays
My old man used to get a surfboard in a Peugeot 106, so skis in a Golf should be easy.
latest report
@nevergreenterrace, If they have an Octavia there is no problem - cheaper than a Golf.
http://www.parkers.co.uk/Images/PageFiles/155494/Skoda_Octavia_Estate_4x4_8.jpg
https://www.google.dk/imgres?imgurl=http://cs631517.vk.me/v631517058/5829/nmm5mLqXHY8.jpg&imgrefurl=http://vk.com/dinaplus&h=146&w=200&tbnid=godYaqixIAtTVM&tbnh=116&tbnw=160&usg=__odbHVFwvQuINS2Tc_q2sKAazfU8=&docid=onohLExbsY9_gM

Hope this works Shocked
snow report
Not all Golfs have ski hatches, my Mk6 doesn't, but I'm pretty sure all Golfs have a split-folding rear seats which should give you enough length for your 167s and 2/3 passengers, depending which side you fold down.

As some have said, you aren't guaranteed an exact model of car, only a certain class. You could be unlucky and get given a car where the back seat is fixed or only folds in one piece. You could try them for an alternative model with a ski hatch or split-fold seats or alternatively use the front passenger footwell with the seat reclined to accommodate the length. Your two passengers would then have a cosy ride behind you.
latest report
Stick the front seat passenger in the car, take the skis out of the bag and run them down the length of the car between front passenger and their door.

I've had two pairs of skis, one set 191cm, in a Ka doing this.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy