Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel to Val Thorens in a day?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello! Long-time lurker, first-time poster; it's nice to finally see everyone's usernames!

I'm off out to Courchevel 1850 in two weeks, for my third week snowboarding (and third week in the Three Valleys). I'm nice and comfortable on blues, progressing onto reds, but I'm obviously still in that beginner mode.

I'm going to get a full Three Valleys pass this year rather than just a Courchevel pass, but I wondered whether it was feasible to get from 1850 over to Val Thorens and back in a single day or whether I'm going to strand myself — both in terms of choice of runs for my skill level and being a border, and in terms of time.

Thanks in advance!

(I searched and could only find posts from quite a while ago, and I'm aware that runs and lifts have changed a fair bit since then — apologies if this has been asked more recently than I was able to find.)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi @robmiller, welcome to Snowheads snowHead it's very feasible for you to get to VT and back in a day. How long you'll get there will depend on how quickly you make progress, whether you get caught in any queues, how many times you stop to look at the piste map etc, etc. What you do not want to happen is being in the wrong valley when the lifts stop. You're looking at a very expensive taxi ride home if this happens. Enjoy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @Timberwolf! Does anyone have any tips on a beginner- and snowboard-friendly route?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It should be feasible as a beginner...just plan ahead, so you know your route and dont over extend the day.
As a beginner I managed Courcheval from VT several times.
Dont linger too long in Vt.
Poss do a trial, going up to top of meribel valley, one day, to get the feel of pistes and route.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A few years since I was there but think I'm right in saying that you only need four or five lifts out of Courchevel 1850 to get to Val T. It does involve some long runs though.
- Gondola out of 1850.
- Cable car up to Saulire.
- Head down past the big rock & fork L to Mottaret.
- 2(??)stage gondola from there.
- Down to long chair.
- Up to ridge above Val T - go L for Val T or R for Les Menuires & St Martin.

It's worth timing how long it takes you to get there - just to make sure you allow enough time for a few runs around Val T before heading back.

Also, if you're up for it, the ridiculous zip wire (with a 2 or 3000ft drop below you Shocked) above VT is worth a go - Mrs MA and I loved it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
To get to the zip wire requires heading into the '4th valley' and going as far as possible from 1850 as you can get, so beware of time!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Timing yourself on the way out is a good idea - how long from the first lift to the top of the ridge before you drop into Val T from the Meribel valley? I've not stayed in Courchevel, but in April it took me 1.5 hrs to get from Val T to the top of the ridge at Saulire (I think you can ski down to base from here?). I've been skiing a bit longer than you though, so allow a couple of hours.

The big restaurant base in the centre of the ski area in Val T with the knife and fork on the roof is good for a fast and fairly cheap lunch if you go somewhere like the noodle bar.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It was many years ago, but I skied from Courchevel 1650 to VT and back in a day with my dad. We stuck mainly to blues and reds and my legs were really tired at the end of it. It was only my second week skiing and it had been a few years since the first time, so I was still a bit of a newbie.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you get stuck in Meribel it's not the end of the world as there's a connecting road to Courcheval. Get stuck in Val T it's a trip down to Moutiers and back up.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I managed to get to the bottom of Orelle from La Tania and back again in a day without too much hassle, although didn't stop much and had a short lunch in Meribel at about 3pm on yet way back.

I was exactly speed skiing and took the odd wrong turn so took about 2 hours to get there. What I would say is don't head there on the first day or too (while you're still getting your snow legs back) and don't head there in poor weather.

The run back from VT to Meribel will be a bit tricky if you want to stay clear of red runs or if it's a hit icy so plan your route. However Meribel to 1850 should be no trouble as there are a couple of ways to head. Like others said, I'd try a trial run to the VT side of Meribel and see how long it takes. When I went over Christmas the main problem I had was either forgetting which run of planned to do (and doing the wrong one) or planning to ski a piste and then finding out it was closed due to lack of snow. 2 hours should be a reasonable amount of time to get there, slightly less on the way back as it's more direct but allow for the lift out of the VT valley to be busy. Thankfully there is a gondola as well as a chair that both go to the same spot.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As already said, very possible but you really need to do a couple of reds or its quite complicated getting back. Beware though of using the Ours blue run on the way back. It looks like an easy route back down the Meribel valley but its very flat in places. Instead use the Plan du Main chair.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@robmiller, I stayed in VT for my first or second trip and would have been at a similar level to you by the sounds of things. The rest of my group were of a similar level and we had no problems getting right across to Courchevel in a morning never mind a day so you'll be fine. It's actually easier to go from Courchevel to VT than the reverse because the lift closing times are less stressful. The route I'd take would be Verdons-Saulire, then down whichever way you prefer. The one I'd pick would be whichever run you want to get into Mottaret. If you choose that way, then it's a simple matter of Plattieres 1 and 2 (the same lift just stay in it after the halfway point), then a quick run down to Cote Brune, then you're down into VT. You'll actually only have done 1 long descent and one very short one by this stage so even if you are just heel sliding, you'll get to the top of VT in under 2 h. Take a note of the lift closing times for the way home. The one to worry about is Plan des Mains and Pas du Lac because that's your best route home.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@robmiller, Welcome to SH. We stayed in VT Xmas 2014 and managed to get across the 3V and back (almost) We are both boarders but what trip us up was

1. unexpected closed runs during the day
2. hit a very icy run in to Meribel which was total mayhem with bodies all over the piste
3. missus broke her wrist on the run in to les menuires (forced this way due to closed run)
4. had to walk with her about 2 miles and was losing the light
5. missed the free shuttle back to VT so had to get a 30 euro taxi.

Would we do it again, certainly. BUT having a backup plan is required if you are only comfortable on greens/blues.

As other have suggested do trial runs through the week getting further across. Also check the weather and pick a day you know will be clear and good conditions.

Good luck and enjoy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As a (relative) beginner boarder, one of your most challenging sections will be at the top of Saulire, getting over to Meribel. It's relatively flat tracks which can be busy at times. Don't be too proud to unclip and walk down the side if you're struggling. Better than taking yourself and someone else out.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Very good tip above about avoiding the 'piste' Ours. It is a mostly flat track and a long one. Not a place for boarders.
ski holidays
@robmiller, definitely feasible. Quite a few years ago we took the ski guiding with skiworld (when TO could offer this) and went from Val Thorens to La Tania (for lunch) and back again! There were a few 3 x season skiers in the group but no boarders.

Not sure who you are going with, but Crystal have launched a ski app for this season that gives some suggestions on ski routes in their resorts. It's linked to GPS so should at least tell you where you are in the map. You don't have to be a Crystal customer to use it but it does effectively give you a ski guide in your pocket. Had a look but can't see a suggested route from 1850 to VT but there is an easy route around VT. I hope as the app develops it will add more useful routes.
snow report
Agree with everything above - we've done it with a big family group in the past - including Orelle / 4th Valley - where we had a bit of an adventure when the lift (the only lift then - dont know if still only one) back broke down. We got back over to Meribel (just) and avoided the 80 mile / 250 euro (quoted to us when we went down to the ticket office in the car park) taxi journey home.
ski holidays
and interesting to note that Orelle to VT is slightly further than Orelle to Courcheval. Whilst Meribel to La Tania is 4 miles by road.
ski holidays
Crystal ski have an app which will give you runs and their difficulties and will let you know roughly how long it will take. I used it in val thorens on the first day last year and it worked perfectly (written out on a piece of paper). adapt your time to your ability though. Its worth a look, think its free too. Smile
latest report
Hi @robmiller nice to see another snowboarder posting here!

Yes, I've made it over from Courchevel to VT on my board. There are boards which show which lifts are running and you should definitely keep an eye on the watch.

Definitely avoid the run into Meribel called 'Ours' - it is a very flat track, and I have ended up unstrapping and walking a lot of it. If you are dropping back into the Meribel valley from VT along the red 'Lac de la Chambre' run, keep your eyes peeled for a lift off to the left side called 'Plan des Mains', which takes you back up the hill and gives a better (ie not flat) run into Meribel.

Have fun!
ski holidays
As you will have gathered it's easily doable. Couple of points- keep an eye on the weather, if a storm comes in they do close the lifts which connect the valleys. Also,don't cut it too fine. Got stranded in Mottaret once as they'd started putting the cabins away for the night and ran out of cabins so they just shut the lift early. We pointed out that it was ten minutes early but they just shrugged their shoulders and went home. TAXI!!
latest report
@tomj, is spot on with his advice. Avoid Ours at all costs on the way back to Mottaret. It is grim on skis, so a long dull walk with a board. Plan des Mains is up a slight slope on skier's (boarder's) left just before you get to the Vallon lifts. It takes you up to a parallel run called Rossignol, which delivers you to the Pas de Lac lift in Mottaret. Easy from there.

snowHead
snow conditions
@robmiller,

My personal view would be that you should head up Coqs and down to the Dous Des Lanches chair as that would take you to the Meribel ridge avoiding Saulire entirely (I remember dropping into Meribel from up there when I was a 2-week boarder, it might feel intimidating when busy but that is entirely my own viewpoint ...).

As others have mentioned / plus some additional points :

- plan your route taking lift closing times into consideration
- avoid "Ours" like the plague (I nearly filed for divorce on that run)
- Lac de la Chambre is narrow in bits and you need to keep your speed up
- the last 3rd of Martre into Mottaret (on your way back) is likely to be chopped up / busy
- if you head up Saulire on your way back then bear in mind that the otherwise lovely Combe de Saulire might be icy
- personally I would go up to the Meribel Altiport section and head up Col de la Loze and then down into 1850
- when in VT I would stick to the LHS of the map (Moraine / Portette / Fond lifts) as this would give you a varied selection of glorious blues and reds
- try and do Jerusalem and drop down to St Martin on another day

Enjoy.
snow conditions
The piste from Saulire down to Motteret is red and coming back the run from top of Col de la Chambre to the Plan de Mains chair is red for the top part. Everything else is blue unless you choose otherwise.

It's very possible as a day trip, I have started from Motteret and been to the top of Cime de Carron and back in less than 3 hours on skis. Just make sure you choose a good day, weather wise.

Have fun
snow report
If you go to Meribel via the Col de la Loze then you don't end up in Motteret and you need at least one more uplift to get a run into Motteret. Still very doable time wise and the runs to Motteret are all pretty easy. If going that way then take the Chenus gondola from 1850 and the pistes loze est and Arroles to Duo des Lanches, if you want easy runs, or the reds either Lanches or Bouc Blanc will take you to the Dou des Lanches.

From Saulire down to 1850 you can use creux and a variety of other pistes to get to 1850, if Combe is is bad.

If you want to come back from Motteret via the Col de la Loze then continue down piste Truite to Chaudanne, take the Rhodos bubble to the top and ski down to the Loze Express. Or if you still have time take Pas du Lac to the mid station and ski down the blue keeping right all the way to the Loze Express.

Enjoy
ski holidays
i've done courcheval to orelle, and la tania to orelle on different days..including a coffee stop and lunch, no big problem, just make sure you get to the bottom of the two man lift to take you out of meribel upto la tania.. otherwise is a bus or taxi
snow conditions
Amazing advice, thanks everyone for the help. Sounds like it's one for a sunny Wednesday or Thursday, once I've got my snow legs and when there's less risk of lift closures. I just watched a video of Ours and it looks truly awful, so I'll be avoiding that like the plague!

The routes that take Col de la Loze rather than Saulire seem appealing, but thinking about the layout of the valleys it feels like those routes will be much longer — is that not the case? (Would you go up, say, Tougnette and then back down into Mottaret before going up and over into VT, or would you go over at Tougnette and then get up to VT from Les Menuires? The geographical inaccuracies in piste maps make it hard to judge the distances!)

For sheer efficiency it seems hard to beat @monkey's route (Saulire, Plattieres, Cote Brune on the way; down Lac de Chambre, up Plan des Mains, up Pas du Lac on the way back), but I need to be comfortable with the idea of a the reds down from Saulire in the morning and in particular a late-afternoon trip down Combe du Saulire for that one I think — so if I make some progress earlier in the week then I think that's the one to go for.

Thanks all!
snow conditions
@robmillar From Meribel Chaudanne to VT I would recommend Tougnette gondola and the easy blue/green (perdrix/furet) to Motteret rather than down into Les Menuires mainly because I think the blue into LM is pretty boring. and you need 1 more uplift.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It is a while since I have skied / boarded in the 3 V so this may be out of date.

Sauliere to Mottaret starts red then eases on to the blue called Aigle which can be a real nightmare sheet of ice for the last 200 yds. No probs in good snow and is usually OK in early morning because the pisteurs push snow onto it. But be aware that boilerplate ice lurks below.

Coming back from VT it used to be really easy to miss Plan de Mains and on the board it is essential you take this route.

If at Sauliere and heading for 1850 I remember preferring to take the Chanrossa lift to get into the 1850 valley.

My favorite lunch stop in VT is the Chalet de Caron it has a huge balcony if sunny and is cosy inside if not.

A anyway enjoy the trip,
latest report
@robmiller, take a look here at some suggested itineraries http://www.courchnet.com/ski-area/itineraries Number 8 is a 3 Valley blue run circuit (although I don't think it takes you all the way to VT.

Have fun!

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 9-01-16 12:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@J9, that's a good site, but can you take the full stop off the end of the URL so people can click straight through Smile

I have repeated it below without full stop

http://www.courchnet.com/ski-area/itineraries
snow report
Thanks @Steveee ! I have edited it as well for good order.
ski holidays
@TQA Aigle is marked as red all the way down these days but I don't recall it being too bad unless icy. Chanrossa takes you into the 1650 valley but not a problem as the buses are good if you get stuck.

@robmiller take a look at the route number 7 on the link from J9 for some suggested routes from Courchevel to VT although there might be some reds to get down.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy